Bike leaking fuel

More
24 Sep 2007 13:31 #172591 by lifeliberty
Replied by lifeliberty on topic Bike leaking fuel
you can rebuild your leaky petcock, but often that won't fix it. just replace it with a Pingel or Drag Specialties petcock and be done with it.

wipe out your airbox.

change your oil and filter.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Sep 2007 15:11 - 03 Dec 2008 08:00 #172618 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic .
del
Last edit: 03 Dec 2008 08:00 by JMKZHI.

More
11 Oct 2007 01:44 #175639 by Hightower
Replied by Hightower on topic Bike leaking fuel
Cheers for all your help ....

Sold the bike off to someone who has loads of them!!

He'll have better luck with it than me .....;)

More
11 Oct 2007 07:11 #175667 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Bike leaking fuel
R4 stated: "Even with the fuel setting on PRI (prime), none of the carbs should flood if the floats are set and functioning properly and if the float needles aren't worn and/or needle seats clogged."

I have to disagree here... The float assembly on any vintage bike or new one, for that matter is NOT intended to be a gas shut off valve... it is intended to be used to METER gas during operation. This is why ALL motorcycles sold have a petcock that either has an OFF position to manually shut off gas supply when the bike isn't being operated OR has a vacuum petcock to shut off gas automatically when a bike isn't being operated.

ANY bike will leak if the carbs remain supplied with gas and the bike is parked, especially when the bike is on side stand. The downhill (#1) carb is almost always the culprit. TURN YOUR GAS OFF or MAKE SURE YOUR VACUUM PETCOCK WORKS or install an inline gas shut off valve if you don't want carburetors to leak when the bike is parked. Think about WHY the added complication of a vacuum petcock was put into most bikes in the 80s... the manufacturers knew that carbs leak if gas isn't shut off and the vacuum petcock is an attempt to fool-proof turning gas off.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
11 Oct 2007 10:10 #175712 by violentvintagecycles
Replied by violentvintagecycles on topic Bike leaking fuel
Wg said it best, dont think its a carb issue think its a petcock issue. My honda has a vacuum petcock, but upon replacing the gas tank I mangled the filter that pushes up into the tank on the petcock and left it out. Leaked gas if parked on the sidestand ever since. My bike does have an off position tho as well, and simply shutting it off stops the gas from leaking. That filter is like 28$ by the way, ill stick to shutting it off.