Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Troubles in the engine/adjustment part.. 14 Oct 2021 08:58 #856635

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1895
I bet you shortcut the coil 2+3 power line to ground.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Troubles in the engine/adjustment part.. 14 Oct 2021 09:04 #856636

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member
  • Those Doe-Hawks really go!
  • Thank you received: 503

Had a few sec today to pull the tank, ignition coils and plugs. Tried a spark test again, and still no spark on 3+4 while 1+2 are firing.. Coil one is connected to cilinder 1+4 and the second coil to 2+3. All plugs are black, and a bit greasy, are only 50km's old. Gas is coming in. Had the engine running on 2 cilinders and on full throttle you can see gas going in al 4 cilinders. I am stuck here
It sounds to me like your plugs are fouled.  I would install a set of 4 brand new plugs and see if that works.

If one coil goes to cylinders 1+4, both plugs 1 and 4 must fire together.  If 1 is firing and 4 isn't, that is probably because plug 4 is bad.

Also, "All plugs are black, and a bit greasy" sounds like a set of fouled spark plugs.
'78 Z1-R in blue , '78 Z1-R in black, '78 Z1-R in pieces
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100

Troubles in the engine/adjustment part.. 14 Oct 2021 09:09 #856637

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member
I also want to mention again that I think you're wasting your time trying to get this single-pickup ignition system to work. 

If you have the stock coils, they are not going to work with this ignition.  They are not designed to be fired at double speed.  Also, the custom and unknown nature of this system is just going to cause you frustration and headache.  

My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100

Troubles in the engine/adjustment part.. 14 Oct 2021 11:56 #856641

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2051

I also want to mention again that I think you're wasting your time trying to get this single-pickup ignition system to work. 

If you have the stock coils, they are not going to work with this ignition.  They are not designed to be fired at double speed.  Also, the custom and unknown nature of this system is just going to cause you frustration and headache.  

+1
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Troubles in the engine/adjustment part.. 15 Oct 2021 03:11 #856663

• RobertvdBerg
  • RobertvdBerg's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Plugs are fine, swapped them around, and in te plug caps 1&2 alle plugs fire properly, also tried new spark wires, didn't work as well..

Still trying to understand the insulator/screw story. Will re-read it when I'm next to the bike

Troubles in the engine/adjustment part.. 15 Oct 2021 03:13 #856664

• RobertvdBerg
  • User
That was also my thought. But I have been looking for a good replacement ignition, without the manual spark advance piece. Is there a ignition set-up with digital spark advance?

And is it (with maybe a strobe or what so ever) possible to set the timing on my own? 

Troubles in the engine/adjustment part.. 15 Oct 2021 07:13 #856669

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
I think the Dyna S is the most popular replacement, but it uses the stock advance. For digital advance, the Dyna 2000 is the only one I know of.

www.dynaonline.com/parts/kawasaki/kz1000a-j/1979/

Last edit: by TexasKZ.

Troubles in the engine/adjustment part.. 15 Oct 2021 07:18 #856671

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member

Still trying to understand the insulator/screw story. Will re-read it when I'm next to the bike
His point is that there are several washers, spacers and insulators on each set of points. They must all be present and installed in the correct order, or the points can ground when they are not supposed to, causing erratic or failed coil charging.

Troubles in the engine/adjustment part.. 15 Oct 2021 07:43 #856672

• RobertvdBerg
  • User
Thanks for al your information!

I have started deleting the old ignition. I am just a few steps of from completing this.
Pics are added for your info!

There is a red/yellow wire going in to the loom, what does it do?

There is a big aluminum box on the right side, quoting ignition amplifier, can I trash this?

There was a weird white cube in the same tyraps ad the ignition wiring, what is this?

Thanks again guys!
Attachments:

Troubles in the engine/adjustment part.. 15 Oct 2021 07:44 #856673

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member

Is there a ignition set-up with digital spark advance?

Personally, I would stick with the Dyna S with the original mechanical advancer.  It works fine.

However, as TexasKZ mentioned, Dynatek does make a fully digital ignition.  It includes a set of built in ignition curves, as well as the ability to program custom curves. 
It is the only kit that I'm aware of that is designed to fit the KZ1000 and will just bolt on directly without any effort on your part to invent or customize anything.
It is intended to be used with coils with lower resistance than the stock coils, so you would probably need to get the full kit with replacement coils.  DDK2-1C
www.dynaonline.com/dyna-2000-digital-pef...0-1000-1100-ddk2-1c/

Another option I've heard of is the Power Arc Ignition.  I have no experience with one myself, and I don't think they have a kit designed for the KZ1000.  So you'd have to figure out how to customize it to fit.  But it does claim to have the ability to program custom advance curves.
www.powerarc.com/

Another option would be to make your own, if you really wanted to invest a lot of time in building a custom ignition.  You could use one of the DIY fuel injection modules as the digital controller, something like the megasquirt of the microsquirt.  If you added a throttle position sensor, you could have a 3D ignition map like the Kawasaki K-TRIC system.
www.diyautotune.com/shop/megasquirt-assembled/microsquirt/

If I were to do this, I would use a crank trigger from Dynatek.  The Dyna 2000 crank trigger would work, or the Dyna III or Dyna S trigger plate with a fixed rotor in place of the mechanical advancer.  If the FI ECU you select doesn't have a built in igniter, you can make one from a GM HEI igniter or use the igniter box from a Dyna III. 

Unless you're running a turbo or nitrous or very high compression, I don't think you would see any real performance increase from a digital ignition.  Plus to generate a custom advance curve that was better than the stock one you would need a fair amount of dyno time to tune it.  It seem like a lot of money and effort when a Dyna S will provide basically the same performance with very little effort.
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100

Troubles in the engine/adjustment part.. 15 Oct 2021 07:50 #856675

• RobertvdBerg
  • User
It was more just me thinking all this ignition problems, I just eliminate every component that could be faulty, but the way you are telling me, digital spark advance is a extremely expensive and complicated thing. So I'll let this go. Just want the bike to run good, and properly. That's it. 

Troubles in the engine/adjustment part.. 15 Oct 2021 08:22 #856676

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member

also tried new spark wires, didn't work as well..

Can you post a photo of your coils?  The original coils don't have replaceable wires, so I'm curious what yours look like.
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100