Valve shim replacement one cam at a time?

More
24 Jun 2019 17:05 - 24 Jun 2019 17:05 #806363 by Pagala
It's time to replace the valve shims in my GT550 (which has a variant of the early KZ550 engine). The valves had clearance but they were close when I put the bike back together during the restoration. I've ridden it (quite hard) for 1000 miles, and it's been great, but now it occasionally cuts when idling. The clutch cable is properly adjusted and the carbs are fine, but I know I must be pushing my luck with the valve clearances now...

I understand that because the shims are so small, the only really easy and convenient way to change valve shims is by removing cams. I don't want to skip a tooth on the valve timing, and I'm not a fan of counting the cam chain links to make it line up, so I thought of this idea. How about tying a zip tie between one of the cam gears and the cam chain, and then painting a mark on a point crossing the cam chain and the other cam gear. Then removing that other (not tied) cam, inspecting the shims, ordering replacements for that side. Then putting the cam back in, lining it up with the painted mark, then doing the same with the other side? Does this sound feasible?

Thanks in advance

1̶9̶8̶3̶ ̶K̶a̶w̶a̶s̶a̶k̶i̶ ̶G̶T̶5̶5̶0̶ ̶(̶U̶K̶-̶o̶n̶l̶y̶ ̶m̶o̶d̶e̶l̶)̶,̶ ̶a̶l̶s̶o̶ ̶k̶n̶o̶w̶n̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶Z̶5̶5̶0̶ ̶G̶1̶,̶ ̶r̶e̶g̶i̶s̶t̶e̶r̶e̶d̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶4̶.̶
1981 Kawasaki Z440 (KZ440C1)
Last edit: 24 Jun 2019 17:05 by Pagala.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jun 2019 21:00 #806376 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Valve shim replacement one cam at a time?
I've explained the one cam idea here over the years. No need to even mark anything, although that never hurts. Simply unbolt one cam and carefully move it towards center of the engine and be sure to keep all tension on the front of the chain for the exhaust, and rear of the engine for the intake cam. So keep the chain tight, and all slack in the center, move the cam towards center, replace shims, and carefully replace the cam in position, then done, torque that one and go to the other. Timing is never altered if you are careful. Works on the single row chain, and I've done it for over 200,000 miles if not more. On hyvo chain don't know.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pagala

More
25 Jun 2019 10:49 - 25 Jun 2019 10:50 #806399 by Pagala
Replied by Pagala on topic Valve shim replacement one cam at a time?
Excellent. Just like I imagined, then. That's going to be how I'm going to do it.

Just out of interest, do you know of any equivalent to this sort of valve-depressor tool (which let's you take shims out without removing cams) which I use on my Yamaha?
www.lasertools.co.uk/product/6519

It wouldn't fit on my Kawasaki 550, but I'm just wondering if there's a tool, perhaps a screw-down one, which will do the same job.

1̶9̶8̶3̶ ̶K̶a̶w̶a̶s̶a̶k̶i̶ ̶G̶T̶5̶5̶0̶ ̶(̶U̶K̶-̶o̶n̶l̶y̶ ̶m̶o̶d̶e̶l̶)̶,̶ ̶a̶l̶s̶o̶ ̶k̶n̶o̶w̶n̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶Z̶5̶5̶0̶ ̶G̶1̶,̶ ̶r̶e̶g̶i̶s̶t̶e̶r̶e̶d̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶4̶.̶
Last edit: 25 Jun 2019 10:50 by Pagala.

More
25 Jun 2019 13:05 #806412 by Greybeard
Replied by Greybeard on topic Valve shim replacement one cam at a time?
I've heard some use the HAZET 2577-2 VALVE SPRING COMPRESSOR

1982 KZ1100 D-1

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
25 Jun 2019 14:22 #806418 by Scirocco
Replied by Scirocco on topic Valve shim replacement one cam at a time?
Correct, modified my HAZET valve spring compressor from 8 valve head to 16 and 20 valve head tool.

Attachments:

More
25 Jun 2019 14:24 #806419 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Valve shim replacement one cam at a time?

Pagala wrote: Excellent. Just like I imagined, then. That's going to be how I'm going to do it.

Just out of interest, do you know of any equivalent to this sort of valve-depressor tool (which let's you take shims out without removing cams) which I use on my Yamaha?
www.lasertools.co.uk/product/6519

It wouldn't fit on my Kawasaki 550, but I'm just wondering if there's a tool, perhaps a screw-down one, which will do the same job.

Take a look at your engine. I believe you will find that the shims are UNDER the buckets. Given that, there is no way to replace a shim without first removing the bucket and there is no way to remove the bucket without first removing the cam. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
25 Jun 2019 14:34 #806421 by Scirocco
Replied by Scirocco on topic Valve shim replacement one cam at a time?
The Picture i post before you see a KZ 650 head with shim under bucket. You have to remove the cams and buckets for a valve shim change.

More
25 Jun 2019 15:07 #806428 by Pagala
Thanks guys for the valve tool information. I think it might be more trouble than it's worth to buy and adapt a tool to use in that way, so I'll just remove the cams instead.

650ed wrote: Take a look at your engine. I believe you will find that the shims are UNDER the buckets. Given that, there is no way to replace a shim without first removing the bucket

That's where you're wrong.
Apart from the tool I posted, which works on bigger buckets and bigger shims on bigger engines, a dexterous person (not me) could do it on this engine using a lever and a metal sliver to push and hold down the edge of the bucket. Alternatively, some people do it by stuffing something like a folded ziptie down the spark plug hole to trap the returning valve (in between the back of the valve face and the cylinder head). Either method would result in holding the bucket down sufficiently to pop the shim out with the edge of a small flathead screwdriver.

More
25 Jun 2019 15:28 #806434 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic Valve shim replacement one cam at a time?
On a shim under bucket style engine the cams HAVE TO REMOVED to get at the shims period unless you beam the shims out. And if you ever manage to remove the the shims leaving the cams in place please record the procedure and post it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Gamma

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
25 Jun 2019 15:49 #806439 by SWest

More
25 Jun 2019 19:12 #806453 by Pagala

baldy110 wrote: On a shim under bucket style engine the cams HAVE TO REMOVED to get at the shims period unless you beam the shims out. And if you ever manage to remove the the shims leaving the cams in place please record the procedure and post it.

That's a pretty stupid position to hold for ALL shim-under-bucket-style engines. What do you think that device I posted is for?

More
25 Jun 2019 19:13 #806454 by Pagala

SWest wrote: :angry: If shim under buckets the cams MUST be removed.
Steve

If you're saying that whenever you have shims under buckets you have to remove the cams to remove the shims I can meet that "challenge" if you're saying that's the ONLY way to do it.