BAD Carbs

More
09 Nov 2007 15:25 #180358 by Fratedog
BAD Carbs was created by Fratedog
Hey Guys,
I have some very badly gummed up carbs. They have not been used for 13 years. Needless to say they are a mess.
They are off a 1976 KZ900 LTD. See the attached photo. The float valves will not move and as you can see there is a lot of gunk in them. Any ideas as to how I can clean them and get them serviceable again??

Thanks
Fratedog
:S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Nov 2007 15:26 #180359 by Fratedog
Replied by Fratedog on topic BAD Carbs
Sorry picture was too big. Not loaded. Will try to reduce it. and post

More
09 Nov 2007 15:33 #180361 by Fratedog
Not sure if this will work.
Fratedog

Post edited by: Fratedog, at: 2007/11/09 19:00
Attachments:

More
09 Nov 2007 15:53 #180364 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic BAD Carbs
Here's a link about boiling carbs in vinegar and/or lemon juice.

vinegar

Might also go up to the "search forum" box and type in vinegar lemon juice which should return several more links along these lines.

According to reports from other members, some of the commercial brands of carb cleaner have recently changed to milder ineffective formulations in which carbs may soak for extended periods with hardly any noticable effect. So would also do a search on carb cleaning in hopes of learning about the latest and greatest commercial products and techniques such as ultra sound.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
09 Nov 2007 16:00 #180367 by Fratedog
thanks will check it out
Fratedog

More
09 Nov 2007 16:03 #180368 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic BAD Carbs
Those things need to be totally disassembled and dipped in carb dip... I would also recommend the NAPA stuff or Gumout brand. Once they have been dipped, you will need to clear the internal passageways. We use an ultrasonic cleaner which is pretty good at this. Unfortunately, a normal wire won't go all the way through any of the internal passageways because of bends. It will be a waste of time to clean/clear the external parts without cleaning the internal. Good luck, you may need some ;-)

One more thing, don't bother with trying to save any of the jets... pitch them and use new jets. And NEVER pry on the slides to try and get them out. It only damages the soft slide bodies and you will end up trying to sand them to get them to slide again. Last, I am not sure how well vinegar will dissolve old gas goo... I think I will keep using vinegar on my tossed salads (sorry Patton!). If you have luck using it, let me know! Also, mention whether Red Wine, Balsamic or cheap synthetic vinegar works better hehe

Post edited by: wiredgeorge, at: 2007/11/09 19:07

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
09 Nov 2007 16:13 #180371 by Fratedog
Thanks Wired,
I have all new parts for them. I figured they would all need to be replaced. Just having a hard time getting to it :P

Fratedog

More
09 Nov 2007 16:19 #180375 by Patton

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
09 Nov 2007 16:33 #180379 by Fratedog
Yeah Patton I saw those Was thinking the same thing:sick:

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
11 Nov 2007 06:30 #180538 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic BAD Carbs
Add some baking soda to that vinegar and watch what happens:ohmy:

wiredgeorge wrote:

Those things need to be totally disassembled and dipped in carb dip... I would also recommend the NAPA stuff or Gumout brand. Once they have been dipped, you will need to clear the internal passageways. We use an ultrasonic cleaner which is pretty good at this. Unfortunately, a normal wire won't go all the way through any of the internal passageways because of bends. It will be a waste of time to clean/clear the external parts without cleaning the internal. Good luck, you may need some ;-)

One more thing, don't bother with trying to save any of the jets... pitch them and use new jets. And NEVER pry on the slides to try and get them out. It only damages the soft slide bodies and you will end up trying to sand them to get them to slide again. Last, I am not sure how well vinegar will dissolve old gas goo... I think I will keep using vinegar on my tossed salads (sorry Patton!). If you have luck using it, let me know! Also, mention whether Red Wine, Balsamic or cheap synthetic vinegar works better hehe<br><br>Post edited by: wiredgeorge, at: 2007/11/09 19:07

More
11 Nov 2007 07:15 #180541 by Patton
And speaking of soda, here's a neat little side project to help pass the time while carbs are soaking (no vinegar required)--

lol

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
11 Nov 2007 08:14 #180548 by Fratedog
Hey Guys,
I got them cleaned up -- see picture-- but the float will not move freely. Is there anyway to free that up?

Thanks
Fratedog
Attachments: