camshaft chain tensioner tighten

More
03 May 2020 12:32 #824881 by Fox
Hello,

I'm looking for the good procedure for the automatic oem kz1000 ltd B1 cam chain tensioner :

How much do i must tighten the left screw please ?
Just by hand like here ? at 30.30 mn

Thank you
Fox

1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD
1977 kz1000-B1 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 May 2020 13:29 #824889 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic camshaft chain tensioner tighten
Yes! it's only a 6mm bolt so nip it up by hand and the same with the lock nut.
around 8 ft/lb max.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

The following user(s) said Thank You: Fox

More
03 May 2020 13:36 #824891 by Fox
Replied by Fox on topic camshaft chain tensioner tighten
What do you think of what i find on an other forum :

"Just loosen the bolt, and re-tighten it. Torque on the bolt is 35 -50 in-lbs. Then tighten the locknut."

1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD
1977 kz1000-B1 LTD

More
03 May 2020 13:45 #824893 by Fox
Ok let's go for a stupid question :

Is this automatic tensioner

-"automatic when we ride" (so the spring will move himself over time to remove the slack )
-"automatic when we adjust it" ( (so the spring won't move anymore ones in place by me )

1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD
1977 kz1000-B1 LTD

More
03 May 2020 13:56 #824894 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic camshaft chain tensioner tighten
It's not automatic so only moves when the bolt is loosened.
50 in/lbs is around 4 ft/lb.
8 ft/lb is the typical max torque for an M6 bolt.
I never torque them and just nip them by hand .

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

The following user(s) said Thank You: Fox

More
03 May 2020 14:10 #824897 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic camshaft chain tensioner tighten
You really need to find the instructions that are specific to your year and model bike.
Here's why I say this:
On my 1977 KZ650-C1 the cam chain tensioner automatically adjusts itself when the nut and bolt are loosened - BUT the cams MUST be in a certain position when this is done (which is described in the Kawasaki Service Manual), otherwise the tensioner will not be correctly adjusted and that can result in problems. The manual describes how to do this in a very simple fashion (it's very easy), but it is even easier to do it wrong if one doesn't follow the procedure. Later year bikes use different tensioners and procedures, so it is important that the procedure used is the correct one for the year and model being worked on. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: loudhvx, Fox, BCScott

More
03 May 2020 14:21 - 03 May 2020 14:36 #824899 by Fox
I never find the kz1000 ltd one...
I use the Kawasaki KZ 1000 (A2A-A3A_MKII-A4-D3_Z1R) '76 thru'79 - Service Manual
They have a same tensioner . The same one that we can see on the video posted before.

1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD
1977 kz1000-B1 LTD
Last edit: 03 May 2020 14:36 by Fox.

More
03 May 2020 15:00 #824907 by Fox
Ok i think i have it :

i will set the engine at TDC, then loosen the tensioner bolt.
I will then tighten it by hand.

Fell free to post any more informations before i go back to work on it ;)

Thank you

1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD
1977 kz1000-B1 LTD

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • User
  • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
More
04 May 2020 06:57 #824927 by slmjim+Z1BEBE
Replied by slmjim+Z1BEBE on topic camshaft chain tensioner tighten
The tensioner plunger has a tapered flat that the tip of the lock bolt contacts. The plunger's taper is thicker at the jug end & becomes thinner toward the spring end.

Once the bolt is snugged onto that tapered flat, the plunger can't 'back off', 'cause the taper won't move past the tip end of the lock bolt. It can't move from a thinner part of the taper where it was initially tightened onto onto a thicker part of the taper.
It doesn't take much torque at all on the lock bolt to secure the plunger very securely. Like some have mentioned above, just snug it. & then snug the locknut. It's not a torque-critical fastener like head nuts, for instance.

An article written by Tech guru Kevin Cameron many years ago postulated that it's better to make some adjustments with the motor at operating temperature. One very specific example he mentioned is camchain tension. His position is that if the cam chain is adjusted cold, that due to thermal expansion of the entire case/jug/head assembly after startup the crank center and cam center(s) move away from each other during heating, resulting in the camchain being slightly over-tight. By how much? That's open to discussion but, it presents an opportunity for maintenance on a more subtle level. Even in the early days of the air-cooled Z motors, it was apparent that the camchain slider shoe at the front of the jugs was somewhat delicate & didn't tolerate overtightened camachains well at all. We've always made camchain adjustments hot.

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE

A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1973 ('72 builds) Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Fox, Rick H.

More
04 May 2020 08:14 #824934 by Fox
Awesome. Thank you very much for your time an explanation.

Have a good day

1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD
1977 kz1000-B1 LTD

More
04 May 2020 09:33 #824940 by Rick H.
Replied by Rick H. on topic camshaft chain tensioner tighten

slmjim+Z1BEBE wrote: The tensioner plunger has a tapered flat that the tip of the lock bolt contacts. The plunger's taper is thicker at the jug end & becomes thinner toward the spring end.

Once the bolt is snugged onto that tapered flat, the plunger can't 'back off', 'cause the taper won't move past the tip end of the lock bolt. It can't move from a thinner part of the taper where it was initially tightened onto onto a thicker part of the taper.
It doesn't take much torque at all on the lock bolt to secure the plunger very securely. Like some have mentioned above, just snug it. & then snug the locknut. It's not a torque-critical fastener like head nuts, for instance.

An article written by Tech guru Kevin Cameron many years ago postulated that it's better to make some adjustments with the motor at operating temperature. One very specific example he mentioned is camchain tension. His position is that if the cam chain is adjusted cold, that due to thermal expansion of the entire case/jug/head assembly after startup the crank center and cam center(s) move away from each other during heating, resulting in the camchain being slightly over-tight. By how much? That's open to discussion but, it presents an opportunity for maintenance on a more subtle level. Even in the early days of the air-cooled Z motors, it was apparent that the camchain slider shoe at the front of the jugs was somewhat delicate & didn't tolerate overtightened camachains well at all. We've always made camchain adjustments hot.

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE

Thank you for the info, certainly makes sense if you think about it doesn't it? Better a tad loose than a tad tight IMHO.
Rick H.

Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1