camshaft gears, idlers - condition check

More
18 May 2021 11:34 #848691 by katit
Have dilemma on what to replace (if replace).
Last pieces for reassembly. I pulled those pieces from 2 engines. Measures all sprockets, one engine is much better.

I read tons of topics on replacing rubber with metal, etc.

All those parts look good to me. The only pieces I am little concerned with 

#1. Rubber disk. Is this replaceable? Should it be? Rubber not crumbling or anything
#5. Has some crumbling in a ridge. How bad it is?
#6. Blocks. I know I can make them solid metal, what size should they be?

Gears with rubber look perfectly fine to me. What kind of failure (if there going to be) I can expect? I just don't feel like replacing all this stuff right now

78 KZ650B2A - resto in progress
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/615161...s-1978-kz650-project
Other bikes: 1978 BMW R100/7, 1978 Moto Guzzi T3, 2016 DRZ400s
  • Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
    18 May 2021 12:21 #848694 by zed1015
    Replied by zed1015 on topic camshaft gears, idlers - condition check
    You should at least replace the rubbers, 1, 5 and 6.
    The idler wheel rubber centres also go hard and collapse and it's pot luck how long they are going to last if you re-use them.
    The compressed height of the rubber blocks is limited by the length of the steel dowel inserts so it easy to calculate the height of any aluminium ones you make.
    Just remember to add the the thickness of the steel plates to the final measurements as they won't be needed with solid blocks.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
    kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
    18 May 2021 12:28 #848695 by katit
    Replied by katit on topic camshaft gears, idlers - condition check

The idler wheel rubber centres also go hard and collapse and it's pot luck how long they are going to last if you re-use them.
    The compressed height of the rubber blocks is limited by the length of the steel dowel inserts so it easy to calculate the height of any aluminium ones you make.
    Just remember to add the the thickness of the steel plates to the final measurements as they won't be needed with solid blocks.

Thank you! Than next questions. Is #1 available somewhere separately without bracket? Or do you have DIY for those? (I know about sprockets, read a lot :) )
    For #6 my question now is if I use alum blocks, then why do I need 4? I don't need dowels and I don't need top ones. Just use shorter bolts and 2 blocks on a bottom to maintain height. Amy I not understanding something? 

More
    18 May 2021 12:41 #848696 by zed1015

Thank you! Than next questions. Is #1 available somewhere separately without bracket? Or do you have DIY for those? (I know about sprockets, read a lot :) )
    For #6 my question now is if I use alum blocks, then why do I need 4? I don't need dowels and I don't need top ones. Just use shorter bolts and 2 blocks on a bottom to maintain height. Amy I not understanding something? 

The roller on 1 is not available separate so you have to buy complete or convert that bracket to take to a sprocket.
    Aluminium blocks could be just one short one each side .
    The holes in the idler bracket are larger than the 6mm bolts to accommodate the larger diameter dowels so you will need to account for that so the bracket cannot move around.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS

More
    18 May 2021 12:48 #848697 by katit

The roller on 1 is not available separate so you have to buy complete or convert that bracket to take to a sprocket.
    Aluminium blocks could be just one short one each side .
    The holes in the idler bracket are larger than the 6mm bolts to accommodate the larger diameter dowels so you will need to account for that so the bracket cannot move around.

Any hints on #1 conversion? What sprocket would it take? Is it same as #2-3? I have couple extras. Any DIY?

For blocks and hole sizes - got it. I can shorten those dowels as well and make them go through alum blocks sitting just proud so they center bracket.

• Scirocco
    • Premium Member
    • Never change a running system
    More
    18 May 2021 13:28 #848699 by Scirocco
    Replied by Scirocco on topic camshaft gears, idlers - condition check

Any hints on #1 conversion? What sprocket would it take? Is it same as #2-3? I have couple extras. Any DIY?

The chain sprockets have all the same chain link pattern and diameter and are interchangeable....

More
    18 May 2021 13:56 #848701 by katit

The chain sprockets have all the same chain link pattern and diameter and are interchangeable....
    We were talking about replacing rubber wheel #1 with sprocket. Does not look like #1 and #2 the same size. Wheel looks slightly larger.

More
    18 May 2021 14:20 #848702 by zed1015
    The Z650 tensioner bracket will take an idler sprocket.
    The attached pic shows the middle stock 650 with rubber roller and then far right with a sprocket.
    These i modify to fit the Z900/1000 as the stock 900/1000 bracket far left is smaller and won't accept a sprocket.

• The following user(s) said Thank You: katit

More
    18 May 2021 14:23 #848703 by katit
    But looks like diameter of chain line will be greater with wheel vs sprocket. Isn't it a problem?
    And what axle/shaft do you use when converting to sprocket?

More
    18 May 2021 14:33 #848704 by gazzz
    Replied by gazzz on topic camshaft gears, idlers - condition check
    Liska Racing could provide parts you need:

www.liskas.com/kz650-cam-chain-idlers-tensioners/

And they are the only ones who make replacements for  larger (lower or #5 in your list) roller.

Don't forget to buy new shafts for new rollers.

I bought PMC sprockets from Japan Webike but only due to reasons of orders optimization (shipping fee to Ukraine, custom duties, etc.)

www.gazzz-garage.com/2020/09/24/kawasaki...ension-system-again/

www.gazzz-garage.com/2019/04/12/kawasaki...hain-tension-system/

www.gazzz-garage.com/2019/06/14/kawasaki...hopping-post-part-7/

Kawasaki KZ650 cafe-racer: in progress

Kawasaki Zephyr 750 (810ccm, 4in4, spoked wheels)
    Honda CB815 "Eight Fifteen" cafe-racer
    Yamaha XJ "Eight Ball" cafe-racer

www.gazzz-garage.com
    The following user(s) said Thank You: katit

More
    18 May 2021 15:01 #848705 by katit

And they are the only ones who make replacements for  larger (lower or #5 in your list) roller.

Don't forget to buy new shafts for new rollers.

I think I will buy big rubber wheel from Liska, but there is a lot of money in all of those parts! Shafts look pretty good (and measure too) - don't see reason to replace them. I do replace a lot of parts in engine, but there should be a stop somewhere. Those sprockets I will restore myself if needed. 

Right now my thinking is if it won't do damage (rattle is fine) - I won't touch it. Cylinders/pistons will be left alone. So, anything on "top" will be checked and reassembled without throwing money at it. Head will be done by shop with new guides and valves. Pistons, cylinders, rings, camshafts all will be kept, they all within factory good service ranges.

• SWest
    • Sustaining Member
    • 10 22 2014
    More
    18 May 2021 15:52 #848708 by SWest
    Replied by SWest on topic camshaft gears, idlers - condition check
    If you break a cam chain you'll wish you bought the Liska's.
    Steve