Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

What's that called... 28 Sep 2006 11:46 #80292

• jjStinger72
  • jjStinger72's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I've got an 81 KZ750 LTD that i picked up this spring. I honestly have absolutely no clue when it comes to turning wrenches or parts and pieces. Anyway, much to my horror i woke up to find her on her side yesterday morning. Mangled the right mirror, and put a nice crack in that Aluminum cover which says Kawasaki, and sits right next to the foot break. So like the topic says... um, whats that called? ;) oh and any preferred places to start looking for a replacement?

'preciate it

~Jay

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

What's that called... 28 Sep 2006 12:00 #80294

• 77KZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
I believe that you're talking about the points cover, do a search on ebay, and in the classifieds on this site. oh and pick up a shop manual too, for a beginner they are a must!:)
07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

What's that called... 28 Sep 2006 12:22 #80297

• Nevco48
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
The points cover is the small (4" +/-?) round cover with two screws. Sounds like you are talking about the right side engine cover- says Kawasaki, has a little glass oil level sight window?
Do an eBay search, or keep looking here, one will show up...

What's that called... 28 Sep 2006 12:57 #80300

• jjStinger72
  • User
Thanks guys. I do have a service manual which has grown legs in my computer room and walked off. I will definatly spend some time tonight diggin first for it, then through it ;). I was hoping, however, to pop in my local dealership, and see if there was anything they could do on the way home tonight, sounding a bit more poser than newbie :D. These last few weeks it seems, i've needed to have a much better understanding of the workings than i do. I can see that time spent here will help me with that.

I'm thinking it's the points cover from the descriptions given. It's the forward most of the two covers on the right side of the bike and ~4 or 5 inches sounds bout right. It is NOT the cover with the oil cap and oil glass. Looking at the picture up top of the forums here, it would be the cover that says DOHC. Of course, mines an 81, says Kawasaki, and aint that purdy, but its the quasi-same location.

Thanks again
~Jay

Post edited by: jjStinger72, at: 2006/09/28 15:58

What's that called... 28 Sep 2006 13:13 #80304

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 435
Mirrors are cheap and easy to replace.

The aluminum bit seems to be the points cover. Could you do a temporary repair/fill on the crack using JB Weld or some similar epoxy ? At least it might keep moisture and crud out until you got something proper.

Regarding a replacement you could try a wreckers yard if you have one locally. For proper part descriptions you can go to www.kawasaki.com. Click on owner info then parts diagrams. For the bike year select 1982 - trust me on this.

You can download a great workshop manual at www.mbsween.com (he's a member here)

Good Luck
1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

What's that called... 28 Sep 2006 13:14 #80305

• mariozappa
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
I'm pretty sure the points cover for the 650 is the same, since the engine is the same. So it might be easier to look on ebay for a 650 points cover than specifically for a 750. It seems when I look there are a lot less parts for the 750 as opposed to the eight pages of 650 stuff.

My $00.02
1977 KZ650C1
and the KZ650/KZ750 Conversion ;)

What's that called... 28 Sep 2006 14:27 #80321

• Nevco48
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Hey jj,
looks like I shoulda checked the year of your 750 before I went spouting off. Mine are older and the side covers are configured differently.
That's the neat thing about KZR- you'll get a ton of information, and quite a bit of it is correct!:unsure:

. 28 Sep 2006 15:03 #80329

• JMKZHI
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 48
del

Last edit: by JMKZHI.

What's that called... 28 Sep 2006 15:05 #80330

• kawsakiman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
send me a u2u with your address,.i'm pretty sure i still got a couple of my 650 laying around. small scratches but it's free.
someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.

. 28 Sep 2006 15:21 #80335

• JMKZHI
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 48
del

Last edit: by JMKZHI.

What's that called... 28 Sep 2006 16:34 #80351

• wireman
  • Visitor
its called having a real bad day,that sucks!:(

What's that called... 28 Sep 2006 16:41 #80354

• jjStinger72
  • User
No doubt. Popped it off when i got home here. It indeed looks like what i would call points (i was afraid to do so prior, for what i call Jack-in-the-box syndrome). JKM is spot on. Apparently its is officially called a...

Cap, Contact Breaker

...i took a pic of my boo boo. #4 there in my sig.

Thanks again for the assist fellas (and Gals??)
~Jay

• Page: