mod problems

More
02 May 2007 10:14 #136458 by rdgrnr
mod problems was created by rdgrnr
Hi guys, I have a 79 KZ1000 Ltd that has had a 1300 bore kit, and 4-1 Kerker installed. When I bought this last summer, it was missing the Air Assembly. There was a hose crossing from one valve to the other. Number 1 and 2 carb holders were connected to each other as well as were 3 and 4. It was also missing the silencer box.
It ran okay, but stumbled under heavy acceleration.
Yesterday I installed the Air assembly and reconnected the carb holders to it. I wasn't sure on the proper connection but guessed the lines to go to the outward holders and tee to the inners. I am thinking that maybe the inners need to be plugged instead? Anyway, it ran only if I had the choke at least 1/4 on and ran rough at that. It seemed fuel starved, so I restricted the airflow at the box and it ran better. With that said, I am guessing this bike was modified without being re-jetted. If so, does anyone have a suggestion on what I need to jet this to, and are there any other adjustsments I need to make? Also, does anyone know where I can get a service manual in pdf form?
Thanks

77 KZ650B1
80 440 LTD Sold
78 GL1000 Naked Wing Sold
80 CM400E Sold
Brainerd, MN

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 May 2007 15:36 #136532 by Frank
Replied by Frank on topic mod problems
you are confused, those are vaccum lines. They do not go to the airbox. It running crappy because you disconected them. either plug all four tits or connect them the way the were which will plug them.

More
03 May 2007 05:20 #136689 by rdgrnr
Replied by rdgrnr on topic mod problems
Sorry for the confusion, I neglected to say that it was the air valve assembly that I re-connected. I think that #2 and #3 need to be plugged, but I am still concerned about the re-jetting to compensate for the modifications.

77 KZ650B1
80 440 LTD Sold
80 CM400E Sold
Brainerd, MN

More
03 May 2007 06:52 #136716 by Frank
Replied by Frank on topic mod problems
Oh i see stupid american pollution control devices eh lol. I don't have that so no clue, but in my book for a kz750 it says #2 and #3 are connected with a T then go to that garbage, I think, don't have the book on my now. But yes you will deffinately have to rejet.

More
03 May 2007 08:09 #136746 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic mod problems
rdgrnr...can You post a pic of those carbs?
It would help to first identify them,and to see exactly what hoses You're talking about.B)

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
03 May 2007 08:19 #136752 by rdgrnr
Frank,
Do you think 1 or 2 sizes on the jets? This is my first KZ and I'm not sure what the hell I'm doin', but learning by trial and error. I'm thinking that I should have started with a stock one for learning.
Thanks

77 KZ650B1
80 440 LTD Sold
80 CM400E Sold
Brainerd, MN

More
03 May 2007 09:34 #136770 by rdgrnr
Sandy, no pics as of yet. Looks like I need to plug the inners, and get a silencer for it.
Thanks

77 KZ650B1
80 440 LTD Sold
80 CM400E Sold
Brainerd, MN

More
09 May 2007 07:51 #138506 by rdgrnr
okay,
I have the air valve lines hooked up correctly, but still have the poor running. It is obvious that it is fuel starved. I found out that the carbs were not rejetted for the 1300 bore kit. I have the VM26SS Mikuni's. What size do I need to jet to?

77 KZ650B1
80 440 LTD Sold
80 CM400E Sold
Brainerd, MN

More
09 May 2007 07:59 #138511 by austin3119
Replied by austin3119 on topic mod problems
I would start by ditching the vm26's if you have a 1300 kit on your bike. I would think for that setup you would need at least 34's - 38's . Some of the big bore guys I'm sure will get back to you on this one.

More
09 May 2007 12:08 #138589 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic mod problems
Since you sent me an email asking I reply, I will try... I didn't reply initially as little you said made any sense to me. I am kind of slow...

start with the 1300 bore kit. What the heck is a 1300 bore kit? Is this a big bore piston kit with aftermarket block? You sure can't bore the stock 1015 liners to fit a piston that large. Who made this kit and what compression? Does the bike have any other go-fast stuff, like aftermarket cams?

