Z1R Camshaft End cap bulge.

More
04 Jul 2020 06:09 #829736 by Rick H.
Replied by Rick H. on topic Z1R Camshaft End cap bulge.
Perhaps his problem is with the cam end plugs themselves. Are they installed correctly? Did he replace the old ones, or re-use them? He doesn't say, only that he replaced the gasket. If he did replace them did he use OEM or some inferior product that expands when hot and looks like it's bulging? Hard to say with no more info. I think you would need some serious pressure to get quality plugs to bulge in appearance no doubt if that happened they would blow out of the head.

Rick H.

Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
04 Jul 2020 07:51 #829747 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Z1R Camshaft End cap bulge.
Original post has NOT been followed up .
Im going to drop this from my interest until we get the feedback needed to assist this member

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
The following user(s) said Thank You: 650ed

• 1980 Z1R D3
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • A young gun with a taste for two-wheeled fun!
More
19 Jul 2020 16:02 - 19 Jul 2020 16:03 #831010 by 1980 Z1R D3
Replied by 1980 Z1R D3 on topic Z1R Camshaft End cap bulge.
Hi guys, sorry for not following up, I got pulled away from the bike project by complete kitchen remodel at our summer home. Now that that's done, we can get back to it. Ill try to answer all the follow up questions you guys asked, and I really do appreciate all the help.
Oil type for that oil change. 10W40 Valvoline motorcycle oil purchased at autozone
Double checked the crankcase breather and the hose itself both are clear and functioning. Tested the breather by starting the bike and putting my finger on the hole, and felt the little pulses of air.
As to the plugs themselves I have no idea whether they're OEM or not, they do only seem to have an outside lip and not an inside one. There is some evidence that the valve cover was taken off previously, so they couldve installed new end plugs at that time. They also used a lot of nasty gasket sealer, gross, which seems to indicate that it leaked before. We bought billet aluminum plugs online that were going to use to replace the leaky ones. My personal theory is that the old plugs were somehow weakened by age, and started bulging and leaking out the bottom. The rest of the leaks are probably just due to the fact that the bike sat for nearly 30 years.
Thanks again guys

1980 Z1R D3
Last edit: 19 Jul 2020 16:03 by 1980 Z1R D3.

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
19 Jul 2020 16:32 #831012 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Z1R Camshaft End cap bulge.
Let us know how the new plugs work out for you
I use a little Gasketcinch under my aluminum plugs
Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

• 1980 Z1R D3
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
19 Jul 2020 16:36 #831013 by 1980 Z1R D3
Will do, Ive got hondabond to put under the plugs. Now I've got to sort out all the other leaks, this is my first bike and im dying to learn how to ride it but it takes a lot of work to undo 28 years of neglect.
Colin

1980 Z1R D3

More
19 Jul 2020 17:00 #831014 by VTEC
Replied by VTEC on topic Z1R Camshaft End cap bulge.

1980 Z1R D3 wrote: Will do, Ive got hondabond to put under the plugs. Now I've got to sort out all the other leaks, this is my first bike and im dying to learn how to ride it but it takes a lot of work to undo 28 years of neglect.
Colin

Can't go wrong with Hondabond. I use it every day at work.

KZ1000-K2
ZRX1100
XR400R

• 1980 Z1R D3
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
30 Jul 2020 07:59 #831863 by 1980 Z1R D3
Update: the Hondabond in combination with billet aluminum end caps from johnny's vintage motorcycles in Ohio worked like a dream, no leaks, and changing the oil to hondas GN4 10w-40 solved most of our other leaks, thanks again guys.

1980 Z1R D3

More
30 Jul 2020 16:45 #831891 by VTEC
Replied by VTEC on topic Z1R Camshaft End cap bulge.

1980 Z1R D3 wrote: Update: the Hondabond in combination with billet aluminum end caps from johnny's vintage motorcycles in Ohio worked like a dream, no leaks, and changing the oil to hondas GN4 10w-40 solved most of our other leaks, thanks again guys.

Changing oil doesn't fix oil leaks.

KZ1000-K2
ZRX1100
XR400R