Carb Ques 1: Can you identify these carbs?

More
04 Jul 2007 12:32 #154721 by brich
As I am still having some trouble idleing with my 29s I figured I would clean up the other set I got with the bike and see if it idles. Just to verify my troubles lie in the carbs.

Can someone help me identify these as I figure I am going to need some new pilots for them to get them to idle on the bike. I assume they are VM 28s but not positive:

Pilot: 15
Main: 130
ID of where carb meets manifold: 28.5mm

1975 Z1 900, 1075 wiesco kit, web cams, smooth bores, dyna ignition, denco pipe, lester mags, wicked bad rotors, custom gauge face plates .. not much stock left.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jul 2007 12:33 #154723 by brich
Replied by brich on topic Carb Ques 1: Can you identify these carbs?
pic 2 ...

1975 Z1 900, 1075 wiesco kit, web cams, smooth bores, dyna ignition, denco pipe, lester mags, wicked bad rotors, custom gauge face plates .. not much stock left.
Attachments:

More
04 Jul 2007 12:33 #154724 by brich
pic 3 ...

Attachments:

More
04 Jul 2007 12:34 #154725 by brich
pic 4 ...

Attachments:

More
04 Jul 2007 12:34 #154726 by brich
pic 5 ...

Attachments:

More
04 Jul 2007 14:10 #154740 by AR15Ron
Replied by AR15Ron on topic Carb Ques 1: Can you identify these carbs?
Look like 26mm to me. The 28's have a flatter top with only 2 screws holding it down. There's a little article on Z-1's web site to ID them, going by that yours would be 26mm. I think the 29's look very similar, but the 28's have the different tops and the synchronizing mechanism is externally mounted so you don't have to take the tops off to do it. Looks like you have empty holes where the air screws should be, mine had plastic caps to limit how far you could turn them (discard). The 28's should have the air screws on the side instead of the bottom.

Ron

More
04 Jul 2007 16:07 #154754 by brich
Thanks .. i just checked out that article and agree that it looks like the 26s. The only thing that confuses me is my whole idle setup is different then all of those. I wonder if it came off another model bike.
Plus, I always thought you were supposed to measure the ID of where the carb meets the manifold to get the size. However, I don't remember where I heard that so maybe that isn't true.

Anyone know how to properly measure a carb size?

More
05 Jul 2007 05:17 #154828 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Carb Ques 1: Can you identify these carbs?
Look at the ID mark on the flange of the carb. If they are 28mm carbs (will measure about 28.7mm inside diameter of the engine side venturi, they will likely be Z1R 1978 carbs. The ID mark is on the choke side flange where the carb fits into the bracket that holds all four carbs. I think on those carbs the ID mark will the same on the #4 carb flange as well.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
05 Jul 2007 06:06 #154834 by brianrae33
Replied by brianrae33 on topic Carb Ques 1: Can you identify these carbs?
those look identicle to my 28's...mine are off a z1r and some 28's do have the exact same tops as the 26's..

1982 kz1000ltd

More
05 Jul 2007 15:47 #154929 by brich
It all makes sense now. The guy i got this off of had a Z1R. These must have been his old carbs he gave me with the bike.

Thank you all!

-brian

More
17 Jul 2007 22:52 #157649 by AR15Ron
Replied by AR15Ron on topic Carb Ques 1: Can you identify these carbs?
hmm someone should update taht article on Z1, I bet I passed up some carbs on ebay thinking they were 26's!

More
18 Jul 2007 04:28 #157668 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Carb Ques 1: Can you identify these carbs?
Wow Ron... Z1E was good enough to put a VM29 page up and now you want to scold them for not spending enough time to put a full carb ident article up so you won't mess up eBay buys bwhahaha

Now that I think of it, I asked folks for help with specs from their shop manuals awhile ago on carb specs. I was going to put a full carb ident section up on my website but not one person responded so I just dropped the project and keep track of specs privately. I think you were one of the folks who said they were too busy to take a couple seconds to write specs down.... hmmm bwhahhahahaha

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!