Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Easy pull clutch 07 Jan 2020 13:28 #816646

• Rick H.
  • User
  • Thank you received: 254
I will try to pop off my sprocket cover tonite and take a pic of how the actuator is situated. A good picture is worth a thousands words or more especially in this case as the instructions that come with the kit are minimal at best. Perhaps Baldy110 can chime in when I post the picture to see if his is positioned the same way. Just as food for thought, when I installed mine I kept a close eye on how much the cable pulled on the actuator so it didn't go over the top so to speak. I attempted to use a translation program to decipher the instructions and that helped a bit. In the directions they tell you to file down a part of the sprocket housing casting if it gets in the way of the cable spring. Mine did interfere so I used a carbide bit on a Dremel tool to remove the casting web and viola, no more interference.
Rick H.

Okay, here's 2 pictures. The first pic shows the actuator in relationship to the sprocket cover. The actuator arm is at full extension in the pic. The second pic more or less shows how I notched out the casting web to eliminate interference with the spring on the end of the cable. Hope these help.
Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Rick H.. Reason: To add pictures.

Easy pull clutch 07 Jan 2020 13:44 #816649

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1903
I don´t understand the Hype about the easy pull clutch kit. I my opinion it is the same 3rd. gen. clutch acutator mechanism mama kawa made for the late Z1000J/ZX1100A1 bikes. Don´t ask how do i know about it.

Attachments:

Last edit: by Scirocco.

Easy pull clutch 07 Jan 2020 14:21 #816651

• Rick H.
  • User
Scirocco: I am not sure if I would call it a lot of hype, but in my case I don't know what Kawasaki had on their other bikes. On my '77 KZ-1000 they had the nylon sleeved clutch actuator in place and it was less than stellar in my estimation. I even ordered a new nylon outer housing replacement, for $80.00, to replace the old one and it didn't help much at all. My biggest complaint was the friction, or what I call "stiction" in the old nylon arrangement that led to a jumpy clutch release when taking off from a stop. Maybe it's due to my advanced years, but I literally had to think about what I was doing when engaging the clutch on my KZ when I wanted to take off for fear of killing the engine or looking like a dolt newbie. That thinking process has been eliminated with the Easy Pull kit, it's silky smooth with no "stiction". Just hope it stays this way. I am certain this is nothing more than an aftermarket solution to the Z and KZ that Kawasaki never offered. I understand later Kawasaki's had some type of similar device albeit OEM and someone once posted a picture of an actuator from another model Kawasaki that was supposed to work. Unfortunately, it is no longer available.
Rick H.

P.S. I really like the exhaust system on the second bike picture you posted. That wouldn't by chance fit on an early KZ-1000 would it?
Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1

Last edit: by Rick H..

Easy pull clutch 07 Jan 2020 14:27 #816652

• 9er rider
  • Sustaining Member
  • Keep a cool tool
  • Thank you received: 87
I just dont have an easy fix or the parts out here in the middle if non kawasakiland. Im building for a new rider, My son and his wife.
76 kz 900 1075 76 kz 900 a4 78 kz 1000 ltd

Last edit: by 9er rider.

Easy pull clutch 07 Jan 2020 14:29 #816653

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1903
If an early exhaust 4-1 system would fit on an later engine a later 4-1 system would fit on an earlier engine with some minor mods!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rick H.

Easy pull clutch 07 Jan 2020 15:47 #816660

• Rick H.
  • User
Thanks Scirocco: So I must ask, do you know who made that exhaust system on your blue bike? I think it looks really good. Is it terribly loud? And does it clear the oil filter?

Rick H.
Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1

Easy pull clutch 07 Jan 2020 20:19 #816670

• baldy110
  • baldy110's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 510

Rick H. wrote: I will try to pop off my sprocket cover tonite and take a pic of how the actuator is situated. A good picture is worth a thousands words or more especially in this case as the instructions that come with the kit are minimal at best. Perhaps Baldy110 can chime in when I post the picture to see if his is positioned the same way. Just as food for thought, when I installed mine I kept a close eye on how much the cable pulled on the actuator so it didn't go over the top so to speak. I attempted to use a translation program to decipher the instructions and that helped a bit. In the directions they tell you to file down a part of the sprocket housing casting if it gets in the way of the cable spring. Mine did interfere so I used a carbide bit on a Dremel tool to remove the casting web and viola, no more interference.
Rick H.

Okay, here's 2 pictures. The first pic shows the actuator in relationship to the sprocket cover. The actuator arm is at full extension in the pic. The second pic more or less shows how I notched out the casting web to eliminate interference with the spring on the end of the cable. Hope these help.

Yep mine is positioned the same way but I didn't have to clearance the cover.

Easy pull clutch 08 Jan 2020 05:22 #816679

• Bulletkz
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 18
So I have a 80 ltd. Some are saying I have the same style clutch release but with more leverage. I'm wondering if I should just cut and extend the pull arm?
I cleaned and greased it and does work easier but I'm use to riding mordern bikes .
I have a 90s zx7 ninja hydraulic clutch I have been saving to convert but if the cable style can be made just as easily why bother.

Easy pull clutch 08 Jan 2020 06:36 #816684

• Bama704
  • User
  • Thank you received: 28
I'm having the exact same issue with the nylon worm gear, it is grabby and I tried messing around with it last night to no avail. Looks like I will be ordering this kit so I don't have the grabby issues from a start.
1977 KZ900
Carbs are late model 1975 28mm

Easy pull clutch 08 Jan 2020 14:55 #816725

• baldy110
  • User
Did another 200 miles today and still no issues with the easy pull clutch. Still very consistent and smooth operation.
Sirocco, how do you adapt the J model clutch pieces to the older cover? I thought of adapting the newer style but I don't see how the newer parts go into the older cover without the special adapter sold in the kit.

Last edit: by baldy110.

Easy pull clutch 08 Jan 2020 15:03 #816727

• Bama704
  • User
  • Thank you received: 28
Baldy, where did you buy yours from. They are out of stock on z1e as well as dime city cycles. Glad to hear it is still as advertised.
1977 KZ900
Carbs are late model 1975 28mm

Easy pull clutch 08 Jan 2020 15:08 #816730

• baldy110
  • User
Z1 Enterprises. I'm sure they will restock them.