KZ1000P idle issues

More
18 Jun 2007 14:16 #150639 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic KZ1000P idle issues
Do you still have the emmisions system hooked up? Does it still exist on you bike, the smog control as some guys here call it? If it is hooked up to your carbs still, check those hoses, they cause air leaks also. I had that problem on my 650. So basically check all the boots and holders, check vacuum plugs, check your emissions control lines and make sure that your vacuum actuated petcock is still hooked up. I don't remember reading to see if you have new carb holders but if not check for leaks and make sure they are screwed in snug to the head.

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jun 2007 15:24 #150657 by liliysdad
Replied by liliysdad on topic KZ1000P idle issues
New carb holders from Z1 have been installed. The emissions has been removed, and all ports plugged.

I am beginning to wonder if my idle screw o-rings are leaking.

More
18 Jun 2007 18:20 #150713 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic KZ1000P idle issues
liliysdad wrote:

...had an issue with my intake manifold bots leaking, so I replaced them...still getting an air leak somewhere...after releasing the throttle, it takes a bit long to return to idle, if it even does. Often, it will only drop to 2k rpm. I have checked the throttle cables, and they are not binding, the throttle snaps shut with authority. All vacuum ports are plugged, with the exception of the port linked to the vacuum petcock. The petcock has a small leak and needs to be rebuilt, but I have a hard time believing that the entire issue is the possible small vacuum leak in the petcock. The only other thing I can think of would be the air screw O-rings, but they didnt cause any issues before the pod swap. Does anyone have any other ideas? I have done the carb spray around the intakes thing, and the idle doesnt change....

The clamp rings holding the manifolds onto the carbs are of course tight.

Have you tried capping the vacuum (block it off) which leads to the petcock and just using the petcock prime position? Thinking this would remove small petcock vacuum leak from the equation.

Recall reading somewhere that some sort of sealer should be used when attaching manifolds to engine. Thinking maybe a leak between manifold and engine.

Also like your idea about double-checking the o-rings in pilot adjuster screws.

Have you tried enriching the pilot air screw adjustments?

Believe you correctly suspect an air leak. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
18 Jun 2007 18:39 #150719 by liliysdad
Replied by liliysdad on topic KZ1000P idle issues
Manifolds and carbs are sealed up good. Tried to eliminate the petcock, but no change. Its leaking, but not enough mto make a difference, I think.

I did adjust the sir screws tonight. Four full turns out, and its getting better. I think I will replace to O-rings tomorrow, and see if that heps any at all.

It cant be too many damn things......trial and error