KZ1000P idle issues

More
17 Jun 2007 07:28 #150164 by liliysdad
KZ1000P idle issues was created by liliysdad
I have a 1994 KZ1000P with the BS34 Mikunis on it. I had an issue with my intake manifold bots leaking, so I replaced them. I got it running again last night, and it idles pretty well. However, I am still getting an air leak somewhere.

I recently added Emgo pods to the bike, and tis is when my issues started. Initially, the boots were cracked, but werent leaking. When I added the pods, it looks like the added amount of movement caused further cracking of the boots. I got that issue resolved, and now this one popped up.

The bike idles fine. When I crack the throttle, there is a small flat spot that I realize is jetting. I have jets ordered to fix that issue. After the initial flat spot, the bike revs fine, but after releasing the throttle, it takes a bit long to return to idle, if it even does. Often, it will only drop to 2k rpm. I have checked the throttle cables, and they are not binding, the throttle snaps shut with authority. All vacuum ports are plugged, with the exception of the port linked to the vacuum petcock.

The petcock has a small leak and needs to be rebuilt, but I have a hard time believing that the entire issue is the possible small vacuum leak in the petcock. The only other thing I can think of would be the air screw O-rings, but they didnt cause any issues before the pod swap.

Does anyone have any other ideas? I have done the carb spray around the intakes thing, and the idle doesnt change. I am about to pull my hair our figuring on this one.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jun 2007 09:03 #150177 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic KZ1000P idle issues
Probably already checked for any leakage via the carb manifold vacuum nipple plugs, but not, would do so, and here are replacements from Z1E if needed. :)

VacPlugs

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
17 Jun 2007 09:07 #150179 by liliysdad
Replied by liliysdad on topic KZ1000P idle issues
The J/P series engines do not use manifold vacuum nipples.

More
17 Jun 2007 09:10 #150180 by Patton
Forgot to mention -- would first assure correct valve clearances (one or more might be tight) and do compression test. Then double-check ignition timing and operation of the advancer unit. Be sure advancer is completely and freely closing at idle speed (not sticking or hanging above closed position, no stretched or broken springs, and adequately lubed). :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
17 Jun 2007 09:28 #150186 by Patton
liliysdad wrote:

The J/P series engines do not use manifold vacuum nipples.

My bad! :blush: Had looked at carbs under 94KZ1000P on Z1E site and saw vacuum plugs listed.

But to muddle onward, despite zilch experience with BS34's - are the carbs properly synched. And are the pilot adjustment screws set correctly (if applicable to BS34's :P)?

Just trying to help liliysdad on Father's Day. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
17 Jun 2007 09:39 #150187 by Patton
Looks like no advancer unit either. Sorry about not being more familar with the more modern factory pre-set non-adjustable ignitions. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
17 Jun 2007 10:10 #150192 by liliysdad
It seems that it has to be a vacuum issue. It ran perfectly before I decided to jack with the carbs. Maybe I will pull the top covers, and make sure the slides arent gummed up or anything.

More
17 Jun 2007 10:30 #150197 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic KZ1000P idle issues
you put pods on, they flow more air than stock, I would think that the whole carb package would have to be adj to meet the new conitions

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
18 Jun 2007 06:58 #150430 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic KZ1000P idle issues
The BS34s are pretty sensitive to air flow changes. The Emgo pods require #40 pilot jets and #140 mains else they will be lean. Also, you talked about carb holders. REPLACE and NEVER attempt to repair. If you see a crack, they are HARD and will not seal well. Using gasket maker or other goop is a poor idea. The carb holders DO NOT cost that much and MUST be replaced if they are in poor condition.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
18 Jun 2007 07:08 #150443 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic KZ1000P idle issues
I must correct you on that L-dad! The J series bikes do have vacuum plugs, right on the carburetor. Proof?

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean
Attachments:

More
18 Jun 2007 13:34 #150630 by liliysdad
kzwolfsr wrote:

I must correct you on that L-dad! The J series bikes do have vacuum plugs, right on the carburetor. Proof?

No one said they didnt. What was said is that the P/J series do not have ports on the manifolds, as the older KZs do.

More
18 Jun 2007 14:10 #150638 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic KZ1000P idle issues
Ooooo on the manifolds, sorry!

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean