Motor Oil Mixture

• daveo
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
28 Jun 2022 19:20 - 28 Jun 2022 20:05 #869509 by daveo
Motor Oil Mixture was created by daveo
Not sure what other folks may think about this, but I made a personal discovery over the past weekend that has me dumbfounded.

When I was desperate for a ride and realized the engine needed some oil added, I pulled this bottle of Valvoline synthetic from my stash and carefully poured it in the crankcase where it mixed with about three qts of Shell T4 Rotella.

Then I went for my ride...

I can not believe the effects this has had on my engine.
The engine operates quieter and smoother.  Shifting gears is easier and smoother as well, and the clutch engagement is all round better.

The Rotella had about 1300 miles on it prior, and I believe adding the Valvoline actually improved the oil viscosity and oil life expectancy.
...and I've added a couple hundred miles to that since.

Just wanted to share this and see what feedback it might generate:

1982 KZ1100-A2

• Last edit: 28 Jun 2022 20:05 by daveo.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
    28 Jun 2022 20:23 #869512 by Nebr_Rex
    Replied by Nebr_Rex on topic Motor Oil Mixture
    Two points.
      1] One is engineered for a big truck [ which I do use in both of my pickups ] and the other for a motorcycle.
      2] One is synthetic and the other is not.
      Another thing it's the additives that wear out not the base oil.
      And another is that synthetic is not supose to  turn to blue smoke out the tail pipe but will find the smallest hole to leak from.

2002 ZRX1200R
    81 GPz1100
    79 KZ1000st daily ride
    79 KZ1000mk2 prodject
    78 KZ650sr
    78 KZ650b
    81 KZ750e
    80 KZ750ltd
    77 KZ400/440 cafe project
    76 KZ400/440 Fuel Injected

www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39120.0

The following user(s) said Thank You: daveo

More
    28 Jun 2022 23:58 #869517 by kevski
    Replied by kevski on topic Motor Oil Mixture
    For the life of me i cannot understand why folks put car and truck oil in their bikes, modern motor oils have friction modifiers and all other sorts of stuff in them which can be a pain on wet clutches, bike specific does not have the same friction modifiers, i know back in the day we just used motor oil and it was fine because it did not have the additives, strange how some have to be dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century.

More
    29 Jun 2022 07:15 #869532 by 650ed
    Replied by 650ed on topic Motor Oil Mixture

For the life of me i cannot understand why folks put car and truck oil in their bikes, modern motor oils have friction modifiers and all other sorts of stuff in them which can be a pain on wet clutches, bike specific does not have the same friction modifiers, i know back in the day we just used motor oil and it was fine because it did not have the additives, strange how some have to be dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century.

Some (not all) truck/car motor oils are JASO-MA compliant.  As an example, take a look at the label on the back of the Shell Rotella oils.  Ed

bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/rotell...-jaso-ma-ma2.281543/

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
    29 Jun 2022 12:06 #869546 by kevski
    Replied by kevski on topic Motor Oil Mixture

Some (not all) truck/car motor oils are JASO-MA compliant.  As an example, take a look at the label on the back of the Shell Rotella oils.  Ed

bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/rotell...-jaso-ma-ma2.281543/

Yes, but you and i already know that, it seems this is something that is forever coming up, hence why i always say buy motorcycle specific  because some just cannot be bothered to actually research.

More
    29 Jun 2022 14:00 #869551 by ckahleer
    Replied by ckahleer on topic Motor Oil Mixture
    I have done a lot of research on oils and have come to the conclusion ignorance is blis.
    MA rated oil has high zinc levels for added cam and rocker protection on older bikes. MA2 oil has lower zinc levels to protect O2 sensors and catalitic converters on newer bikes.
    I have old bikes. I want MA rated oil for my bikes. Yet most motorcycle specific oils are rated MA/MA2. There is no way they can be both.
    Oh no. It's happening again. Must stop thinking oil.

94 KE100
    81 CM200t
    82 KZ305
    85 VF1100c

More
    29 Jun 2022 15:44 #869561 by Nessism
    Replied by Nessism on topic Motor Oil Mixture

For the life of ME, I don't understand why bike guys waste money on motorcycle oil, which is needlessly expensive. I use diesel engine oil, and have for more than 15 years in my bikes, and I've never had a slipping clutch or any other negative issue.  And I also do not go out of my way to buy MA certified diesel oil either.  No need.
    The following user(s) said Thank You: daveo, SWest

• SWest
    • Sustaining Member
    • 10 22 2014
    More
    29 Jun 2022 17:30 #869573 by SWest
    Replied by SWest on topic Motor Oil Mixture
    I always used Castrol GTX 20/50 in all my machines. Switched to Rotilla 15/40 on advice here. It's much cheaper and no sludge like with the GTX. 
    Steve

• Street Fighter LTD
    • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
    More
    29 Jun 2022 18:16 #869578 by Street Fighter LTD
    Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Motor Oil Mixture

I always used Castrol GTX 20/50 in all my machines. Switched to Rotilla 15/40 on advice here. It's much cheaper and no sludge like with the GTX. 
    Steve

Yea Steve
    Castrol 20/50 GTX was the hot ticket  for many , many years
    Then they F   ked  it all up to run in modern cars
    Oh well  , Shell Rotella   works just fine 

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
    Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
    The following user(s) said Thank You: daveo, SWest

More
    29 Jun 2022 19:31 #869588 by Nessism
    Replied by Nessism on topic Motor Oil Mixture

I have done a lot of research on oils and have come to the conclusion ignorance is blis.
    MA rated oil has high zinc levels for added cam and rocker protection on older bikes. MA2 oil has lower zinc levels to protect O2 sensors and catalitic converters on newer bikes.
    I have old bikes. I want MA rated oil for my bikes. Yet most motorcycle specific oils are rated MA/MA2. There is no way they can be both.
    Oh no. It's happening again. Must stop thinking oil.
    ZDDP has drastically dropped over the years.  Reason being, it damages catalytic converters.  This applies for auto, diesel, and motorcycle blend oils.  Taken on face value, some might think this is bad for our old bikes, but truthfully, modern oils protect pretty darn well, so don't worry too much.

More
    30 Jun 2022 01:44 #869598 by Ian_B
    Replied by Ian_B on topic Motor Oil Mixture
    How about Shell Rotella T6? Full synthetic, JASO compliant, and I haven't seen a bad review of the stuff.

Lubricants have improved massively over the past 30 years. We're really lucky to have the modern ones. I'm not sure if "additives wear out" - especially as motorcycle oil tends to get changed frequently when compared to industrial engines (I've worked on industrial machines where we never changed oil, only filters, topped the oil up, did oil analysis - all good)

Ian

• hardrockminer
    • Sustaining Member
    More
    30 Jun 2022 04:31 #869600 by hardrockminer
    Replied by hardrockminer on topic Motor Oil Mixture
    There are plenty of good websites to get a technical understanding of motor oils.  Anyone with questions should do a little research.

The biggest issue with bikes is lubrication for wet clutches because new oils have too much lubricity for them unless they are M or Jaso rated.  That's not to say you cannot use them, but if you do, and you have a slipping clutch it's likely the oil causing the problem.  I used Castrol 10W40 for years but about a year ago I switched to 15W40 Rotella because it's correctly rated and much cheaper.

I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.