Runs out of gas

More
15 Aug 2008 06:18 #232141 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Runs out of gas
On my shaft drive, I use earlier VM26 carbs right now. I use a single out manual petcock and run a short piece of hose from the petcock to the inline fuel filter and then another short piece of hose to the tee to the two fuel inlets. As far as how it looks, you can't really see this plumbing so I can't say I much care. A double out petcock with two separate outlets would likely have less chance of kinking. My line CAN get kinked in the short section that goes from petcock to filter and I will replace this hose when I get a chance... When I get some time, I have a set of BS32s I am going to rebuild and try with a stock 79 ST airbox. I am currently using an early Z1 airbox. I will have to fab some runners to connect the carbs to airbox. I like smaller diameter venturi carbs on the shafty due to where I ride the bike... 4 to 6K rpm and not at redline. The smaller venturi gives better mid-range punch.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Aug 2008 06:35 #232146 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic Runs out of gas
I believe the Pingles are more flow from the get go so maybe that would resolve the problem. But they are really pricey petcocks. I have a Pingle on the 900 I sure do love how smooth and easy it operates and is very easy on the eye too.

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
27 Aug 2008 04:02 #234187 by Oznative
Replied by Oznative on topic Runs out of gas
I promised you all I’d let you know how I made out. As I explained I had tried to use a single outlet petcock in lieu of a double. I’m not so sure this wouldn’t work under the right conditions. I know that a number of people have done it without issues. The problem I was having was actually running out of gas. What was happening was a big air bubble was formed in the line and gas would stop flowing. I checked all the normal routine stuff like the tank vent and filter. No kinks in the fuel line either.

I took the shotgun approach because I got tired a fussing with it.
What I did-
I bought one of them fancy Pingel duel outlet petcocks from Z1. Those things are really too nice, Like a piece of jewelry. I installed it on the tank and put 2 small pieces of that thick black reinforced ¼” fuel line and then both filters. The reason for the heavy line is so it won’t sag under the weight of the filters and kink off. I then ran ¼” clear fuel line to each fuel inlet. I must say so far I have not had an issue. I hope this helps anyone else with a fuel flow issue.

1977 KZ1000 A-1 Just north of Boston