OK... once we figure out that, you ask about air valve hoses. I am not sure what you are talking about. Go to our web page www.wgcarbs.com - Under "wg's Tech Stuff Index" look at the VM Carb Connections link and see if you can sort out connecting these carbs.

Air valves? Do you mean the emissions equipment on the 79 and later models? If so, there will be two reed valves located under plates on your valve cover... you will see two big hose fitting nozzles. Is this stuff connected? What kind of petcock do you have? I would be surprised if the emission stuff is still on the bike.

Carbs... You have VM26? What year? The baseline jetting is different for each type of carb assembly and it doesn't do any good to talk about jetting without knowing the specific type of VM26. If you are looking for performance, with a piston kit, the VM26 may not be the hot ticket... but you can them jetted to run OK; its just that they will be the restriction on performance. To ident the carbs, look at the outside carb flange where the carb bodies insert into the carb holding bracket. There will be a little number stamped on the flange. What is the number (actually numbers and letters). I will try and post a pic of the location.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!
Attachments:

More
09 May 2007 13:09 #138604 by rdgrnr
Thanks wiredgeorge for your reply.
I'm not positive on the bore kit. I was told that from the seller that said he bought it that way.
The owners manual says the carbs are VM26SS (79 KZ1000 LTD)
On my bike, the bowl vent hoses are routed to the bottom alongside the overflow hoses.
#1 and #2 carb mount bracket were connected to each other as was 3 and 4.
Do you know where I can fiind a service manual in pdf format? Am feeling lost...
Thanks

Post edited by: rdgrnr, at: 2007/05/09 16:12

77 KZ650B1
80 440 LTD Sold
80 CM400E Sold
Brainerd, MN

More
10 May 2007 07:14 #138851 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic mod problems
You very likely don't have a 1300 bore kit since I don't think there is such a thing. If you have cylinder bores that big, you can tell because you will likely have an aftermarket block on the bike to accomodate the larger liners. Sitting in front of your bike by the front tire, look at the #4 head pipe. On the bottom left of the block... does it say " 1015cc? If so, you probably don't have a "kit" as that is a stock block. That block may have been bored at some point and oversized pistons installed but the whole deal about 1300 kits is questionable...

We are also tripping over terms... Go to my "VM carb connections link" under "wg's Tech Stuff Index" on our website. You can see how the carbs are supposed to be hooked up...

CARB HOLDERS are the rubber bits that attach to the cylinder head and the carbs are stuck into. These have vacuum ports. These vacuum ports should have vacuum caps; not hoses, connected to them. www.z1enterprises.com can sell you the correct vacuum plugs. I suggest you use the correct ones as normal vacuum plugs tend to deteriorate REAL FAST when used on these ports.

The vents on your carbs are holes in the top of the float bowl. On the #1 and #3 carbs, these go up and come out the side of the carb and connect to the #2 and #4 carbs respectively via a short bit of black rubber hose. The #2 and #4 carbs have brass barbs up on their left sides as viewed from the rear. These are vent ports and must not be plugged or capped. If you have hoses on them, the hoses should just go over the swing arm.

I ask you once again to get the ID mark on your carbs. If you want help, it would really help to know exactly what type carbs are being discussed. I suggest that since the bike is 30 years old and owned by a bunch of folks, the carbs may not be the ones described in your owners manual. IF they are VM26Ss w/pump, those carbs are basically not very user friendly and hard to tune. ID the carbs please.

Last, the VM26 pump carbs are NOT covered in any Kawasaki Factory Service Manual supplement or main manual that I know of. I have most all of these. I also have the Clymers and Haynes for the KZ1000 and there is no info either. The Clymer gives specs but if you set the carb up to these specs, it doesn't work well.

Post edited by: wiredgeorge, at: 2007/05/10 10:17

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!