Leaky carbs

More
24 Mar 2008 19:30 #202008 by rsolano
Leaky carbs was created by rsolano
Hi Rudy here new to KZ rider and aquired a 76 KZ900LTD in great shape. When I got it going it runs great but noticed the carbs were leaking alot of gas from the bottom I think its the drain but can't tell and can't ride it because too much gas is leaking out. Has anybody had this same problem and or know what it might be?

1978KZ1000, stock w exception of aftermarket 4 into 1 and air pods

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Mar 2008 19:37 #202010 by anarki650
Replied by anarki650 on topic Leaky carbs
More than likely the gas is leaking from the overflows because the float height isn't correct. Although, I did one time forget to tighten the drain screws on my kz after changing jets and as a result ended up with an awful lot of gas leaking.

09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

More
24 Mar 2008 21:08 #202028 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Leaky carbs
Could be crud at interface between float-needle and seat.

Rapping smartly on float-bowl with plastic mallet while engine is running sometimes corrects the condition.

Good Luck and Welcome to KZrider! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
25 Mar 2008 08:04 #202070 by davenkids2001
Replied by davenkids2001 on topic Leaky carbs
Last year I ran into a similar issue with my carbs "leaking". Turns out that the overflow from carb #3 was pissing all over. Rather than taking the downtime I tried adding SEAFOAM (a carburator cleaner and lubricant which was recommended to me by members of this board) to my gas tank. I added per the instructions then took my bike down a bad road to bounce it around a bit. LO and BEHOLD! The trick worked and within a few miles my carb stopped pissing and everything was fine for the remainder of the season.
Since then I add a couple ounces every couple of weeks to keep the internals clean and I have had NO problems since.
Try it, it could save you time and money. Although this is no substitute for adjusting your floats if they really need it, it could save time if all you need is a good cleaning.
Just my 1%
-Dave

Dave and Janet
Great Lake State
1979 650SR

More
25 Mar 2008 09:47 - 25 Mar 2008 09:49 #202095 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Leaky carbs
rsolano wrote:

Hi Rudy here new to KZ rider and aquired a 76 KZ900LTD in great shape. When I got it going it runs great but noticed the carbs were leaking alot of gas from the bottom I think its the drain but can't tell and can't ride it because too much gas is leaking out. Has anybody had this same problem and or know what it might be?

I doubt there are many people who have NOT ahd this problem on an older bike. Gravity never sleeps and it just keeps pushing. Newer bikes have vacuum cutoffs at the petcock which automatically shut the flow off (if the petcock is good). Eventually, petcocks get leaky too.

Here is the things to do:

1) The interface between the brass seat and the valve in the carb is the first thing to fix. I take the valve out (it's the little metal piece with the cone shaped tip the float tab pushes against) and put it in a drill and polish the cone. It has to be dead smooth to get a good seal with the seat.

2) I also polish the seat where the cone sets into. I use a Q-Tip or similar and polish it with chome polish. You can also chuck it into a hand drill and polish it. The idea is to get the inside very smooth.

3) Adjust float levels to make sure they are right.

4) Always turn the gas off at the petcock when not running.

If it still leaks, one or more of the parts listed above may have to be replaced.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 25 Mar 2008 09:49 by bountyhunter.

More
25 Mar 2008 12:08 - 25 Mar 2008 12:14 #202127 by Qdude
Replied by Qdude on topic Leaky carbs
bountyhunter wrote:

I take the valve out (it's the little metal piece with the cone shaped tip the float tab pushes against) and put it in a drill and polish the cone. It has to be dead smooth to get a good seal with the seat.

If I remember correctly, the one in my carbs have triangular shafts, which means that they would fit it a drill chuck just fine..... Hmmmm.... wow. Yea rsolano, give this a shot. (Thanks a lot Mr. Teachmesomethingnew.)

I agree that there are probably no people here who have not had this problem.

Try the sea-foam, I wish I had known about it when I got my bike initially and was fixing a leaky float bowl. (I am going to go look for it now for preemtpive maintenance purposes :woohoo: ) As it was, I got a lesson in rebuilding carbs and setting float bowl levels, times four at only 30 bucks per rebuild kit..:huh:

Also, unless you are going for the pure stock thang, switch out the petcock on your tank. Mine leaked a painfully slow, steady drip through the gas supply line in the "off" position (then leaked out the side of the petcock after subsequent attempts at repairing.) This coupled with the recent carb rebuilds and repeated (and unnecessary) float level adjustments had me chasing Gremlins for a couple of weeks.

