Suzuki exhaust gasket?

• gordone
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
24 Jan 2022 10:05 #860998 by gordone
Replied by gordone on topic Suzuki exhaust gasket?
When I installed the system last time it was no problem with copper exhaust gasket, so I consider using it these time also, so avoid any dimmension problem...
www.z1enterprises.com/copper-exhaust-gas...-H2+750+LTD-4%2F1981

I`have seen other members recommend to use Suzuki gasket since they was thinker, so I belive the size was not any issue.

1981 KZ650-D4, with 1981 z750L engine (Wiensco 810 big bore).

Project:
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/607213...sr-1981-z750l-engine

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
24 Jan 2022 10:18 #861000 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Suzuki exhaust gasket?
They worked on mine but fell apart when I removed the exhaust. They also leaked causing a pop at idle due to sucking air. I bought a new set befor I noticed it. I won't buy them again. 
Steve

• gordone
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
24 Jan 2022 11:13 #861006 by gordone
So the advise is to go with OEM gasket ?

Project:

More
24 Jan 2022 11:23 - 24 Jan 2022 13:12 #861010 by daveo
Replied by daveo on topic Suzuki exhaust gasket?
I think the trick with the Suzuki style gasket is to snug the exhaust down tight when first installed.  This method crushes the gasket coil into final shape before exhaust pressure has an opportunity to blow it apart.
That is my observation, having used them with my V& H header with no leakage, though I have never attempted to reuse them for doubting a successful result.

1982 KZ1100-A2

Last edit: 24 Jan 2022 13:12 by daveo.

More
24 Jan 2022 13:10 - 24 Jan 2022 13:11 #861019 by daveo

So the advise is to go with OEM gasket ?

I prefer the Suzuki type over the copper crush washer for use with my V&H header due to the imprecise angle fit against the exhaust opening, I believe the Suzuki type provides a better seal due to it's greater thickness. 

With the ensured fit of an oem Kawasaki exhaust system I would likely use the oem copper crush gaskets.

1982 KZ1100-A2

Last edit: 24 Jan 2022 13:11 by daveo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gordone

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
More
24 Jan 2022 16:27 #861032 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Suzuki exhaust gasket?

With the ensured fit of an oem Kawasaki exhaust system I would likely use the oem copper crush gaskets.

My 750 with stock exhaust system and new OEM Kawasaki copper gasket rings leaked.  They were too thin.  When installing a system I install it loose, making sure all the bolts are installed, then I pull the header pipes into the head and seat them, before moving rearward and tightening things up from there.  Didn't work.  I had to pull everything back off and cut out a 2nd gasket from header gasket material.  Talk about a pain.  That material is an asbestos like material encasing a stainless steel mesh.  If I had two Kawasaki gaskets I would have used those instead.  I've rebuilt a handful of Suzuki GS bikes and those seals are superior in my experience.
The following user(s) said Thank You: daveo, gordone

More
24 Jan 2022 16:53 - 24 Jan 2022 17:21 #861034 by daveo

My 750 with stock exhaust system and new OEM Kawasaki copper gasket rings leaked.  They were too thin.  When installing a system I install it loose, making sure all the bolts are installed, then I pull the header pipes into the head and seat them, before moving rearward and tightening things up from there.  Didn't work.  I had to pull everything back off and cut out a 2nd gasket from header gasket material.  Talk about a pain.  That material is an asbestos like material encasing a stainless steel mesh.  If I had two Kawasaki gaskets I would have used those instead.  I've rebuilt a handful of Suzuki GS bikes and those seals are superior in my experience.

Well, there you go!  Since I don't use them now they apparently didn't work very well ten years ago.
Hmmm, I do have a couple bulk packs of copper gaskets hoarding box space, now that I think about it.

1982 KZ1100-A2

• Last edit: 24 Jan 2022 17:21 by daveo.

More
    24 Jan 2022 20:12 - 24 Jan 2022 20:12 #861041 by 750 R1
    Replied by 750 R1 on topic Suzuki exhaust gasket?
    When I put the 4 into 1 on my sons 650, I cleaned the old crushed gaskets and put them back in, I then put a new Kawasaki set in front of them, no leaks ....  I've seen this done before and it works well....
    Last edit: 24 Jan 2022 20:12 by 750 R1.
    The following user(s) said Thank You: daveo

• gordone
    • Topic Author
    • Sustaining Member
    More
    24 Jan 2022 23:24 #861046 by gordone

I understand, properly your experience I have read on the forum some years ago :)
    But you always using OEM Suzuki gasket ? I assume I should be able to use the same as you ? what part number has the gasket you are using, so I get the correct size... ?

I was sucessfull installation the same exhaust system with kawasaki gasket last time, maybe I just was lucky :)

Project: