stripped cam cap bolts

More
28 Oct 2006 12:30 #88048 by wiredgeorge
stripped cam cap bolts was created by wiredgeorge
Recall that awhile back someone had some stripped cam cap bolts. I think the concensus or at least a possible explanation was that the person's torque wrench was uncalibrated. I just installed the cams on my project bike and I had carefully chased the thread on all bolt holes with a 6mm 1.0 pitch tap. I do this on all rebuilds and don't recall ever having a stripped cam cap bolt hole thread before... Low and behold, eight of the sixteen stripped before I hit the required 12 lbs torque. The ST has the dark colored bolts and 12 lbs is the torque spec. Anyway, I spent a couple extra hours fixing the stripped thread with inserts but I KNOW my torque wrench is pretty accurate as I used a second one for several of the ones that stripped and it reads pretty much the same. If I had known that 8 of those guys would strip, I would have put 8mm bolts in from the get go.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Oct 2006 16:17 #88103 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic stripped cam cap bolts
I still think 12 or even 8 ft/lb is too much since the aluminum is very soft, particularly the exhaust side which will generally strip before 8 ft/lb is reached. I wonder if the aluminum threads get soft from age from heat or maybe there is just less threads on the exhaust side of the head. Whatever the reason, I figure 5.5 ft/lb is the spec for the valve cover bolts which are the same thread, so I do that torque and never have a problem.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
28 Oct 2006 16:20 #88105 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic stripped cam cap bolts
I thing the real problem is people put those bolts in the head dry, over time the aluminum corodes to the bolt. Then you remove the bolt and see aluminum on it. That hole will fail soon. Those bolts should all have a good coating of assembly lube on the threads. Use the Torco red stuff.

Jay

More
28 Oct 2006 17:03 #88114 by Mark Wing
Replied by Mark Wing on topic stripped cam cap bolts
Almost all my cam caps are heli-coiled. It's common yo strip them.
Mark

Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.

More
28 Oct 2006 20:48 #88198 by 79MKII
Replied by 79MKII on topic stripped cam cap bolts
Several of mine were barely holding on so I had them all heli-coiled. Many engine builders just go ahead and heli-coil all of them when the head is rebuilt. My last head was had "nut-serts" installed in all cam cap threads (similar to heli-coils).

The Kaw List:
Current: 79 KZ1000 A3 MKII, 78 KZ1000 A2, 78 KZ1000 Z1-R, 78 KZ650 SR, 80 KE175
Former: 03 KLX400SR, 99 ZRX1000, 82 KZ750 LTD, 80 KZ1000 A4 MKII, 80 KZ1000 LTD, 78 KZ1000 A2, 74 H-2 750 Triple, 78 KL250

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
29 Oct 2006 03:41 #88231 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic stripped cam cap bolts
We've all been down that road with cam cap bolt holes. Time-serts [spelling?] are probably the best replacement thread kits going.

When installing cams, the factory method only promotes ripping the threads out.

Once the cams are laying in the head and properly timed, the best method is to start the cam caps that have the least amount of travel before mating with the head surface.

You want to set all 4 in place with the bolts in them, sticking down into the bolt holes so you can aline the two shoulder bosses on the cams properly.

Put a 10mm socket on the bolts and spin them down with your fingers.

The manual tells you to start #3 cap first. That particular cap is then pushing #2 intake valve open and putting severe strain on the threads.

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
More
29 Oct 2006 05:21 #88239 by Duck
Replied by Duck on topic stripped cam cap bolts
Suzuki, in the GS1000 FSM, says to clamp the camsaft in place with long nosed vie grips so as not to be pulling against the valve springs.

More
29 Oct 2006 05:47 #88243 by OnkelB
Replied by OnkelB on topic stripped cam cap bolts
Duck wrote:

Suzuki, in the GS1000 FSM, says to clamp the camsaft in place with long nosed vie grips so as not to be pulling against the valve springs.

1045 posted an excellent tip about that technique a while back, hereĀ“s a link to the thread in the archives:

kzrider.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=24241

77 KZ 650 B1, 82 GPz 1100 B2.

More
29 Oct 2006 15:56 #88359 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic stripped cam cap bolts
Some good tips. I think that someone in the past had over tightened the bolts and weakened the threads as I put together about a dozen engines a year and have never had so many go on one engine. No offense Jay, but torque specs are for dry thread and using assembly lube and a torque wrench doesn't make much sense to me but I guess you guys assemble more engines than I do. It is so darn easy to recut 8mm thread that I wish I had known before final assembly as I was too cheap to spring for a new head gasket; just used RECOIL inserts on all the stripped holes. I don't use Timeserts due to the cost... they are likely superior to Recoil inserts but they are prohibitively expensive. If I did engine work for a living, I would spring for them (6, 8 and 14mm I guess but each kit costs 3 times what a Recoil kit does).

Duck - In this case, I doubt clamping the cams in place would have made a difference. On the last cap I had to fix, the cam was already solidly down as it was the on the last two bolts to be torqued and I carefully snugged the last bolt with a wrench before using the torque wrench and it just spun the thread out. There was absolutely no pressure from the cam since there were seven other bolts already torqued. This was just strange as it hasn't happened before.

Post edited by: wiredgeorge, at: 2006/10/29 18:58

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
29 Oct 2006 16:38 #88377 by wallyworld
Replied by wallyworld on topic stripped cam cap bolts
I went with sae bolts in the two that I stripped. I can't remember the size.I'm thinking it was 1/4 nc .They were alittle tight going thru the dowels ,but seem to work fine,I also use dish soap when threading alluminum,it lubes better than oil,

• wireman
  • Visitor
29 Oct 2006 17:18 #88391 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic stripped cam cap bolts
jay is right about using the assembly lube on the bolts ,there is going to friction anytime you run a bolt in dry antiseize or assembly lube on threads makes it easier to get a true torque reading.i use anti seize anytime i run a steel bolt into aluminum it also makes them come out easier. ;)

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
30 Oct 2006 06:32 #88512 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic stripped cam cap bolts
How about using longer studs threaded into the cam bolt holes,and drawing the cam caps down with nuts on the studs.Then removing the studs 1 at a time and installing the proper bolts,and then torque.

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)