I suggest that you really do look into that petcock, and consider getting a vacume cut-off replacement. It is a very easy install, and there are many different options you have in getting one.

Welcome to the site. Post often.

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you
Last edit: 25 Mar 2008 12:14 by Qdude.

More
25 Mar 2008 15:11 #202156 by bountyhunter
Qdude wrote:

bountyhunter wrote:

I take the valve out (it's the little metal piece with the cone shaped tip the float tab pushes against) and put it in a drill and polish the cone. It has to be dead smooth to get a good seal with the seat.

If I remember correctly, the one in my carbs have triangular shafts, which means that they would fit it a drill chuck just fine..... Hmmmm.... wow. Yea rsolano, give this a shot. (Thanks a lot Mr. Teachmesomethingnew.)

You can wrap a little masking tape around them to protect them in the chuck.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
25 Mar 2008 15:14 #202157 by bountyhunter
Qdude wrote:

Try the sea-foam, I wish I had known about it when I got my bike initially and was fixing a leaky float bowl. [/quote]

As far as gas seeping while the petcock is in the ON position: I don't think it can be "fixed" completely, because it relies on a metal-to-metal seal between the needle cone and the brass seat.

Notice how brass parts (seats and jets) get dull looking gradually? They are oxidizing and the surface is getting slightly rougher. They will leak gas there. You actually have to polish them regularly to get them to seal reasonably well with the petcock left on.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
27 Mar 2008 11:21 #202494 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Leaky carbs
Most common leak points are fuel tees, cracked overflow tubes, the bike left with the fuel tap on when parked, excessive crud in the tank which gets down to the needle/seat and causes overflowing.

Once you have those things check out, set the float heights using the service fuel level method ONLY. While you are at it, examine the float needle and seat assembly. The seat should be clean and the needle should be smooth with no pitting or deformation.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
21 Oct 2008 11:36 #243046 by 28years
Replied by 28years on topic Leaky carbs
I have two vintage bikes KZ 650 1978 and KZ 750 1979. The KZ 650 had bent metal flanges on the float. Once I corrected them, and checked their free play, there was no more leakage from any of those carborator floats afterwards. Each one of these floats have rubber pods that rise and fall. My KZ 750 has copper pods. One of them leaks--possible because it may have some fuel in them. (i.e. a hair line crack). To replace one of these copper pod floats cost near $42. I just shut off the fuel when I am parked. Hopefully, I can remember. By the way, there is a tab that can be bent to the up position to limit how much fuel goes into the bowl itself. Keep in mind, by raising this tab, you are choosing to run the bike lean. Anyone know how I can replace this copper float of mine on the cheap?

KZ 650 B2 1978/KZ 1979 B4

• KOOL RYDER
  • User
  • KZ 650B2 / KZ 1000E
More
22 Oct 2008 08:02 #243216 by KOOL RYDER
Replied by KOOL RYDER on topic Leaky carbs
Also,

Pull the carb drain plugs. It flushes the crud out.

Just have a little container to cath the gas when it comes out.

Also the plastic mallet trick has worked for me in the past.

Just wrap on the carb hard enough to jostle the carb body, but not hard enough to cause any damage.

This is a common problem.

Rockin\' a KZ650B2 since 2007 and a KZ 1000E since 2008

1978 KZ650B
1979 KZ1000ST

• thadley55
  • User
  • TWO WEEKS!!!(Money Pit the movie)
More
22 Oct 2008 17:29 #243273 by thadley55
Replied by thadley55 on topic Leaky carbs
This may be a shot in the dark, my '76 kz900 has earlier Z1 28mm carbs on it and they have 17mm drain plugs on the float bowls. I was leaking from there and discovered my o rings are flat. Don't forget to check the gaskets!B)

1975 XL125 Honda first bike
1993? VTR 250 Honda gone
1983 LTD 440 Yammy gone
1988 CBR 600 Honda gladly gone!!
1976 KZ900 daily driver