whats wrong?

More
24 Jul 2008 22:08 #228181 by fdmc_99
whats wrong? was created by fdmc_99
can someone try to help me out? last year i took my 77 KZ1000 LTD into the shop to get them to put in carb kits and sync them, well after almost a month they called me and charged me like 850 bucks. i was only able to ride my bike last year for MAYBE 50 miles after that work was done. before winter i added stabalyzer (proper ammounts) to the gas and ran it for a little while. so this year ( 2 weeks ago) i FINALLY took my bike out, i filled the tank with gas, have been driving it for the last 2 weeks, everything has been ok (except a week ago one of the lines comming out of one of the carb was gushing out gas, i TAPPED that carb bowl and it stopped) now tonight i took it for a ride and it started lightly backfiring, spittering and sputtering when i took off, i tried to let it sit and idle and it just stalls.....can it be the damn carbs? wheni took my bike last year to the dealer here to get it fixed thay had a hell of a hard time getting it running properlly. but wheni picked it up last year it was good, like i said i even drove it around for about 50 miles before parking it before winter. New wires, plugs, plug ends, points, condensor...what do i first of all check, when it comes to fixing bikes im not that good. perhaps i should take my bike to a shop 2 hours away from where i live, i heard there good. i dunno, im pissed. i hate messing around with stuff i dont know much about, and to pay to get it fixed????WOW....850 to put in 4 sets of carb kits and sync them..thats INSANE. thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• PFC FNG
  • User
  • I've got the sickness!!!
More
24 Jul 2008 22:17 #228183 by PFC FNG
Replied by PFC FNG on topic whats wrong?
Clean the carbs, check for air leaks, check for vacuum leaks. Report back as needed. If you don't have a manual, I would get one. That can help you with anything you need to do.

I know it would not be any fun if it was easy, but does it have to be this much fun?
84 ZX750 GPZ (Waiting for paint)
Eastpoint, Mi

• Royal1MC
  • User
  • Is it just me, or is it just great to be on a KZ
More
24 Jul 2008 22:25 #228187 by Royal1MC
Replied by Royal1MC on topic whats wrong?
Have you checked the spark plugs?

*1980 Z1-R (current))
*1978 KZ1000 LTD w/ Z1-R frnt end (sold)
*1977 KZ650 B1 (sold)

Los Angeles, CA

More
25 Jul 2008 00:20 #228193 by fdmc_99
Replied by fdmc_99 on topic whats wrong?
i was actually thinking spark plugs, but i just put new ones in this year, like not even 50 miles ago, is hits a normal thing to happen just outa the blue? likei said i have bno knowledge when it comes to bikes at all.thanks again.

More
25 Jul 2008 05:38 #228218 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic whats wrong?
Take it back to the shop where the work was done and see if they stand behind their work.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
25 Jul 2008 06:45 #228235 by tjhiggin
Replied by tjhiggin on topic whats wrong?
If the bike still has the original plug wires, consider replacing them. Some years ago I had similar problems on a Suzuki automobile. After trying everything else, I thought, maybe one of the plug wires is bad. Sure enough, after a new set of wires, the car ran fine.

T.J. in Huntsville, Alabama
1983 KZ1100-A3, 1974 Honda CB550-4
Previous bikes: CB100, TS125, CB175, KZ400, CB500-4

More
25 Jul 2008 09:48 #228258 by mtkawboy
Replied by mtkawboy on topic whats wrong?
I live in Montana where we get to ride 6 months a year and I have a lot of bikes. I have never had any luck with Stabil or any other soution you add to gas for storage. Im sure some of you swear by it but its never worked for me. I drain the carbs & tank, its very low humidity here. You can also leave the tank full & dump it in the spring or pour it in your car after draining. By doing that you will sometimes find that your petcocks leaks and plugs up the pilot jets anyway. I tried Stabil one time and had to rebuild the carbs & change the pilot jets. Thats just my opinion, Im sures others will disagree

78-KZ1000/1105, 80 KZ1000, 82 Kawasaki GPZ750, 95 Harley Fatboy, 80 Suzuki GS1100ET, 81 GS1100E parts bike, 83 GS1100SD Katana/1394,78 Yamaha XT500, 81 Yamaha XS650, 78 Yamaha XS650E, 48 Whizzer model J motorbike, 71 Honda CT70H, 71 Honda CT70, 81 IT 250 Yamaha,82 Honda XL100S owned

More
25 Jul 2008 10:16 #228266 by Born Dead
Replied by Born Dead on topic whats wrong?
Check your plug's. One could be fouled even tho they are new last year. Also you may need to clean your carbs, I had a similar problem with my Kz900 a few years back. I rebuilt the carbs and had the tank blasted and sealed and no problem since. It didn't cost $850.00 tho... There may be dirt in your carb. Remember if you want it done right do it yourself:P

More
25 Jul 2008 11:41 #228292 by anarki650
Replied by anarki650 on topic whats wrong?
+1 on taking it back to the shop that did the work for you. With that few miles after paying that much money that would be my first stop.

Also, do you have a fuel filter? If so, is it plugged up?

09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

More
25 Jul 2008 12:04 #228298 by fdmc_99
Replied by fdmc_99 on topic whats wrong?
well i changed the plugs once again today. like i said they were new ones on there, i put them on 2 weeks ago. the bikes runs great once again. so is there a reason for needing new plugs so soon? the bike idles, starts, runs great again. like i said there are new spark plugs, spark plug caps, wires, points, condesors, rebuilt carbs new fuel filter. the plugs looked fine i guess, lol..dont really know what to look for, they were all a bit black. any more input is welcome, and greatlly appreaciated. thanks again

More
25 Jul 2008 12:14 #228301 by Born Dead
Replied by Born Dead on topic whats wrong?
Well it sounds like you had a bad plug. What type are you using? NGK? I had a few bad NGK's in the past, but I would still clean your carb's tho'. Also check to make sure that your tank isn't rusted or dirty inside. It only takes a tiny piece of dirt to cause you problems. I would take it back to the shop and have them check it out tho'. $850.00 is a little steep for a carb rebuilt and synch.

More
25 Jul 2008 12:54 #228314 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic whats wrong?
A good idea is to but the Dyna S innition system and get rid of the points. The technology has been proven for many years and will make your bike much more reliable.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)