Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Low compression 15 May 2022 10:50 #867128

• zed1015
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1456

Isn't it true that the piston crown height is lower on an aftermarket piston to allow for planing the head?
NO! 
And unless otherwise stated all quoted compression figures are based on a zero deck height which only takes into account stock head gasket thickness,stock combustion chamber volume and piston crown volume.
For every 0.5mm of negative deck height at tdc you will have an approximate rounded average compression drop of 1 point ..
AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by zed1015.

Low compression 18 May 2022 09:08 #867256

• gtrain
  • gtrain's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi thanks for the comments.
the debris around the top of the piston is just pieces of the old gasket I scraped off which I haven't cleaned up yet.
When I carried out the compression test the engine was cold and throttle was closed.
I've included a picture of the 2 compression gauges which I used and base gasket and the new copper head gaskets which I'm going to useI remove the barrels the checked rings pistons and bores all good

Attachments:

Low compression 18 May 2022 09:27 #867257

• TexasKZ
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2050
A cold engine with closed throttle will give low readings. A long hose with the check valve on the gauge will add a bit to the lowness.

To get the most accurate readings, the engine needs to be at operating temperature, the throttle must be held wide open or the carburetors removed, and the check valve should be as close to the combustion chamber as possible. A reliable gauge is also a plus.

If that green base gasket is from Athena, I would donate it to a local land fill and buy a good one.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Last edit: by TexasKZ.

Low compression 18 May 2022 10:07 #867259

• zed1015
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1456
With that copper head gasket.
If you don't already know..
From new they are work hardened from the stamping process.
Heat it cherry to anneal and quench in water to flash off the oxides.
Dry off and hang on a wire from one corner .
Then spray several light coats of Loctite 3020 leaving time to dry slightly between coats until you get an even solid pink colour.
Let it tack off overnight before fitting..
Done this way you have a vastly reduced chance of oil weepage etc that's normally associated with copper gaskets.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

The following user(s) said Thank You: Mikaw

Last edit: by zed1015.

Low compression 18 May 2022 17:44 #867284

• blipco
  • User
  • 2002 KZ1000P
  • Thank you received: 223
Of those compression tester you've shown I would use the rubber push-on type if the Schrader valve is up at the gauge.
But as another poster has mentioned, your problem may be elsewhere. I would definitely go over all my steps before I opened the engine up again.
"Swim against the current, even a dead fish can go with the flow"-somebody (I forget Who)

• Page: