Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

PMC Easy Clutch 17 Dec 2021 18:27 #859241

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2680
When the cable goes limp what do you find?  Has the PMC actuator jumped over the ramp?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Darmah

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

PMC Easy Clutch 17 Dec 2021 21:15 #859243

• Darmah
  • Darmah's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
I dont know what happened today. But the b*st**d thing is working fine. I did squirt a fair bit of grease under the ball bearing holder and more on top before putting the actuator arm back in. I also pulled the pushrod half way out and made sure it was going into the hole in the actuator as I pushed the cover back on. I pulled that clutch lever in at least 30 times with no problem.. Once I have the  front brake caliper back on. (Thats a whole other new problem). I'll go out for a ride and see how it goes. 

PMC Easy Clutch 18 Dec 2021 05:34 #859252

• Move0ver
  • User
  • Thank you received: 56
I thoroughly greased the bearing assembly when I installed mine. 

I might have missed it, but did you pack it with grease when you installed yours?

Last edit: by Move0ver.

PMC Easy Clutch 18 Dec 2021 07:53 #859257

• Mikaw
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1864
I hate to be a Debbie downer here but you might not be out of the woods yet. Possibly all you have done is filled a dry clearance that was excessive between the clutch cover and actuator with grease. It’s possible once that grease is disbursed or gets warm and thins out your problem may return. Just be very careful I can only imagine how difficult it would be to stop and control a motorcycle without having a fully functioning clutch. If packing the assembly full of grease is not mentioned in the instructions you may have just hidden the problem. 
1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.

Last edit: by Mikaw.

PMC Easy Clutch 18 Dec 2021 08:42 #859258

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2680
Grease is too thin to fill a gap and space parts apart.  I suspect there was something going on with the fitment of the cable, actuator piece, or pushrod, which it seems is fixed.  Fingers crossed anyway.

PMC Easy Clutch 18 Dec 2021 08:59 #859260

• Mikaw
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1864

Grease is too thin to fill a gap and space parts apart.  I suspect there was something going on with the fitment of the cable, actuator piece, or pushrod, which it seems is fixed.  Fingers crossed anyway.
Hopefully he has fixed it permanently. I was just basing my comment on past experiences. 30+ years ago when we needed to replace a pilot bushing in the rear of a crankshaft on a four-speed assembly you would pack the void of the pilot bearing full of grease insert a used transmission input shaft and whacked the living crap out of the shaft with a mallet and hydraulic pressure from the grease would press the pilot bushing out. I assume it all depends on how much grease was packed into the assembly. I’m just saying be very cautious very few times does grease cover up a clearance issue. My other thought was when the cup had the arm attached it was indexed slightly out of phase before assembly.
1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.

PMC Easy Clutch 18 Dec 2021 09:13 #859263

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2629

The clutch lever and its holder are all factory. Yes. No matter if I have 1/8" freeplay or an inch with minimum travel of the pushrod. It lets go. I did notice that the Bearing Holder doesnt sit square to flat bit in the gold main body and its only just being held in place. I wonder if thats got something to do with the problem?   

Looks to me the push rod was off enter and not contacting the adjustment screw. How much slop is in the output shaft bearing cap?
Steve

PMC Easy Clutch 18 Dec 2021 15:12 #859282

• Darmah
  • User
MoveOver. I only put a light smear of greas under the bearing holder and on top, after putting it in. But this time I gave it 3-4 shots from the grease gun under and over.
SWest. The pushrod doesn't make contact with the adjustment screw at all. There is another bit that fits into the main holder that the pushrod fits into. The marks you can see are manufacturing spot welds.
I hope I've got it sorted now. I was one step from throwing it in. Just hope that next time I'm in there, I dont have problems with it. I guess I'll be carrying around the factory actuator and rod for a while.

PMC Easy Clutch 18 Dec 2021 16:49 #859284

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member
  • Those Doe-Hawks really go!
  • Thank you received: 506
So after all that headache, does it actually make the clutch noticably easier to pull?  :)
'78 Z1-R in blue , '78 Z1-R in black, '78 Z1-R in pieces
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100

PMC Easy Clutch 18 Dec 2021 19:56 #859286

• Darmah
  • User
Yes it does. I'd say maybe 40-50% lighter. My hand  will thank me, I'm sure.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DOHC

PMC Easy Clutch 19 Dec 2021 06:57 #859296

• Rick H.
  • User
  • Thank you received: 254
I have been away from this topic for a few weeks and it sounds like it has been solved.  Almost 2 years ago there was a discussion about the E-Zee clutch when I installed mine in my '77 KZ-1000.  Part of my initial problem was that the instructions were written in Japanese, so I tried to just use the supplied pictures as a guide which didn't work very well.  I finally located an app that would translate the instructions into English but even that was lacking somewhat.  Eventually through trial and error I managed to get the PMC kit installed and haven't had any problems with it in close to 2 years.  In fact, it works great and I would agree that the clutch lever effort has been reduced by about 40% give or take.  I took a couple of pics to show the relative relationship of the parts before installing the cover in case I need to go at this again.  I also took a pic of the cover showing the boss that needed to be removed/ ground off for cable clearance.  I didn't do this at first as I didn't want to change or damage the cover in any way, but I encountered problems until I clearanced the cable.  It may be after the fact but the pictures are included.
Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: DOHC, Darmah

PMC Easy Clutch 19 Dec 2021 12:09 #859312

• Darmah
  • User
Thank you Rick. I really should check and see if my cable is too close to that boss. But I'm a bit worried I'll end up with the old problem again.  But it could save a whole lot of heartache if I do. Cheers