Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

anyone? alot of people look but noone knows? 07 Nov 2006 16:35 #90321

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
I recommemd including your bike year/model and location in your signature... you might get better and more focused suggestions. Might even be a local who could lend some expertise. You have multiple problems on your bike and sometimes this makes giving advice difficult... where to start?
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Ouch!!!!!!! now what? 16 Nov 2006 17:27 #92643

• customkzft
  • customkzft's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
OK found the problem, ouch~~~!!!!!!

Broken timming chain.

Now here is another question, Is there a universal link for these? like a chain? Can I replace the chain without splittin the motor? Maybe getting a new chain drilling the pin and replacing it? maybe It's stupid but i'm trying to save time.

Post edited by: customkzft, at: 2006/11/16 20:28

Post edited by: customkzft, at: 2006/11/16 20:29

Post edited by: customkzft, at: 2006/11/16 20:31
Attachments:

anyone? alot of people look but noone knows? 16 Nov 2006 17:32 #92645

• xstreamcanadian
  • User
  • Thank you received: 11

Post edited by: xstreamcanadian, at: 2006/11/16 20:33

anyone? alot of people look but noone knows? 16 Nov 2006 17:49 #92650

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
  • Thank you received: 80
www.z1enterprises.com sells the tool, and link, but it isn't cheap. If you're careful, you can do this with minimal parts replacing, and not have to remove the head, or oil pan. I will soon be taking on this task(within a few weeks), but my engine is already out of the bike. If the timing chain brike, where and why did it? Are there pieces in the oil pan? You might want to investigate this before just replacing the chain alone. Remember you have that tensioner there as well.

How many miles on that ride there?

Post edited by: CoreyClough, at: 2006/11/16 20:51
'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp

anyone? alot of people look but noone knows? 16 Nov 2006 18:00 #92653

• reborn650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
Hey Custom. Installing a new timing chain is not something you should be looking to take a short cut on. Do it correctly or get a professional to replace it. If you've got to pull the motor and split the cases then do it. A patchwork job will give you patchwork reliability.

A cam chain that lets loose at high rpm's because of corner cutting has the potential to damage internal parts beyond repair. For the sake of saving your engine get the correct parts and follow the exact installation procedure. You will be riding your bike a lot longer if it is built correctly.

As mentioned earlier, please identify the bike's model and year so fellow members will be able to offer specific advice on your problem.

Cheers-Colin Firth-Ontario Canada
1977Kz 650 Custom. Latest reincarnation includes 810 big-bore with lottsa go-fast goodies tucked away inside.
-1977 Kz650 Custom bought new by brother. Now with 810 kit, GPz750 cams, intake valves, Mikuni 29 smoothbores, velocity stacks, Dyna Igntion, MAC pipe and other goodies.
-1982 Ferrari 308 GTSi Red/Tan
-Toyota FJ Cruiser - 6 speed tank
-2010 Mazda CX-7 Turbo (my bride's)
-1998 Jeep TJ Wrangler 4.0...

anyone? alot of people look but noone knows? 16 Nov 2006 18:06 #92654

• customkzft
  • User
I was riding to work and a car cut me off i locked up the rear wheel and i guess thats where it happened, It was a clean snap, so i don't think there are any metal pieces anywhere. I have the head and cylinder block off it's just trying to get the chain around the gear on the crankshaft. Thanx for the link

anyone? alot of people look but noone knows? 18 Nov 2006 02:10 #92907

• customkzft
  • User
OK well I guess I don't have a chain but a belt, it's a 96 kzp.
So these "belts" can't be broken appart with any tool.
right?

So my only option is to remove the motor and slit the engine, any pointers from anyone who has done this? oviouslly the tranny has to be taken out right? whats involved in that? and how hard is this to do? and if anyone has any pointers at all please i would love to hear them.

Thanx alot guys and wish me luck. :unsure:

anyone? alot of people look but noone knows? 18 Nov 2006 05:46 #92923

• The Gringo
  • User
  • ¡Usted no necesita otra motocicleta!
  • Thank you received: 11
CustomKZFT your last post really made me go "Huh?" since I had never heard of any Kawasaki using a belt for a cam chain. So I looked up your bike on the Kawasaki site and I think I see where your confusion is. In the schematic for your cam chain whoever did the illustration chose not to draw out all the links for the chain rather just a small section so if you just look quickly at the pic it does look like a belt. In the part description it tells you that you do in fact have a chain with 152 links.

I thought it was weird that Kaw would use a belt, the only bike that comes to mind that used a timing belt was the early Goldwings from Honda. Hope this helps.

Post edited by: The Gringo, at: 2006/11/18 08:51
Andy
Akron, Ohio
80 Z-1 Classic-Sold
84 GPZ1100
79 KZ 1000 LTD
78 KZ 1000 A2
77 KZ 1000 LTD-Sold
76 KZ 900 The definition of a barn find
76 KZ 900-Sold gone to Denmark
KZ 750 times 3, KZ 650 times 8 Sold 1 down to 7
KZ 550 times 2 80 440LTD-Sold
81 CSR 305-Sold 81 Yamaha XS650 Special
Attachments:

anyone? alot of people look but noone knows? 18 Nov 2006 06:17 #92927

• Popeye
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
split link cam chains are as common as dog doo over here, the link is rivetted with a special tool and is just as strong as a factory supplied endless chain, some are stronger due to better metal technology used in manufacture. The chains retail here for about $50AUD for standard and $75AUD for heavy duty, the tool is made by Motion Pro and retails for $125 here, but it is a tool that can be used for all chains from Hy-vo camchain up to 630 drive chain. The only must do when using the tool for cam chain is that the pins to be removed have their ends ground off (using a dremel type unit does this best) before pushing them through.

anyone? alot of people look but noone knows? 18 Nov 2006 13:37 #92981

• customkzft
  • User
Thanx guys

The "belt" timing chain is infact A chain, but it is a multy link chain, Meaning it has three "bones" as you may call them and pins. When I talked to a local mechanic he told me it was a chain but called a belt.

Now, this three Bone chain is what i was wanting to take appart, now I know i've been told that I should just take the engine appart but I'd rather not, I don't know exactly what is involved and I don't want to mess with it if i don't have too. I know, Do it the right way first, don't take shortcuts, but I really really don't want to split the motor just to install a chain.

If I have to I will drill out a chain pin and manufacture another pin when I put the chain back on, and if that does not work I will just buy another case with chain still on, I find them on ebay quite often and they are not that expensive.

If indeed you guys tell me that it's not that difficult to take the engine apart then I will consider do it, but if it's something that takes alot of motorcycle engine experiance then I'd rather go the "McGaver" way;)

Here is a pic.
Attachments:

anyone? alot of people look but noone knows? 18 Nov 2006 14:35 #92985

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
customkzft wrote:

it's a 96 kzp

Although unfamiliar with 96kpz top end, am wondering if it uses a hyvo cam chain (not roller-link style). Believe different rules apply for replacing hyvo cam chains in that hyvo is basically a one piece unit not amenable to a "master-link" style replacement.

Just saw Popeye's reply which was educational to me and seems a feasible alternative, even with a hyvo style.

As someone else earlier suggested, Z1E carries the hyvo cam chain, master link, and riveter tool (the tool is listed for under $80 but noted temporarily out of stock)

Post edited by: Patton, at: 2006/11/18 17:43

Post edited by: Patton, at: 2006/11/18 17:54
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

anyone? alot of people look but noone knows? 19 Nov 2006 07:21 #93113

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
  • Thank you received: 109
Im not up on the gpz's, but cant he just remove the pan to gain access, and easily rap the split chain around the crank, rather than splitting the cases?I guess the key here is splt chain. You need the split chain or you will need to split the cases.As far as how hard this is.I would say the hardest part is putting the top end back together.getting the timming of the cams right is usually the most confusing part.Before you put it back to gether you need to measure your piston to wall clearance.If your motor is old enough to need a cam chain you may need a ring job too(or pistons).
76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)