1980 Z-1 Fuel Injections problems

More
07 Jan 2007 19:49 #104083 by baja454
1980 Z-1 Fuel Injections problems was created by baja454
I just picked up a Z-1 EFI that doesn't run correctly. The previous owner could get it running by spraying starter fluid in the airbox, but I don't want to do that. I want to make sure the fuel lines ect. are in the right places first off. Is there an online diagram for this? I plan to get order a manual, I just want to get quick start on it.

Post edited by: baja454, at: 2007/01/07 23:02
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pstrbrc
  • User
  • '81 GPz 1100 project
More
07 Jan 2007 19:55 #104085 by pstrbrc
Replied by pstrbrc on topic 1980 Z-1 Fuel Injections problems
baja454 wrote:

I just picked up a Z-1 EFI that doesn't run correctly. The previous owner could get it running by spraying starter fluid in the airbox, but I don't want to do that. I want to make sure the fuel lines ect. are in the right places first off. Is there an online diagram for this? I plan to get order a manual, I just want to get quick start on it.

Have you tried Kawasaki.com?

Kawasaki.com

Post edited by: pstrbrc, at: 2007/01/07 22:57

Post edited by: pstrbrc, at: 2007/01/07 22:58

\'81 GPz 1100 project
Elkhart, Kansas USA
\"Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him.\" Groucho Marx

More
07 Jan 2007 21:02 #104102 by steell
Replied by steell on topic 1980 Z-1 Fuel Injections problems
I have a Factory Service Manual that covers the 81 1100B1, and I'm pretty sure that it uses the same system as your 80 KZ1000.

If you don't get it fixed by the time I get home Monday night then I'll quote the appropriate parts of it.

KD9JUR

More
08 Jan 2007 06:32 #104132 by IowaKZ
Replied by IowaKZ on topic 1980 Z-1 Fuel Injections problems
I have a fuel diagram for that system. I also have the G1 Classic. I will work on getting it tonight. PM me with your email address.

Hey did you just get this off ebay? I was watching 2 auctions for 2 different G1's.

also, what is your location?

Dale

1980 G1 Classic
Bettendorf, Iowa

More
08 Jan 2007 15:27 #104286 by kz1000g
Replied by kz1000g on topic 1980 Z-1 Fuel Injections problems
I'm betting the computer for your fuel injection does not work. Even back in 1980, they were not very reliable.

The bike is pretty much an LTD with fuel injection. There is still an after market manual available. I have the Kawasaki trouble shooting guide for the bike (KZ1000G model). So much of the stuff is just not available now.

I put Mikuni 26's on mine with a new ignition system. It runs, but it is way too rich.

I have got over $3,000 in just parts in mine. I still think the intake manifold is just not going to ever work right. I love the bike, but it's still a work in progress.

Paul Sr.
kz1000g

More
08 Jan 2007 17:40 #104315 by steell
Replied by steell on topic 1980 Z-1 Fuel Injections problems
If it's the computer that it seems to me that replacing it with a MegaSquirt would be the cheapest solution ($140 in kit form).

KD9JUR

More
09 Jan 2007 17:34 #104557 by tnutz
Replied by tnutz on topic 1980 Z-1 Fuel Injections problems
so much work involved with that...and then you have to add a TPS...It's not just buy a megasquirt and plug it in...Carbs would be a much faster alternative. i know once my GPZ dies some carbs will be going on. But for now, ride it and love it.

More
09 Jan 2007 18:34 #104574 by baja454
Replied by baja454 on topic 1980 Z-1 Fuel Injections problems
I'm more interested in keeping it as original as I can because it is a good canidate for that. Doesn't it have more value if it is original?

More
09 Jan 2007 19:18 #104584 by 77KZ650
Replied by 77KZ650 on topic 1980 Z-1 Fuel Injections problems
tnutz wrote:

so much work involved with that...and then you have to add a TPS...It's not just buy a megasquirt and plug it in...Carbs would be a much faster alternative. i know once my GPZ dies some carbs will be going on. But for now, ride it and love it.

no its not a plug-n-play thing, but its the best option. it takes some work to set it up, and then properly tune it, but then its damn near perfect. carbs just cant deliver the tuning capabilities an EFI system can.

07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

More
09 Jan 2007 19:54 #104590 by tnutz
Replied by tnutz on topic 1980 Z-1 Fuel Injections problems
i agree totally, i love EFI. But i know when mine dies i will just buy get a set of carbs so i can ride the thing.

More
23 Jan 2007 15:52 #107719 by baja454
Replied by baja454 on topic 1980 Z-1 Fuel Injections problems
I have found that my fuel pump is not pumping fuel, but if I hold my finger over the out, it does build pressure. Does the fuel pump need to be primed if it has been sitting for a long time with the hoses disconnected?

• pstrbrc
  • User
  • '81 GPz 1100 project
More
23 Jan 2007 16:34 #107732 by pstrbrc
Replied by pstrbrc on topic 1980 Z-1 Fuel Injections problems
baja454 wrote:

I have found that my fuel pump is not pumping fuel, but if I hold my finger over the out, it does build pressure. Does the fuel pump need to be primed if it has been sitting for a long time with the hoses disconnected?

The fuel pump is below the fuel tank, and an almost straight drop to boot. Priming should be unnecessary. My '81 GPz should have the same system as yours, but let's go through it a step at a time.
#1. Is your petcock a manual one or vacuum controlled? Whichever, make sure you have fuel coming out.
#2. They used crappy fuel filters, and if your tank has much junk, you might have a clogged filter. Unless it's brand new, replace it. Even if you have flow coming out, this system needs excess flow, and these high pressure fuel pumps can't suck, they can only push. So you need your filter to freely flow all that the pump wants, or it will cavitate and not pump anything.
#3. Has this pump sat unused for long? One of the tricks I have found with these is to hook up some 5/8 hose on both sides, and just see if it will pump clean gas from one gas can to another. Use a couple of friends, so you have enough hands for everything. I've got a setup that's really simple with a couple of battery clamps and wires, with a switch in the middle of one of the wires and .25 blade connectors for the fuel pump.
What I'm saying is, F.I. isn't all that complicated, you just need to figure out how to isolate the problem.
Oh, and if you do need a different brain for your bike, you're welcome to mine. It worked fine 16 years ago. I'm just a hotrodder at heart, so I'm having fun MegaSquirting my bike.;)

\'81 GPz 1100 project
Elkhart, Kansas USA
\"Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him.\" Groucho Marx