• WBPDX
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1983 KZ750 H3
More
18 Jan 2009 13:52 #258614 by WBPDX
SO FRUSTRATED - Run away idle was created by WBPDX
1983 KZ750 H3, stock.

I've been through a whole bunch of drama with this turd. Bad wiring, tight valves, and then a sheered-off timing advancer pin, and a destroyed advancer.

I've now fixed everything that I've discovered wrong. The valves are adjusted, the advancer is new, the pin has been replaced, the cams re-timed and correct, the carbs cleaned for the 4th or 5th time, spark re-checked on every cylinder, checked float levels using clear tube, compression 120psi or better, checked boots carefully. In addition, I replaced a questionable main jet in the #1 carb.

The bike STILL isn't really running on all four cylinders. It seems to be running hot on 1 and 3, cool on 2, and not at all on 4 (still.)

The good news is it no longer back fires out the carbs, and no longer requires riding the starter to start. It fires up pretty much right away.

The bad news is it will not rev up (it used to) except when it is sitting there idling and all the sudden it runs away to redline and has to be shut down.

I'm about to part the bike out. Not because I don't think it can be fixed, but just out of sheer frustration!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WBPDX
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1983 KZ750 H3
More
18 Jan 2009 14:26 #258625 by WBPDX
Replied by WBPDX on topic SO FRUSTRATED - Run away idle
I took the bowl off of the #1 carb just incase I didn't tighten the new jet down, and if any of the plugs were going to leak, it would be #1. I found no problems.

So I started it up and started spraying water and looking carefully, trying to find a air leak.

I was unable to identify any air leaks, but, it was smoking a bit like it was sucking the water in, and, oddly, after letting it run for a few minutes, all four pipes were hot. So the water must have plugged the leak enough for it to fire on all four?

I'm thinking it is the engine-side boots; one does look very questionable (happens to be the non running cylinder, #4)

Any other thoughts? I will probably clean, polish and check all the slides one last time before I order anything.

More
18 Jan 2009 14:45 #258627 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic SO FRUSTRATED - Run away idle
Do you have the stock ignition and coils? The sparkplug caps may be failing along with the coils when they get hot.

Have you thought about doing the "Wired George" relay modification to the ignition system? This bypasses the aged wirng in these older bikes. His website is www.wgcarbs.com it covers the parts and how to wire in the relay.

More than a few guys here have done this modification to their bikes.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
18 Jan 2009 15:13 - 18 Jan 2009 15:14 #258631 by bill_wilcox100
Replied by bill_wilcox100 on topic SO FRUSTRATED - Run away idle
WBPDX, troubleshooting old bikes is like pealing an onion. You shed a few tears with each new layer. :(

Sounds as if you have found the next layer. I changed my carb mounts and it solved one of my symptoms. Not the cheapest fix but what can you do.

You will not know how many layers you have until they are all solved.

Best of success. :)

1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Dyna S Electronic Ignition (DS2-2)
- Dyna 3 Ohm Coils (DC1-1)
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Progressive Springs Front & Rear
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
- New Metallic Red Re-Paint & Repro Badges.
Montreal, Canada
Last edit: 18 Jan 2009 15:14 by bill_wilcox100.

More
18 Jan 2009 15:51 #258643 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic SO FRUSTRATED - Run away idle
If the carb holders haven't been replaced in recent memory I would start there. Reason is, even if that doesn't completely solve the problem it eliminates one more variable and it will need to be done eventually anyway. I replaced mine a couple years ago and it really improved the idle. Are you running the stock exhaust and airbox? Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
18 Jan 2009 16:03 #258646 by ironyankee
Replied by ironyankee on topic SO FRUSTRATED - Run away idle
I would check the intake manifolds(carb rubbers)Mine were in good shape but the bolts that hold them onto the block were loose.I would check them and you could probably put a little hi-temp sealer where they plug onto the motor.I was gettin' pissed at my back fire and a cool #3 pipe too.Take a break and come back with a cool head.You've already done the hard stuff-you're almost there.

• WBPDX
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1983 KZ750 H3
More
18 Jan 2009 16:06 #258648 by WBPDX
Replied by WBPDX on topic SO FRUSTRATED - Run away idle
Yes, stock airbox and exhaust.

I tried putting some gasket maker on the cracks in the carb holders, it didn't really make any difference.

I did discover two slightly sticky slides. I cleaned them and put a drop of 2 stroke oil on them...

I think what that did was let them not stick DOWN, as the bike now pretty much fires up and idles at 5-8k, if reved, it will go higher and stay there. Seems like a major vac leak, but where it is coming from is completely NOT obvious.

I think I am going to get new carb holders, and also replace the float needles for the heck of it. Maybe the little plugs that hide the idle-meter jets as well. If there is no improvement, I am going to part it out or sell it as a parts bike.

Also, I would consider rejetting for pods, just because it is SUCH a chore to get the carbs off! But I'd like to get a baseline where it actually runs first!

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
18 Jan 2009 16:07 #258649 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic SO FRUSTRATED - Run away idle
When you check for vacum leaks use carb cleaner or something flamable and spray suspected areas, if leaking the idle will rise. I dont think water is what you should use, but I have never tried it.

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

More
18 Jan 2009 17:09 #258664 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic SO FRUSTRATED - Run away idle
Kawickrice wrote:

When you check for vacum leaks use carb cleaner or something flamable and spray suspected areas, if leaking the idle will rise. I dont think water is what you should use, but I have never tried it.

Would concur about not using water spray.

Could try WD40 or propane gas sprayed about the carb holders and vacuum caps to help determine whether outside air is being sucked into the fuel mixture. Listen for changes in rpm and look for extra smoke from the exhaust, as indications that fuel mixture going into the combustion chamber is being affected by air drawn in through cracks or leaks in the carb holders or vacuum caps.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
18 Jan 2009 17:26 #258669 by ironyankee
Hold up a minute.If you have cracked carb boots and you know your slides aren't moving this is where your problems are.Is this a 650 or 750?Your post says '83 750 H3.I have a '83 650 H3. Typo? Anyway if it was me I'd Get some black electrical tape and give those carb rubbers a few wraps to possibly stop air leakage and get the idle down.Don't throw anymore money at it till we figure out it's problems.Airbox with filter in place?If you have an '83 you have CV carbs,right? It is possible that you may have diaphrams with holes or tears.Fixable so it's not the end of the world.Have you done a compression test? Stay cool and keep posting.If not and you are serious about parting it out post your location. these bikes piss everyone off at times but it takes patience and you've got alot of people here that can help.Stay with it.

More
18 Jan 2009 17:34 #258672 by ironyankee
Sorry I went and read you're first posts.You've got good compression the bike runs but the idle is way out,right? Air leaks or maladjusted linkage/cables.Try slowing down the air flow you've got the stock airbox and filter so take a rag and stuff it into the air filter opening under the seat.This is how I start my 650 when it's cold-it blocks alot of the air and richens up the mixture.It's worth a shot right? Pull the plugs and check the color.Super white means super lean.Keep us posted.

More
18 Jan 2009 17:44 #258673 by ironyankee
Here's another tip or something you can try.Find the carb synch screws. 3 of them right? The one that the idle screw pushes against is your base carb.Loosen the lock nut and turn the screw (clockwise?) one turn.This will help getting the linkage at a lower idle point.If you have to pull your carbs take the airbox rubbers out and soak them in brake fluid.Helps to revitalize them a bit and make them easier to install.You have tight clamps on the manifolds?