Leaking fuel out of Pods

More
10 Jun 2008 10:15 #219143 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Leaking fuel out of Pods
Actually I'm not sure the way it works has been made clear. Fuel does not flow out of your gas outlet on the petcock in the "on", or "reserve" position unless vacuum is applied to the vacuum fitting on the petcock. You can check this real easily by simply taking your gas line loose when the engine is off. Does gas flow? If so diaphram is stuck open. If not you can remove the vacuum hose from the petcock. Is gas leaking out of it? If so diaphram is bad. If not get a short length of hose, attach it to the vacuum port on the petcock, stick the other end in your mouth and suck in simulating vacuum. Gas should flow freely from the gas outlet on the petcock for the entire length of time you're sucking the hose and immediately shut off when vacuum is removed. This is really the only tests needed to ensure the petcock is working. You have a bad fuel line it will leak, a bad vacuum line will cause a vacuum leak, poor running and/or not apply vacuum to turn on the petcock. In other words no way a bad vacuum line can cause the petcock to stick in the "on" position is the main thing I'm mentioning.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jun 2008 18:20 #219232 by HerrDeacon
Replied by HerrDeacon on topic Leaking fuel out of Pods
Thanks Ron, that makes sense to me. I'll try it on Saturday.

Thanks for your detailed response.

More
15 Jun 2008 05:49 #220126 by HerrDeacon
Replied by HerrDeacon on topic Leaking fuel out of Pods
Bit of an update.

I tested the petcock and it seems fine. When in the On position no fuel flows at all. So to further diagnose I took the carbs off and removed the float bowls. There was reddish brown silt in the bowls. I cleaned the carbs over the winter so I was wondering where this was coming from. It then donned on me. When I painted the tank I forgot to cover the gas cap hole when I primed the tank (red oxide primer) and so some of the primer got into the tank and onto the raised tunnel that is right under the cap. Since the last time I rode the bike was the first time I filled up the tank no gas really touched this area, but now it did and it worked it's magic and removed all this primer. It then flowed down into the carbs. I have a inline filter but this silt was fine enough to flow through. So now I have to clean the carbs again.

Just wondering if this silt could be what caused my overflow problem?

I'm going to clean everything again, change the oil and reinstall everything. Hopefully this will fix the problem.