Z1R Camshaft End cap bulge.

• 1980 Z1R D3
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • A young gun with a taste for two-wheeled fun!
More
01 Jul 2020 15:00 - 01 Jul 2020 15:03 #829547 by 1980 Z1R D3
Z1R Camshaft End cap bulge. was created by 1980 Z1R D3
Hi guys, was looking to see if you guys had any insight on my situation, im quite puzzled.
Over the course of the restoration, we have fired the bike up on several different occasions to test things out, find more issues and tear it back down again to resolve them. . The most recent tear down involved taking off the engine cover to replace the gasket which was leaking quite a bit. Once we re-installed everything, and started the bike up, we encountered something that had not occurred before. The camshaft end caps bulged out nearly a cm once the bike was fully warmed up. They also leak out the bottom along where they meet the cylinder head. I have no reason to suspect that they've ever been replaced, so im not surprised by the leak, but its the bulging out that worries me, as it wasnt there before. It also seems as if oil is now coming out of nearly every gasket on the engine, and while the bike had its leaks during the earlier startups, they are now more numerous and more severe. I checked the crankcase breather which was working fine, thinking crankcase over pressure was the cause of the numerous leaks and bulging. Prior to my ownership the bike sat for nearly thirty years, so i get that most of the gaskets are probably long gone, but it just seemed odd and I wasnt sure if I was missing anything obvious. The sudden increase in number and severity of leaks, along with the bulging end caps has me concerned that I've done something wrong. Maybe I just didn't notice the bulge before but its pretty damn obvious so I doubt it. Please let me know what you think, any insight would be appreciated. The bike itself is stock besides a 4-1 exhaust and a oil cooler.
Thanks

1980 Z1R D3
Last edit: 01 Jul 2020 15:03 by 1980 Z1R D3.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jul 2020 17:27 #829560 by urankjj
Replied by urankjj on topic Z1R Camshaft End cap bulge.
Sounds like you should have a valve cover vent. I have a 77-kz1000A1 and it has a vent hole in the middle of the cover which is vented out the rear of the bike, via a fitting and tube. You may have the wrong valve (engine) cover.

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
01 Jul 2020 18:22 #829566 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Z1R Camshaft End cap bulge.
What oil are you using ?

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
01 Jul 2020 18:26 #829567 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Z1R Camshaft End cap bulge.

urankjj wrote: Sounds like you should have a valve cover vent. I have a 77-kz1000A1 and it has a vent hole in the middle of the cover which is vented out the rear of the bike, via a fitting and tube. You may have the wrong valve (engine) cover.

On a stock bike a working factory oil breather should be fine .
But here is a sample from my turbo b ike on how to vent a cam cover
Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
Attachments:

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
More
01 Jul 2020 18:41 #829569 by hardrockminer
Replied by hardrockminer on topic Z1R Camshaft End cap bulge.
It sounds to me like your oil return passages are blocked. Oil gets pumped up to the cams but doesn't seem to be returning to the sump.

I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

More
02 Jul 2020 08:05 #829597 by Rick H.
Replied by Rick H. on topic Z1R Camshaft End cap bulge.

urankjj wrote: Sounds like you should have a valve cover vent. I have a 77-kz1000A1 and it has a vent hole in the middle of the cover which is vented out the rear of the bike, via a fitting and tube. You may have the wrong valve (engine) cover.

I have a '77 KZ-1000A1 and I don't recall having a vent on the valve cover with a hose on it. I am going to have to take another look at mine.

Rick H.

Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
02 Jul 2020 08:24 #829600 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Z1R Camshaft End cap bulge.
You don't and it's not needed on a stock or mildly modified street bike.
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rick H.

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
02 Jul 2020 10:23 #829612 by Scirocco
Replied by Scirocco on topic Z1R Camshaft End cap bulge.

hardrockminer wrote:
It sounds to me like your oil return passages are blocked. Oil gets pumped up to the cams but doesn't seem to be returning to the sump.

There are no real oil return passages or ports. The oil pumped up to the cams flow back through the cam chain slot into the oil pan.

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
More
02 Jul 2020 14:47 #829631 by hardrockminer
Replied by hardrockminer on topic Z1R Camshaft End cap bulge.

Scirocco wrote:

hardrockminer wrote:

There are no real oil return passages or ports. The oil pumped up to the cams flow back through the cam chain slot into the oil pan.

Check a little more closely. Look in the valve ports and you will see how oil drains back to the cam chain slot. But on reflection....this would not cause a pressure buildup unless the cam chain slot itself was blocked.

I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

More
02 Jul 2020 15:12 #829634 by Mikaw
Replied by Mikaw on topic Z1R Camshaft End cap bulge.

1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.
Attachments:

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
02 Jul 2020 15:52 #829636 by Scirocco
Replied by Scirocco on topic Z1R Camshaft End cap bulge.
Please point me (us) to the passage how the oil drains back to the cam chain slot through the valve ports.

Attachments:

More
02 Jul 2020 17:03 #829643 by Mikaw
Replied by Mikaw on topic Z1R Camshaft End cap bulge.

1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.
Attachments: