Bike leaking fuel

More
01 Sep 2007 04:54 #167706 by Hightower
Bike leaking fuel was created by Hightower
Need to get the tank off my CSR 650, its leaking fuel and stinking the place outta it ... help help help

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Sep 2007 06:00 #167711 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Bike leaking fuel
Before you pull the tank, wipe things off and look with a flashlight to get a rough idea of location of leak. Then take it from there...

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
01 Sep 2007 08:09 #167724 by Hightower
Replied by Hightower on topic Bike leaking fuel
Looks like its coming from one of the rubber connections to the carbs on the left side ... would ths be because of proped on side stand ???

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
01 Sep 2007 08:51 #167726 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic Bike leaking fuel
Does it still leak if you put your bike on the center stand?

It's likely that the float level on that particular carb is set at the wrong level and/or the float needle isn't seating (clogged seat or worn needle) and causing it to overflow.

It's not an uncommon problem, and if it's the outside (#1) carb it can be cleaned/adjusted/repaired by simply removing the float bowl.

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

More
01 Sep 2007 12:36 #167763 by Hightower
Fuel setting was on PRI ... :unsure:

Jet washed any fuel off bike & started her up! On the centre stand!! All seems fine now will check later to see if there is any more fuel seepage.

Do all CSR's tilt over so far on the sidestand ???

Or is it just my bike ... Will get a pic up soon ...

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
01 Sep 2007 14:41 #167777 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic Bike leaking fuel
Even with the fuel setting on PRI (prime), none of the carbs should flood if the floats are set and functioning properly and if the float needles aren't worn and/or needle seats clogged.

Hard to tell how far your bike is leaning, so will wait to see pic to be able to tell for sure.
If it is leaning over drastically, it's probably as simple as the sidestand bracket that's welded to the frame being slightly bent.
This usually happens when someone who is "gravitationally challenged" sits on the bike while it's on the sidestand. :S

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

More
18 Sep 2007 19:00 #171432 by Hightower
Well I replaced the fuel lines and filter ... Waheeyyy so i thought problem fixed!!

But no found another source of fuel leakage ...

Behing the carbs ... Black box, air filter connection i think???

There's a drainage pipe hanging down from this just in front of the back wheel, this is dumping fuel out intermittently! Very bad if I was riding at speed ... But it only seems to be happening when the bike is stopped and lying up!!

:angry: Dam thing is stinking the place out and getting dangerous ... Thinking of selling up!!

More
19 Sep 2007 05:31 #171513 by jcote75
Replied by jcote75 on topic Bike leaking fuel
Hi,

Not sure of this but could it be the petcock that is leaking and dripping gaz in the carbs and going in the airbox?

Did you check tyhe oil level, maybe gaz is going there also.

More
20 Sep 2007 02:23 #171694 by Hightower
Ahhh jasus ... Dont say that! Fuel going into the bikes engine oil!! B*llocks

Will have a looksee ... What am I looking for really!

Is it a cheap fix???

Post edited by: Hightower, at: 2007/09/20 05:24

More
20 Sep 2007 03:04 #171697 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic Bike leaking fuel
PM sent. Also check your petcock and make sure it's not leaking. If it is you can rebuild it easy. Also turn the gas off when the bike is sitting. I always turn mine off about a block from home or where I am going to stop. Might not do much but it makes me feel better. ;)

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

More
22 Sep 2007 00:21 #172132 by Hightower
There's no off on my petcock ????

More
22 Sep 2007 04:20 #172142 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Bike leaking fuel
Petcock in normal run position is designed to remain closed until opened by vacuum from a running engine.
Faulty petcock operation may be repairable. Or perhaps replace with a new old-fashion positive on-off style petcock.

Would again review the earlier advice from RRRR.

Likely the float needle/seat interface is leaking and allowing continuous fuel into float bowl. Excess fuel should overflow from the bottom bowl nipple, but if overflow function is clogged or blocked, excess fuel may then flow through the carb throats rearward to air box and forward to combustion chamber. The air box also has a drain tube to ground, but may be clogged or otherwise allowing fuel to drain downward into crankcase via the crankcase vent tube.

Often the float needle and seat may be cleaned and returned to service. Keep the same needle with its same respective seat. They are a matched pair. If renewed, best to replace as a set.

A less likely reason for float bowl overflow could be faulty float function from being stuck, leaking or maladusted.

Meanwhile, to temporarily stop the smell and leak, might try clamping the fuel line where it exits the petcock.

And when the float needle/seat interface is cleaned up and corrected, be sure to install an in-line fuel filter to help avoid a recurring problem. And check for proper function of float bowl overflow.

Yep, that leaking gas does indeed stink up the place :sick:, and is also dangerous :ohmy:.

Good luck with the repair! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD