TOPIC:

Drag head needed 20 Aug 2021 23:18 #854127

• Killerkz101180
  • Killerkz101180's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
Kz1000 drag head needed complete with valves and cams ready to go 
let me know what you have 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Drag head needed 21 Aug 2021 06:04 #854135

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2043
Some specifics are needed to answer your question. 
There are three distinct KZ1000 heads. The KZ, the J and the so called bathtub head. In stock configuration, they flow quite differently. The KZ uses a different style cam chain than the other two and the bathtub requires different pistons. Which one do you want to run?
Do you care what size valves are installed or for what rpm and displacement the head has been ported for? Or if it has been ported at all?
Which cams do you want? There are a whole lot of choices depending on your specific build needs.
Do you want a head for natural aspiration or forced induction?
The head configuration is absolutely crucial to ultimate performance. All the components of the engine need to be designed to work together in harmony toward the same goal.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
The following user(s) said Thank You: ThatGPzGuy, Dragbike_Mike

Drag head needed 21 Aug 2021 06:22 #854137

• Dragbike_Mike
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 103

Some specifics are needed to answer your question. 
There are three distinct KZ1000 heads. The KZ, the J and the so called bathtub head. In stock configuration, they flow quite differently. The KZ uses a different style cam chain than the other two and the bathtub requires different pistons. Which one do you want to run?
Do you care what size valves are installed or for what rpm and displacement the head has been ported for? Or if it has been ported at all?
Which cams do you want? There are a whole lot of choices depending on your specific build needs.
Do you want a head for natural aspiration or forced induction?
The head configuration is absolutely crucial to ultimate performance. All the components of the engine need to be designed to work together in harmony toward the same goal.
Amen, brother!   Great post, TexasKZ!
Presently - 1980 KZ1000B4 LTD w/mild ported head, Megacycle cams, 1015cc Wiseco, Falicon Supercrank, R&D undercut trans
In a former life - KZ-based dragbike - CrMo car tire chassis, 1395cc, Hahn Racecraft turbo system, VP C16, Orient Express 3-spd auto, 7.80's @ 165-170.

Drag head needed 21 Aug 2021 08:23 #854143

• Mikaw
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1843
Nice post TexasKz. Must have been channeling Larry Cavanaugh. 
1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.

Drag head needed 21 Aug 2021 12:01 #854150

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2043

Nice post TexasKz. Must have been channeling Larry Cavanaugh. 
Thanks. I wish I knew 0.01% of what he knew about such things.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
The following user(s) said Thank You: DOHC, Mikaw

Drag head needed 22 Aug 2021 18:24 #854205

• Injected
  • User
  • Thank you received: 367
You should ask under the "wanted" section, or try Ebay - There are always used drag heads on there.

Drag head needed 02 Sep 2021 00:09 #854722

• Killerkz101180
  • User
Needing a early kz head not J or gpz ...as far as RPM my limiter is set at 11.5k I think motor is a 1327cc 13.5to1 n/a no forced air I run c12 for fuel and a set of 40mm lectrons. ....the head I had was not what I needed it was on the motor when it was a 1075cc with Mic carbs the head did good but I upgrade about everything I could besides head so thats where I'm at now ......valve and cam size recommendations would be appreciated and any other information  you want to send my way would be great .... I am new to drag racing I raised the majority of last year but have had bad luck getting bike ready and missed almost all this year ... trying to get to race a full season !!!    I run pro et and id like for my bike to be in the mid to high 5s so I can dial it back an run the 6.0 index class if I want ..hope a little more information will help determine what I need lol.. I know my first post didn't give many details ...i think I posted that a day or so after I broke my bike ( timing chain snapped and that broke a cam or vice versa ) ....thanks again !

Drag head needed 02 Sep 2021 01:18 #854723

• zed1015
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1441
I have to say that with 1327cc you will never get an early head to flow enough no matter how big the valves are or how much the ports are opened up, especially normally aspirated.
There is a limit to how much flow you can get out of one of those.
To make the most of that capacity you really need a later J/GPZ head with top idler conversion and fit bigger valves etc to that.
Just remember that the later heads larger 40cc combustion chambers will drop the static compression by around 2 points ( taking 13.5 down to around 11.5 ) so you will have to alow for that.
I would also back off the rev limiter to 11k max as the roller cranks bearings break the oil film and start to skid at 11 so consistently revving to anything over is asking for trouble.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

The following user(s) said Thank You: Killerkz101180

Last edit: by zed1015.

Drag head needed 02 Sep 2021 04:53 #854729

• Dragbike_Mike
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 103
KillerKZ - I'd suggest giving Mike @Lazer Porting a call.  He may not have a KZ head on the shelf for you, but I'm sure that he can give you some direction if you explain your needs to him.

www.lazerporting.com

Mike
Presently - 1980 KZ1000B4 LTD w/mild ported head, Megacycle cams, 1015cc Wiseco, Falicon Supercrank, R&D undercut trans
In a former life - KZ-based dragbike - CrMo car tire chassis, 1395cc, Hahn Racecraft turbo system, VP C16, Orient Express 3-spd auto, 7.80's @ 165-170.

Drag head needed 03 Sep 2021 16:39 #854778

• Injected
  • User
  • Thank you received: 367
I am running about the same combination : 1327cc 13:1 MTC pistons with 40mm Lectrons (38 would be better) head is a KZ900 with 37/31 valves sunk back and fully ported to about 100CFM@10" on intake. Flycut .030" (from stock) to get 34CC combustion chambers. Cams are .480"/.460" and my shift point is 10K.

Attachments:

Last edit: by Injected.

Drag head needed 03 Sep 2021 17:50 #854782

• Killerkz101180
  • User
Like I said I'm kinda new to drag racing and trying to soak up as much info as I can .. with the budget I'm on I can't really pay people to do everything but if I want to continue racing I'm going to have to figure a lot of stuff out on my own with the help of internet friends of course ...lol.   I've been going back and forth between the early KZ head or gpz or J model ... I know the early ads don't flow as much like the gentleman a few comments above stated but I also know that the later ones you lose compression and with me being the one put it together I'm also worried a bit about fitment issue since the Pistons I have wasn't designed for that hand...(that may not be a big deal I don't know) .... and I'm also not looking to set any speed records I Just Want to Have Fun the bracket racing ... It is good to see that an early KZ Head is working well for someone ...im leaning that way... if you don't mind could you tell me a little bit more? Like what times does your bike run how much does the rider weigh and is it a small Tire or big tire bike ?...
... and 38 would have definitely been better I think ....that's what I search for for a couple of weeks but when I seen these come up for sale I couldn't pass them up they were a very good deal like 200 or something... I sent them up to fbg with a list of everything my bike had and he got them all cleaned up and set up for me so hopefully the lectrons will run pretty good ...
     . thanks again for all the info guys

Drag head needed 03 Sep 2021 17:57 #854783

• Killerkz101180
  • User
Thanks for all the info and tips I really appreciate it ... I was at the shop today and dialed the limiter back ...besides staging on a two-step..(low limit) I don't think I ever remember that bike hitting the hi -limit. .... I guess I know why now