need float hight #'s having problem with 81 750ltd

• cott10r
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Motorcyclist for life!!!
More
29 Dec 2008 10:49 #255254 by cott10r
well my cherry 750 isnt so cherry :laugh: after taking it for a ride the other day i discovered it was not running on the #1 cyl, well the culprit turned out to be the float was in it upside down and whoever done it also had the float needle clipped in wrong. i put everything in right but now gas leaks out of the bottom of float bowl, i checked to make sure the rubber and the float bowl drain screw were good and they are. im thinking the float hight might be wrong and causing gas to drain thru the brass vent attached to the float bowl. the bike runs fine but drips gas constantly.

2012 kawasaki concours 14
2014 suzuki gsxr 1000
2014 honda crf 250L
1983 kawasaki gpz 550

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Dec 2008 13:18 #255268 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic need float hight #'s having problem with 81 750ltd
Hmmm.... I would think if the fuel level was high enough to drain gas out the overflow constantly, the bike would run like crap. Mine wouldn't run right with one float set about 1mm to rich for fuel level.

Anyway, I think your bike has Mikuni BS-38's and the correct fuel level for those is 4.5 - 6.5mm below the lower edge of the carburetor body (just above the bowl). You measure it using the clear tube method and adjust by bending the tang on the middle of the float.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
29 Dec 2008 14:58 - 29 Dec 2008 15:10 #255284 by Patton
One common cause for fuel overflow is where the float needle/seat interface isn't correctly seating, due to crud or grit, or worn parts, or possibly a damaged or sticking float, or upside-down assembly of float, or other mis-assembly.

Another cause, as bountyhunter suggested, is a too high float level setting.

And here's yet another possible cause.
Some carb overflow circuits include a small brass tube inside which sticks up from the bottom of the floatbowl.

The tube has a hole through its centerline whereby fuel rising high enough is allowed to escape through the tube and flow through an outlet nipple located on exterior bottom of bowl. Typically, a rubber hose attached to the nipple directs escaping fuel over the swingarm to drip out underneath the bike.

A possible source of leaking fuel is sometimes a crack in the tube or a break where the tube connects to the floatbowl floor. The crack may be small and difficult to detect. But it's easy enough to test integrity of the tube with the floatbowl removed and in hand. Just fill the bowl with fuel (or common rubbing alcohol for a more pleasant odor) almost to top of the tube, and see if there's any leakage from the nipple. Not supposed to be any leakage. But will leak if the tube is cracked.

Just something to check out, especially where satisfied that the float needle/seat interface is clean and correctly seating and that the float level is set to specs, and parts correctly assembled.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 29 Dec 2008 15:10 by Patton.

• cott10r
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
30 Dec 2008 08:10 #255352 by cott10r
bountyhunter wrote:

Hmmm.... I would think if the fuel level was high enough to drain gas out the overflow constantly, the bike would run like crap. Mine wouldn't run right with one float set about 1mm to rich for fuel level.

Anyway, I think your bike has Mikuni BS-38's and the correct fuel level for those is 4.5 - 6.5mm below the lower edge of the carburetor body (just above the bowl). You measure it using the clear tube method and adjust by bending the tang on the middle of the float.

ok, what is the clear tube method

2014 suzuki gsxr 1000
2014 honda crf 250L
1983 kawasaki gpz 550

More
30 Dec 2008 12:28 - 30 Dec 2008 12:32 #255386 by OKC_Kent
Get a clear fuel line and attach it to the bowl drain. You may need a nipple in the end or if the tube is the right size you can jam it in the drain screw. Some carbs have the drain port already and you can just slide the tube on. Make marks on the tube, mark them at whatever the fuel service level happens to be, ex. 3-5mm fuel level. Hold the tube as pictured so the top mark is at the bowl/body junction and adjust the float until the fuel level sits at the proper mark.

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles
Attachments:
Last edit: 30 Dec 2008 12:32 by OKC_Kent.

More
30 Dec 2008 12:33 #255387 by OKC_Kent
pic 2

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles
Attachments:

More
30 Dec 2008 13:26 - 30 Dec 2008 13:29 #255402 by Patton
Where carb has both a drain screw and a separate overflow nipple, be sure to use the drain screw hole when checking the fuel level.

Typically, the drain screw is side-located on lower part of float bowl, and overflow nipple is from bottom of float bowl.

Am uncertain, but thinking some carbs have a combo drain/overflow nipple which may be used for the clear tube test.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 30 Dec 2008 13:29 by Patton.

More
30 Dec 2008 15:21 - 30 Dec 2008 15:22 #255421 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic need float hight #'s having problem with 81 750ltd
On mine, the overflow nipple couldn't work because the fuel can't get into it under normal levels. The drain screw hole is definitely the right place to connect the bottom of the clear tube.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 30 Dec 2008 15:22 by bountyhunter.

• cott10r
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
30 Dec 2008 18:04 #255444 by cott10r
Patton wrote:

Where carb has both a drain screw and a separate overflow nipple, be sure to use the drain screw hole when checking the fuel level.

Typically, the drain screw is side-located on lower part of float bowl, and overflow nipple is from bottom of float bowl.

Am uncertain, but thinking some carbs have a combo drain/overflow nipple which may be used for the clear tube test.

man you guys are awsome, mine does have the brass colored rod that runs from the bottom of the float bowl up so im thinking that i will want to use the drain screw hole right? i went ahead and ordered a float needle just in case. my next step is to find some tubing, im hoping some of my r/c airplane stuff will work, iv got all kinds of fuel line tubing & what not. its weird to, this thing didnt drip right at 1st when i flipped the float and installed the needle right, it gradually got worse and worse. im confused to where the gas is coming from, because the pet-cock is working but it keeps filling my little cup i have under it. im wondering if the float needle isnt shot from the float being upside down and the float needle crammed into the seat when the float bowl was installed

2014 suzuki gsxr 1000
2014 honda crf 250L
1983 kawasaki gpz 550

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
30 Dec 2008 19:10 #255455 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic need float hight #'s having problem with 81 750
Check to see if the bowl gasket got damaged from removing the bowl multiple times. Sometimes they leak and sometimes they don't after reassembly.B) B)

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

More
30 Dec 2008 19:16 - 30 Dec 2008 19:37 #255456 by Patton
cott10r wrote:

...ordered a float needle just in case. my next step is to find some tubing...didnt drip right at 1st when i flipped the float and installed the needle right, it gradually got worse and worse. im confused to where the gas is coming from, because the pet-cock is working but it keeps filling my little cup i have under it. im wondering if the float needle isnt shot from the float being upside down and the float needle crammed into the seat when the float bowl was installed

Thinking probably need to stop constant fuel dripping from #1 carb before doing the clear tube test or any float level adjustment.

Not strongly suspecting damage to float needle tip due to upside down float. Thinking more likely the float adjustment tang might have bent out of position, but just guessing.

If not already done, would fit an in-line fuel filter to help avoid future crud/grit in the float needle/seat interface.

Exactly where is the little cup located? Is it sitting on the floor underneath the bike catching fuel dripping from the overflow tube, or sitting under the petcock or under the carb floatbowl or somewhere else?

Perhaps a fuel line connection is leaking, or leaking fuel pipe (tee-joint fitting) between inner carbs, or fuel joint between #1/2 or #3/4 carbs, or crack in fuel line? Or maybe the bowl gasket is leaking as suggested by Kawickrice.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 30 Dec 2008 19:37 by Patton.

• cott10r
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
31 Dec 2008 09:14 #255527 by cott10r
i have a little plastic dish thingy sitting directly under the #1 carb float bowl. this bike is weird, because supposidly these carbs were freshly gone thru then sync'd, i think the guy flat out lied imo, how could anybody sync a bike with a dead cylinder? i think it might of been a mid-90's restore that ended up sitting along time

2014 suzuki gsxr 1000
2014 honda crf 250L
1983 kawasaki gpz 550