Leaking fuel out of Pods

More
08 Jun 2008 16:24 #218780 by HerrDeacon
Leaking fuel out of Pods was created by HerrDeacon
Went for a run today and when I got back the carbs started leaking fuel from the pod filter. It was leaking out of the left most pod. I believe this was just because it was the lowest one (bike was on side stand). This is only the forth time riding the bike and this never happened after other runs. Not sure if it's related but this is the first run I did where the tank was completely full. The other three runs the tank was less than half full. Also, the third run I had to switch to Reserve. Would gunk sucked in during reserve impact the petcock?

I have to leave town tomorrow and so I didn't have time to take anything apart to diagnose yet. Since the bike is stored in a garage attached to the house I needed to drain the fuel from the tank and carbs just to be sure it wouldn't continue to leak while I was gone.

After draining everything I noticed that the vacuum line attached to the petcock wasn't really on very tight. Could this cause the overflow problem? If the vacuum line is not sealed totally will this cause issues? As it was the petcock was in the On position and everything was still leaking. So I'm guessing that either the petcock is toast or the vacuum line is the culprit. Does this sound correct? Or is there somewhere else I should be looking?

Any help would be appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jun 2008 17:23 #218794 by tool maker
Replied by tool maker on topic Leaking fuel out of Pods
The Petcock shouldn't flow gas with no vacuum applied to it unless it's in the prime position. first fix the petcock and then move on to the float valves and needles in the carbs.

Doug.

Lancaster, PA

82 KZ1000 M2, stage 3 jet kit, pods, 4 into 1 Mac, Accel coils & wires.

More
08 Jun 2008 17:26 #218795 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Leaking fuel out of Pods
Am thinking this doesn't relate to amount of fuel in the tank or gunk in the petcock or a loose vacuum line.

Would check overflow circuit in #1 carb. If a leaking float needle keeps allowing fuel into the float bowl, and excess fuel isn't able to escape via overflow as designed, the escess fuel may rise up into the carb throat and flow backwards and out the pod filter.

Excess fuel in the carb throat also flows forward toward the engine, where it may enter the combustion chamber and drain down around the piston and rings into the crankcase. And thereby contaminate the oil.

Would sniff-test the crankcase oil. And keep an eye on the oil level, which may "rise" due to the fuel intrusion.

Would assure correct functioning of the floatbowl overflow circuit, and proper operation of the float, and assure that the float needle/seat interface isn't leaking (often due to grit or crud at interface of seat orifice and tip of float needle).

The objective is to have the floatbowl overflow circuit functioning as it's supposed to (i.e., by allowing any excess incoming fuel to drain out through the nipples on bottoms of floatbowls and on through the drain tubes to underneath the bike).

If Mikuni smoothbores are fitted, they do not have floatbowl overflows, so special care should be directed toward assuring absence of excess fuel into the floatbowls.

Am uncertain, but have heard that a damaged diaphram in a vacuum petcock may allow fuel to run down the vacuum tube and into the carb throat.

If in doubt about whether fuel has intruded into crankcase, should change both oil and filter.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
09 Jun 2008 03:15 - 09 Jun 2008 03:32 #218889 by HerrDeacon
Replied by HerrDeacon on topic Leaking fuel out of Pods
Thanks guys for the great responses. That'll give me some things to check when I get back next weekend. Just hate the fact that I have to go away and can't revisit it until next weekend. :(

I couldn't sniff test the oil yesterday as there was already too much smell of gas around that I wouldn't be able to tell. :) I think I'll change it anyway just to be sure, don't want to risk that. Hate problems that involve gas as the smell gets everywhere.

Thanks again, much appreciated.
Last edit: 09 Jun 2008 03:32 by HerrDeacon.

More
09 Jun 2008 06:21 #218904 by ronjones
Replied by ronjones on topic Leaking fuel out of Pods
The only time I've had fuel leaking out the pods, was when I had the fuel hooked up to my overflow tube:blush: Funny thing is that it actually ran,:blink: until it flooded, then the gas poured out the pods.

'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades

More
09 Jun 2008 06:37 #218909 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Leaking fuel out of Pods
The issue most likely is due to a bad vacuum hose which causes your petcock to not work as it should. If it doesn't shut off, the float valves are the only thing that keep the carburetors from leaking and when you park on the sidestand, your #4 carburetor is prone to leaking. To test the petcock, just remove the fuel hose when the bike is off and parked. If gas comes out, either the petcock diaphragm is bad OR the hose connected to engine vacuum and the petcock is compromised.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
09 Jun 2008 07:00 #218914 by HerrDeacon
wiredgeorge wrote:

The issue most likely is due to a bad vacuum hose which causes your petcock to not work as it should. If it doesn't shut off, the float valves are the only thing that keep the carburetors from leaking and when you park on the sidestand, your #4 carburetor is prone to leaking. To test the petcock, just remove the fuel hose when the bike is off and parked. If gas comes out, either the petcock diaphragm is bad OR the hose connected to engine vacuum and the petcock is compromised.

George, are you saying that the vacuum hose is still important when the engine is not running? I'll test the petcock as you stated when I get back on Saturday.

Thanks

• PFC FNG
  • User
  • I've got the sickness!!!
More
09 Jun 2008 11:58 #218961 by PFC FNG
Replied by PFC FNG on topic Leaking fuel out of Pods
Trust me, sometimes a vacumn petcock will malfunction in such manner as it will not shut off. I have experienced this firsthand.

I know it would not be any fun if it was easy, but does it have to be this much fun?
84 ZX750 GPZ (Waiting for paint)
Eastpoint, Mi

More
10 Jun 2008 06:29 #219098 by wiredgeorge
The vacuum hose must not leak air. If it leaks, the diaphragm will not shut off gas. It is critical to have the hose seal with no cracks. It doesn't take much to test... with the bike shut off and the petcock in either the ON or RES position, pull off the gas hose from the petcock. If gas comes out either the hose is leaking air OR the diaphragm is bad; simple as that.

Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
10 Jun 2008 07:08 #219105 by HerrDeacon
wiredgeorge wrote:

The vacuum hose must not leak air. If it leaks, the diaphragm will not shut off gas. It is critical to have the hose seal with no cracks. It doesn't take much to test... with the bike shut off and the petcock in either the ON or RES position, pull off the gas hose from the petcock. If gas comes out either the hose is leaking air OR the diaphragm is bad; simple as that.

Just to pick your brain a little more. So if I run this test and fuel does come out, then I have an issue with either the petcock or the vacuum hose. To help me diagnose whether the issue is with the petcock or with the vacuum hose would taking the vacuum hose off and putting my finger over the vacuum hole on the petcock prove anything? Meaning, if the issue is in fact the vacuum hose would removing it and plugging the hole on the petcock stop the fuel flow?

Hope my question is clear enough.

More
10 Jun 2008 09:06 #219126 by wiredgeorge
If you put your finger of the vacuum fitting on the petcock and it shut off gas in the event that the petcock was pouring gas, that would indicate the hose or hose connection was the issue.

Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
10 Jun 2008 10:08 #219141 by HerrDeacon
Perfect, thanks for answering that. I can't wait to get home to try this. :) I'll probably be back with more questions this weekend after I test.