H.E.L.P. S.O.S

More
04 Jan 2008 17:24 #187681 by srobie1
Replied by srobie1 on topic H.E.L.P. S.O.S
I have not done a compression check. I know there is compression though. Crank over with finger over plug hole. I could not keep my fingure there at a full stroke. Red neck compression check.
I am going to start by backing out 1 1/2 turns on the air screw.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jan 2008 19:00 #187696 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic H.E.L.P. S.O.S
I could be wrong (and often am :lol: ), but the glowing red exhaust headers would send me first to the ignition timing.

Here are some tips on setting ignition timing:

If using points, should set the gaps and clean before adjusting timing.

Points (or aftermarket electronic ignition module) on left side trigger one coil to fire outside cylinders #1/4.

Points (or aftermarket electronic ignition module) on right side trigger the other coil to fire inside cylinders #2/3.

At low idle rpm, use a strobe-type timing light (with #4 plug wire) to align 1/4 F mark with timing mark on engine case, and repeat (with #3 plug wire) to align 2/3 F mark.

Ignore the T marks.

Consider using a common electric fan to keep the engine cooled while doing timing adjustments.

If using points, let us know if any doubts about functions of the 11 adjustment screws involved.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
04 Jan 2008 19:30 #187701 by srobie1
Replied by srobie1 on topic H.E.L.P. S.O.S
Thanks patton,
I finished with the carbs tonight, they are about as clean as I am going to get them. I installed the new 110 main jets. And the bike doesn't want to start. I am able to get it to sputter, with starting fluid, but wont stay running. I am hoping I just flooded them out. But you might be right about the timimg. Now that I am remembering, the last time I had the bike running, I was playing with the timing. I am using the stock style points. I did replace them when I got the bike. I plan on restting them in the A.M..