carbs leaking air?

More
18 Oct 2007 17:41 #176982 by kz650csr81
Replied by kz650csr81 on topic carbs leaking air?
Relax don't go setting stuff on fire its hard to put out and pretty expensive to fix afterwards... like bluemeanie said these carbs should be snug... and what snug means is so god damn hard you might pee down your leg trying to put them on...lol... they are SNUG and the clamps should also be SNUG... while the carbs are off take the tops off see the gaskets they may also need to be replaced... if it still leaks this time try small bursts of carb cleaner at each boot while running to try and isolate which one is the M effer... good luck

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Oct 2007 20:30 #177011 by pollocksn
Replied by pollocksn on topic carbs leaking air?
alright fellas after battling with the leaky carb for about 3 hours I figured it out. I don't know what the exact prob was since I replaced all the clamps and two more carb boots. I did however win the battle of the leaky boot! I just got back from a three hour ride. Now it doesn't hesitate on take off.:) Thanks to all for the tips

More
18 Oct 2007 23:03 #177024 by pollocksn
another question for you, one of the boots I mounted upside down b/c the tubing that connected the #1 and the #4 carb was not long enough. I didn't have any tubing around. Does it really matter if the nipple on a boot is upside down? I was planning on getting some more tubing and fixing this but if It does not matter I would rather not pull it all apart again.

More
19 Oct 2007 07:36 #177058 by kz650csr81
doesn't matter with new boots... the older boots had left and right boots.. now they just have a "universal" boot that can be switched...

More
19 Oct 2007 10:09 #177078 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic carbs leaking air?
pollocksn wrote:

another question for you, one of the boots I mounted upside down b/c the tubing that connected the #1 and the #4 carb was not long enough.

What tubing connects the #1 and #4 carb on a 650? Do you have some tube connecting the ports on the manifolds (boots) together? Those ports are capped individually, with a rubber vacuum cap, 7/32" I believe. Buy them at the auto store.

Post edited by: OKC_Kent, at: 2007/10/19 13:15

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles
Attachments:

More
19 Oct 2007 11:45 #177092 by pollocksn
Yeah I have a tube that connects the boots. Is that not normal? It is just the 1 and 4. The others are capped.

More
19 Oct 2007 11:54 #177093 by pollocksn
Huh yeah I just looked at a parts diagram and they are all capped. That is how I got it so I assume who ever messed with it before me just didn't have some caps and used the tubing to cap them? Would it make a difference that they are Mukunis?

More
19 Oct 2007 12:30 #177099 by kz650csr81
i dunno my 81 650 csr has tubing that goes between 1 and 4 and then t's off to a larger tube that goes to what appears to be the crank case... This is how I got it and my bike runs great so I didn't mess with it.. i know they are just vacuum tubes and what it is doin is trying to equalize the vacuum throuhgout the engine/carbs so I am guessing that they all can be capped without creating any problems.. just remember all connections have to be capped or you can cause harm to the motor