Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

New Cam End Plugs 27 Jun 2023 16:07 #886547

• Kelly E
  • User
  • Never Give Up. Never Surrender
  • Thank you received: 321
Nice LTD, I have the same seat and it lets me get both feet flat on the ground. I don't have the grab rail so I picked up a set of the small handles that attach to the shock mount and the hole in front of the turn signal. It helps with putting the bike up on the centerstand and someplace to hook bungees to.
The Rust Bros. Garage Collection
1974 Honda CB 550 K0
1975 Honda CB 400F Super Sport
1977 Kawasaki KZ 1000 LTD
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1981 Suzuki GS 1100E
1982 Honda CB 900F Super Sport
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda Sabre 700
1984 Honda Interceptor 1000
1994 Kawasaki ZG 1000 Concours
And more
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: 78kawltd

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New Cam End Plugs 28 Jun 2023 07:42 #886566

• Moose1800
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 265

That's a great looking bike you have!!  I see it has a paint job like the 76 KZ900 LTD, very nice, I call it give me a ticket red.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 78kawltd

New Cam End Plugs 08 Jul 2023 21:08 #886998

• MotorcycleMechanic86
  • Visitor
Yeah unfortunately it’s the same leftover shit on the inside when they make them. I’ve seen it on aftermarket ones and oem kawasaki ones. 

New Cam End Plugs 09 Jul 2023 06:33 #887005

• Moose1800
  • Sustaining Member

Hello KZriders !  Just got these new Vesrah cam end plugs and noticed the backs have a brown reflective "residue" inside.  They were listed as new.  Hmm. 
Is this how they should look inside ?   

Do yourself a favor and save yourself from a big headache......throw that garbage in the trash.

I installed these a while back and had one pop out puking oil down the side of my bike that I have spent days cleaning also soaking my leg with oil. I was lucky to be a few hundred feet from my driveway. When I felt the hot oil on my leg I looked down to see the plug laying on the top fin. Back in the garage I tried several times to reinstall, when I put the cover back on just getting the bolts finger tight the same plug kept popping out.

I searched my stash and found four used OE plugs and they fit like a glove. If I were you I'd just reseal your stock plugs if they appear to be I good shape if not I'd suck it up and buy OE they may be over priced but you get what you pay for sometimes.

Below is a pic of the (OE top pic) and the aftermarket junk below, it seems to me the aftermarket is a bit larger than OE.

New Cam End Plugs 10 Jul 2023 05:41 #887034

• 78kawltd
  • 78kawltd's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • 1978 B2, 06 Heritage Softail,
  • Thank you received: 23
Hello Moose - Previously,  I recall you had recommended the 3M product to install your new Vesrah Cam End Caps.
Here is the basic 3M product description from the website.
3M Black Super Weatherstrip and Gasket Adhesive is designed specifically to bond rubber gaskets and weatherstripping to metal surfaces. This flexible, high-strength adhesive helps ensure a tight waterproof seal on car doors, trunks, sun roofs and more. It cures fast and works right out of the tube, holding rubber weatherstripping in place and resisting heat, vibration, oils and detergents.
www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/v000087446/

It seems like the 3M product is designed for Auto Body weatherstripping.  Trim etc.

Do you think an Engine RTV product may have worked better and solved your install problem from beginning ?

New Cam End Plugs 10 Jul 2023 06:58 #887043

• Moose1800
  • Sustaining Member

Hello Moose - Previously,  I recall you had recommended the 3M product to install your new Vesrah Cam End Caps.
Here is the basic 3M product description from the website.
3M Black Super Weatherstrip and Gasket Adhesive is designed specifically to bond rubber gaskets and weatherstripping to metal surfaces. This flexible, high-strength adhesive helps ensure a tight waterproof seal on car doors, trunks, sun roofs and more. It cures fast and works right out of the tube, holding rubber weatherstripping in place and resisting heat, vibration, oils and detergents.
www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/v000087446/

It seems like the 3M product is designed for Auto Body weatherstripping.  Trim etc.

Do you think an Engine RTV product may have worked better and solved your install problem from beginning ?

I've used it in the past on a turbo engine with great results and it checks all the boxes but I did try high temp RTV on my next two attempts. I had three of the plugs stay put but one would not stay in place no matter what. After having the plug pop out while riding I just couldn't trust using these.

OE plugs from partzilla cost $100 for four plugs that's a lot cheaper than a wrecker bill, when one of these pops out while riding your stranded.

Let me know how it goes for you, I may have just got a bad one but I'm done with this brand.

New Cam End Plugs 10 Jul 2023 08:50 #887054

• 78kawltd
  • Sustaining Member
Thank you for sharing your cam end horror story Moose1800. I would have been pissed off too.
But it appears everything is good again for you,sir. Way to go Moose1800 on remaining steadfast and resilient !  Nice work on your re-do.

BTW- I am thankful, No speeding tickets so far with the Cardinal Red paint. 
The red Kaw may still have that holeshot HP to bolt and escape though-  wouldn't that be fun - just once.

The Indiana KZ riding has been good lately, folks.  Stay safe and keep it legal.

New Cam End Plugs 30 Jul 2023 09:12 #887729

• Moose1800
  • Sustaining Member
It only stings twice, once when you hit the buy it now button and again when you get your CC statement. $110 shipped.
Partzilla had five of these and I bought four, I wonder when these will be NLA.

New Cam End Plugs 30 Jul 2023 10:23 #887732

• Street Fighter LTD
  • Away
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1994
Or go the way I did years ago  https://kzzone. cam cover  aluminun end plugs
Under 38 Bucks at APE KZ Zone
come in natural color or Black

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
The following user(s) said Thank You: slmjim+Z1BEBE, sf4t7, 78kawltd

Last edit: by Street Fighter LTD.

New Cam End Plugs 31 Jul 2023 09:33 #887748

• 78kawltd
  • Sustaining Member
Moose1800 -  $25x4 is a steep price for those. It's just molded Rubber.
Cheers to our relentless pride of ownership. And our passion to keep these ol' bikes rolling along.
Thank you for your update.
Are you planning to install these OE Kaw Cam ends ?   Or add to your surplus ?

I have not performed the valve cover R/R  task yet.  I have all the parts ready now. 

Thank you Dave for the suggestion of the metal APE pieces. They look good. Priced right.

Yep, I still have the new Vesrah pieces whenever its time..
Gonna keep riding meanwhile.
Please be safe kzriders. 

New Cam End Plugs 31 Jul 2023 16:37 #887752

• Street Fighter LTD
  • Away
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1994

Here they are on my bike
Can't ever blow out  .Put some sealer down first then press them into place
Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
Attachments:

New Cam End Plugs 01 Aug 2023 06:48 #887775

• Moose1800
  • Sustaining Member
Dave, I almost went that route but they don't take Discover card and even though the bike is covered with repop parts I would like to keep it looking stock. Also every time I try to save a few bucks or take a short cut it bites me in the ass. It's only money.