carbs leaking air?

More
17 Oct 2007 22:03 #176827 by pollocksn
carbs leaking air? was created by pollocksn
Ok well I have not had time to mess with it in awile till now. I found that the carb boots are leaking. You can feel it if you stick your hand around the boot. I also shot it with some B-12 and it reved the engine up. My question is, is there any tips to getting the boots on really well? I had a friend clean the carbs and put new boots on. I have never pulled carbs off before and I am going to attempt it tomorrow. Also which one is the main carb?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Oct 2007 23:13 #176833 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic carbs leaking air?
It might be sucking air in where the boots and the head meet. You need to use some kind of sealent between the two. I'm sure some other members will let you know what kind. As for a "main" carb there isn't one I don't think. It is pretty easy to work on them.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

More
17 Oct 2007 23:17 #176834 by kz650csr81
Replied by kz650csr81 on topic carbs leaking air?
so these boots are new??? I had the same exact problem with my boots but they are old and cracked... what I did was use high temp joining compound I picked up at the local harware store... it sealed the cracks and I put some between the block and the boots... vwalah like new.. at least until I get new ones. If they are new boots then it sound like the surface between block and boot may be dirty or the boots may be loose.... if not check your radiator clamps that go on the boots that hold the carbs they also may be loose.. my advice is don't worry about the carbs and how they work until I get the vacuum leak fixed

More
17 Oct 2007 23:49 #176839 by pollocksn
Replied by pollocksn on topic carbs leaking air?
Yeah the boots are new. I was going to try and just tighten down the screws that hold the boots on to the block but You can not get to them with the carbs on. I am thinking that when the guy put them back on he just didnt get them to sit right. Hence why I might just pull the whole thing off and clean everything and see if I can just get everything on straight.

More
18 Oct 2007 07:39 #176868 by kz650csr81
Replied by kz650csr81 on topic carbs leaking air?
sound like a good place to start

• riverroad
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
18 Oct 2007 07:45 #176869 by riverroad
Replied by riverroad on topic carbs leaking air?
I hope he didn't do what the PO of my bike did. He didn't quite get the #2 carb into the boot, and bent the lip of the boot over. So it naturally leaked.
Then he iced the cake by syncing the carbs, and adjusted the #2 carb to accomodate the leak.:pinch:

More
18 Oct 2007 08:02 #176872 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic carbs leaking air?
I installed new carb holders and had no problem. It's possible they are not tight enough but don't over tighten! Make sure you have a clean flat surface to seal to. Usually they are installed with vacuum ports down, with NEW holders the raised lip should seal ok.

Post edited by: Bluemeanie, at: 2007/10/18 11:03

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!
Attachments:

More
18 Oct 2007 10:19 #176905 by pollocksn
Yeah I am up drinking my morning go juice. I am going to give this a shot today. Hopefully that will be a simple fix. I really don't want to get into synching since I have no Idea how to do it, nor do I have any tools for that.

More
18 Oct 2007 14:28 #176944 by pollocksn
ok I have pulled the carbs off twice now, im starting to be a pro at it. It is sill leaking but not at the boot to engine seal. it is leaking at the boot to carb seal. It is a new boot and i cleaned everything last time i put it on. Any suggestions?. I am thinking about going to the hardware store and buying new clamps to see if that would help.

More
18 Oct 2007 14:44 #176948 by Bluemeanie
Yes, you do have to clamp them! I'm still using the factory clamps, you can use normal hose clamps.

More
18 Oct 2007 14:57 #176950 by pollocksn
Oh I clamped them down everytime. I just went and got some new clamps. I am going to try a whole new boot since I have two extra and the new clamps. If that doesnt work I am going to set it on fire.

More
18 Oct 2007 15:15 #176954 by Bluemeanie
Is it possible that wrong carb holders are on? I believe 750's or at least 900-1000's have bigger carb opening so would have larger holders. Would LOOK the same but leak! On my new carb holders the carbs went in pretty snug!

Post edited by: Bluemeanie, at: 2007/10/18 18:16