Runs out of gas

More
14 Aug 2008 04:27 #231939 by Oznative
Runs out of gas was created by Oznative
I ‘d appreciate some advice. I rebuilt totally a 1977 KZ1000 A-1 from the frame up. I installed a single outlet petcock in lieu of the duel outlet. I just added a brass T and split the line to the separate carb feeds. I also added an in-line fuel filter. The problem is I’ll be riding and all of the sudden I’ll start sputtering and run out of gas. I open up the seat and look and the fuel line is empty. I’ve checked the vent on the gas cap and seems to be ok. It makes no difference if I open the gas cap. I have to shake and wiggle the fuel line and filter to get the fuel to flow again. In a couple of minutes it will start and I’m on my way.
One thing I noticed is the fuel line really never fills up all the way to the tank. There is always an air bubble in the line above the filter. Any thoughts or suggestions? Should I order a duel outlet petcock?
Thanks

1977 KZ1000 A-1 Just north of Boston

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Aug 2008 06:01 #231946 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Runs out of gas
The fuel line may never look like it is totally filled... that is normal. It does sound like you have a kink in the fuel line somewhere. Since you have checked tank venting, the only other thing I can think of is that he vent hoses are kinked or blocked off in some fashion. I really do suspect that the fuel hose has a kink... Use a longer piece of hose to feed your gas filter as the kink is likely between the petcock and filter.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
14 Aug 2008 08:33 #231969 by Oznative
Replied by Oznative on topic Runs out of gas
WG, Thanks for the ideas. I don’t think the hose is kinked but I will check. I tend to think maybe the vent hoses may be the culprits. I’ll check that when I get home from work.
I know the carbs are good. Heck you built them for me!!!

More
14 Aug 2008 10:32 - 14 Aug 2008 10:35 #231997 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Runs out of gas
Be sure inline filter isn't backward. :unsure:

And assure no crud floating inside tank and obstructing the petcock intake tube screen. Tank might require flushing.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 14 Aug 2008 10:35 by Patton.

More
14 Aug 2008 12:11 #232014 by Oznative
Thanks Patton, The tank was Kreemed before I was able to use it. I spent a long time just prepping it. I hope the Kreem diden't bubble up and block the intake tube. Thats another place to check.

More
14 Aug 2008 12:50 #232021 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Runs out of gas
I believe you would want to remove the petcock prior to using Kreem... if you used it with the petcock installed, pull the petcock and buy another or try and clean the old.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
14 Aug 2008 13:18 #232028 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic Runs out of gas
:ohmy:
did you Kreem the tank with the petcock installed? If you did
In the immortal words of Mythbusters

"Well there's your problem!"! ;)

You sealed the screens on top of the petcock. Id take apart the whole petcock to make sure it didn't get down in there too! But you will need new screens for the top and maybe the bowl screen too.

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
15 Aug 2008 03:49 #232111 by Oznative
I guess I need to be a little more careful how I explain things. I've been known to pull a bone headed thing or two but Kreeming a tank with the petcock installed ain't one.:ohmy: I've read a post where the Kreem failed to adhere to the tank and created a bubble in the lining and apparently was causing fuel flow issues. I looked at the vent hoses last night and cannot see anything wrong there. I'm draining the tank and removing the petcock this weekend to take a peak. I have a fiber optic bore sight that I can peek inside the tank with. I'll keep you posted. I'll figure it out one way or another.

More
15 Aug 2008 04:12 #232112 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Runs out of gas

I installed a single outlet petcock in lieu of the duel outlet. I just added a brass T and split the line to the separate carb feeds.

WiredGeorge (or Others): I was wondering about this myself (see quote).
Maybe not ideal setup but is there really anything wrong in configuring this way regarding fuel flow to the carb's?

Reason I ask, I was thinking of doing the same thus eliminating extra fuel lines, more lines of kinks/possible leaks/extra filters etc... For esthetic's as well...

Thanks,

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
15 Aug 2008 04:46 #232121 by Oznative
Old Man Rock,
I do recall where WG had said he has done this before with no issues. The way I have it done is a filter in-line then a short piece of tube maybe 4” and the a ¼” brass “T” and then separate lines to the carbs. I wont go as far a saying it is cleaner looking this way because you do have more hardware involved. I may just put on a duel outlet if I can’t find solve problem I’m having.

More
15 Aug 2008 04:50 #232122 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Runs out of gas
Please keep us informed if the single outlet turns out to be the cause of the problem...

Thanks,

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
15 Aug 2008 05:47 #232135 by Oznative
I will!!