Pod filter cleaning?

• Qdude
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • It is all good.
More
25 Mar 2008 12:53 #202134 by Qdude
Pod filter cleaning? was created by Qdude
I have had the bike a year and have never cleaned the filters.

Is this possible? Or must they be replaced instead.

If it is possible to clean them, would someone be so kind as to explain the process and list associated products necessary for said action.

Blah blah blah.

Seriously though, it has been posted that dirty air filters can contribute to various mixture/tuning problems.

Cheers,

Q

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Mar 2008 13:17 #202137 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Pod filter cleaning?
If you have K&N pods you can simply get a shallow bucket of 409 or any other similar cleaner, swish and roll the filters through the cleaner and you'll see the cleaner turns black from removing dirt pretty quickly, then rinse the filters with low pressure water, then let them dry a day or so then spray with K&N filter oil.
If you have Emgos or other foam filter normally you wash them in gas, let dry then add oil sparingly. They always say "don't use gas" so you can substitute some other solvent. This is simply for safety. I was surprised John Deere actually said to clean their filters with gas. If it's good enough for John, good enough for me and works just fine.
After you oil it may take a day or two for the oil to distribute and allow normal breathing. This is one of the many things I hate about pods. Any motorcycle I have K&N filter on, I have a spare clean set ready to install, as it's a couple days downtime otherwise.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• Qdude
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • It is all good.
More
25 Mar 2008 13:32 #202139 by Qdude
Replied by Qdude on topic Pod filter cleaning?
How often do you clean them?
Is there a noticable difference in engine performance after cleaning?:cheer:
Must I really wait the day or two?:angry:
May the filters be dried with a hair dryer, sunshine, heater duct or whatnot?

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter

More
25 Mar 2008 13:55 #202140 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic Pod filter cleaning?
i use the same method of cleaning filters whether they are k&n gauze style or foam.coffee can of gas hold em down with the openings facing up,swish them around then take the water hose and spray down the side,not through the side,(with opening facing water hose)to blow the crud off.then with foam filters i take paper towels and squish them with the paper towel around the filter to get the water out.and finish by carefuly blowing air through them until they are dry.(if i can't let them set and dry.)with k&n you can dry them with air but be vary careful as it is cotton gauze and you can blow it apart.then oil back to whatever is appropriate.hope this helps.

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

More
25 Mar 2008 14:43 #202151 by ronjones
Replied by ronjones on topic Pod filter cleaning?
Haven't used the gas or 409, I just bought the k&n cleaning kit (I got my kit @Advance Auto), which should last a few years. Spray them down w/the cleaner, let them set about 15min, spray them down w/clean water and let them set overnite to dry. The next day spray em down w/the k&n oil, let set another 15 min, put em on and ride. Normal riding on hard surface roads maybe @ the beginning of riding season then mid-season. They do get pretty dirty, pretty quick.
I don't know if the k&n stuff would work w/the foam pods.

'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades

More
25 Mar 2008 15:09 #202155 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Pod filter cleaning?
I got some stuff called "no toil" oil and wash cleaner for foam filter elements. The upside is the oil is special biodegradable stuff that dissolves in their cleaning solution.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
27 Mar 2008 11:24 #202495 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Pod filter cleaning?
Before giving cleaning advice, it might be prudent to determine what type filters are being discussed. I suspect a set of Emgos will soon meet a grizzly death!

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
27 Mar 2008 11:42 #202500 by ronjones
Good point, but since it clearly states in my sig line that I have K&N Pods and use the K&N cleaning kit, it would be safe to presume that I am only refering to K&N pods.

'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades

• Qdude
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • It is all good.
More
27 Mar 2008 13:07 #202516 by Qdude
Looking at these pods here (that came with the bike,..) I see no identifying marks on them.

Stainless steel looking end cap, rubber end devoid of any lettering, two layers of screen with some whiteish-grey fiberous stuff in between, rubber top with one indented line curcumspecting the plateau, held together by smokey colored glue of some type....

Wish I had a camera.

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.

More
27 Mar 2008 13:45 #202527 by ronjones
Well, to me, and I may be wrong, it sounds like you have a "k&n" style knockoff. The K&N have initials in the metal endcap. My understanding of the knockoffs, is that they don't last as long but cleaning should be the same as a K&N. Spray/soak w/cleaner, let set, rinse repeat until clear rinse water. When dry, spray w/filter oil, let set and ride. Pretty much what you would do if you had an airbox filter. If you get the kit, there are insturctions.

More
27 Mar 2008 16:07 #202556 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Pod filter cleaning?
Mr. Jones, Sorry I wasn't clear. The gentleman seems to have inherited a nasty set of Emgos. Since the elements are paper, I suspect the water would have the same effect on the Emgos as it does when you drop a roll of toilet paper in the toilet. The best you can do is blow them out some but I suspect it is time to consider purchasing another set of pods. Emgos are about $40 for 4 and K&Ns are about $160 for four. Emgos are disposable, and as has been pointed out, you can clean and re-oil the K&Ns. For life. Which is best depends miles you ride a year, conditions, etc. If you put the bike away anually with a short riding season, and live somewhere clean, perhaps Emgos might last 5 years... probably a better buy the K&Ns... you can think through the permutations of these factors and make a good decsion.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Qdude
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • It is all good.
More
27 Mar 2008 18:26 #202573 by Qdude
Nasty Emgos they must be then.

Well they have been taken out of the proverbial toilet and dried and oiled and are back on the bike that I ride year' round. Guess among other things, I will be in the market for another set of filters.

I oddly enough, do enjoy spending endless amounts of money on this hole,... ooops, did I say that? on this bike. It makes me feel better when those Kerkers are ringing out at 4 in the morning after a busy shift coming home tired knowing that I have PAID MY FRIGGIN DUES.

On to other things Gents.:cheer:

Cheers,

Q

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.