One cylinder running rich

More
25 Mar 2008 22:24 #202200 by fordtruck
One cylinder running rich was created by fordtruck
I'm having trouble with the number 4 cylinder on my 77 KZ1000. The sparkplug in #4 is black. It's not oil, it's definitely rich. The other three cylinders are a nice clean, tan color. I have adjusted valves to spec. The compression is equal on all cylinders. The bike has a Dyna S ignition and coils and I just put new Dyna plug wires on. The ignition timing has been checked.

This bike starts great and has excellent throttle response until it warms up, then it has a slight stumble coming off of idle. Any rpm above idle, it runs great.

I pulled the float bowl off of the number 4 carb and it has a 107.5 main jet, which my clymer manual lists as stock. Any ideas on what I should check? I'm thinking about putting a rebuild kit in as soon as Z1enterprises gets them back in stock.

Almost forgot to mention, the bike has a K&N air filter (which is clean and oiled) and a Vance and Hines 4-into-1 pipe with baffle.

Thanks

'77 KZ1000-MTC 1075 kit. Stage 1 port

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Mar 2008 22:36 - 25 Mar 2008 22:37 #202203 by Qdude
Replied by Qdude on topic One cylinder running rich
Sounds carb related. Sorry you gotta wait for the rebuild kit to come in. Good luck.

Has one of the adjustment screws been tampered with? I would check that the mixture screws are adjusted the same as the others.

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you
Last edit: 25 Mar 2008 22:37 by Qdude.

More
25 Mar 2008 23:58 #202213 by almarconi
Replied by almarconi on topic One cylinder running rich
A couple of thoughts..is the #4 cylinder firing? Does water sizzle when dripped on the exhaust header pipe for that cylinder? Did you check the plug wire/plug cap to make sure they have the proper resistance? Try swapping the 1/4 plug lead and see if the problem moves from the #4 to number #1 cylinder. Did you check the level in the fuel bowl using a piece of clear tubing ? Are they all within spec? A float that is not adjusted properly or sticking can cause too much gas in that carb. Let us know what you find out.

Al

1981 KZ550C LTD (SOLD)
1980 GS750L
1982 KZ750N1 Spectre (New Project)

More
26 Mar 2008 09:56 #202273 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic One cylinder running rich
Ditto on checking the bowl fuel level with the clear tube. This could definitely be caused by having the fuel level too high.

I would also drop the bowl and clean the heck out of everything in the bowl and the float and seat.

I made a stubby screwdriver to get to the bowl screws so I can drop the bowls without removing the carbs. Smartest thing I ever did. If this is an "outboard" carb you should be able to get to it.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
26 Mar 2008 22:09 #202415 by fordtruck
Replied by fordtruck on topic One cylinder running rich
Thanks for the advice. I set all mixture screws at 1 1/4 turns out, then fine tuned to get the highest rpm. They are all within 1/4 turn of spec. I will double check them though. I pulled the float bowls off of #1 and #4 and the float height measures the same. I know this isn't the correct way, but I hate to spend $70 for the adapter that screws in to the drain hole. Is there a cheaper way to attach the clear tube for measuring float height?

Number 4 cylinder is definitely firing. It runs great above idle. Also, the plug is not wet with fuel, just black. It did this before I put new plug wires on, so I'm sure it's not electrical.

Thanks again for the advice. If you have any more ideas, please let me know.

More
26 Mar 2008 23:30 - 27 Mar 2008 01:53 #202423 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic One cylinder running rich
fordtruck wrote:

...Is there a cheaper way to attach the clear tube for measuring float height?...

Just "thread" clear plastic hose into the drain hole opening. Usually doesn't leak, but a slight seepage won't affect the measurement.

Could use the "Search Forum" box (see in above horizontal ribbon) to find many links with detailed instructions about the clear plastic tube test.

Just type "clear plastic tube" inside the box and click the "Go" button. (Choosing some other search phrase might also be okay or even better).

As known, the "testing" is fun quick and easy, carbs on the bike with no disassembly required. While the "adjusting" involves much more careful effort.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 27 Mar 2008 01:53 by Patton.

More
27 Mar 2008 00:10 #202426 by Qdude
I used aquarium clear vinyl hose. It was a little too fat to thread into the hole, so I melted it with a candle while stretching it to both narrow and harden the vinyl, then cut it with snips.

Worked great, but hated that whole process. :lol:

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter

More
27 Mar 2008 00:14 #202428 by Patton
Qdude wrote:

I used aquarium clear vinyl hose. It was a little too fat to thread into the hole, so I melted it with a candle while stretching it to both narrow and harden the vinyl, then cut it with snips.

Worked great, but hated that whole process. :lol:

Smells like . . . victory!

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
27 Mar 2008 09:14 #202481 by fordtruck
Replied by fordtruck on topic One cylinder running rich
Thanks for the info guys. I'll try and check the float level this weekend.

More
27 Mar 2008 10:58 - 28 Mar 2008 09:25 #202491 by Patton
Another possibility could be a too tight valve clearance on #4 which might be sealing okay during engine compression test but failing to seal when engine reaches normal operating temperature. If not already done, would check the clearances. :)

Edit -- Oops, now see this was indeed already done.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 28 Mar 2008 09:25 by Patton.

More
27 Mar 2008 12:58 #202514 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic One cylinder running rich
There is always the chance that the main jet needle is a different height than the others.

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

More
27 Mar 2008 13:09 #202518 by Qdude
Too true, good one !

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.