Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Crankshaft Welding 27 Apr 2023 01:27 #883814

• daveo
  • daveo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 642
Like to expand on my previous crankshaft assembly post, with emphasis on the welding work... 
Link below:
kzrider.com/forum/2-engine/618672-cranks...tion?start=12#881849

I recently acquired this ZX1100A crankshaft off ebay, where I spotted it three auction cycles before placing a bid...and nobody else did. 
It apparently received a lot of attention around the time my oldest son was blowing out diapers in the late 1980's or so.  The weld quality looks pretty good to my untrained eye.  

I am seeking member input relative to the welding process, skill level needed, and the time it would take to produce a weld like this:

1982 KZ1100-A2

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by daveo.

Crankshaft Welding 27 Apr 2023 02:08 #883817

• zed1015
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1505
Appearances can be deceptive but as long as the weld has good penetration it should be up to the job.
If it's been done professionally the crank would have been stripped indexed and each pin welded as it was assembled to get clear welding access rather than welding them after the crank is complete.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Crankshaft Welding 27 Apr 2023 07:14 #883829

• daveo
  • daveo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 642

Appearances can be deceptive but as long as the weld has good penetration it should be up to the job.
If it's been done professionally the crank would have been stripped indexed and each pin welded as it was assembled to get clear welding access rather than welding them after the crank is complete.

Thanks zed1015.  Would it be accurate to assume the weld shown in the image below could only be performed with the crank disassembled?

I can't imagine how this weld could be done accurately if the crank was not disassembled, considering the space between webs/counterweights is 1.0625" and the distance in from their edge is approvimately 2" to the weld center.

Besides the significant access constraint, wouldn't the intense heat generated during the welding process have detremental affects on the rod needle-bearings?

1982 KZ1100-A2

Attachments:

Last edit: by daveo.

Crankshaft Welding 27 Apr 2023 08:45 #883837

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2690
My friend Jeff brought up a good point when he was looking at my 903 crank to consider welding it. He said any weld would add weight to that section though very small at high revs it would be multiplied greatly possibly causing failure of some components. It was agreed it has to be welded piece by piece as it is reassembled. That makes me wonder if this one was that way. 
Steve

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: daveo

Crankshaft Welding 27 Apr 2023 18:23 #883868

• Nebr_Rex
  • User
  • Thank you received: 299

Like to expand on my previous crankshaft assembly post, with emphasis on the welding work... 
Link below:
kzrider.com/forum/2-engine/618672-cranks...tion?start=12#881849

I recently acquired this ZX1100A crankshaft off ebay, where I spotted it three auction cycles before placing a bid...and nobody else did. 
It apparently received a lot of attention around the time my oldest son was blowing out diapers in the late 1980's or so.  The weld quality looks pretty good to my untrained eye.  

I am seeking member input relative to the welding process, skill level needed, and the time it would take to produce a weld like this:

The process is TIG, those welds were sweated in using very little filler rod if any. You can tell by the 'fish eye' left at the end of the weld. A good welder can finish the bead with virtually no fish eye. It would take maybe 10 minutes to complete those two welds.

2002 ZRX1200R
81 GPz1100
79 KZ1000st daily ride
79 KZ1000mk2 prodject
78 KZ650sr
78 KZ650b
81 KZ750e
80 KZ750ltd
77 KZ400/440 cafe project
76 KZ400/440 Fuel Injected

www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39120.0

The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism, daveo, SWest, howardhb

• Page: