Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Valve Adjustment Measurements 28 Mar 2019 20:42 #801205

• baldy110
  • User
  • Thank you received: 510
Yes, with the cams and tensioner off carefully rotate the engine counter clockwise while pulling up on the chain. If it's bound up you will feel the chain come up as you turn the crank.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lousankz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Valve Adjustment Measurements 28 Mar 2019 21:08 #801206

• lousankz
  • lousankz's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2

baldy110 wrote: Yes, with the cams and tensioner off carefully rotate the engine counter clockwise while pulling up on the chain. If it's bound up you will feel the chain come up as you turn the crank.

So this worked with the cams off, I was able to rotate the engine freely clockwise with the chain pulled up and it seemed fine. Got the cams back on and ran into the same issue. I’m tired so I give up tonight but I’ll spend more time on it this weekend. Thanks for the input!
1981 KZ750E

Valve Adjustment Measurements 29 Mar 2019 09:29 #801233

• lousankz
  • User
I havent changed/drained the oil yet from the motor although all the leftover oil in the valve/cam area is gone via leaking down through the valves. Is there any chance it could be a lubrication problem? I am guessing not based on the resistance I am getting on the wrench when trying to turn the crank with the cams on, seeing as I am unable to move it at all (without literally standing on the wrench to see what I can break)
1981 KZ750E

Valve Adjustment Measurements 29 Mar 2019 13:11 #801244

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1899

lousankz wrote:
I am guessing not based on the resistance I am getting on the wrench when trying to turn the crank with the cams on, seeing as I am unable to move it at all (without literally standing on the wrench to see what I can break)

Look into the spark plug holes to see if any valve collide with the Piston dome.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lousankz

Valve Adjustment Measurements 29 Mar 2019 15:45 #801256

• baldy110
  • User
  • Thank you received: 510
If the engine turns over without the cams in place but won't with the cams in place can only be one of two issues. The cam chain is bound up on the crank or the cams are not timed right.

Valve Adjustment Measurements 24 May 2019 13:25 #804521

• lousankz
  • User
Hey Guys! I am back with more questions again. I got the valves all spaced appropriately and the top end back together. She's running great for the most part but I have noticed what sounds like a "ting-ing" or ticking noise that rises and falls with the revs coming from the 4th cylinder, more specifically sounds like it's towards the exhaust side of the valve.

Has anybody heard of this happening? If I recall, #4 was a valve that had very little clearance before the valves were done so I am wondering if changing the valve seat that created an issue somewhere with exhaust side of the motor.
1981 KZ750E

Valve Adjustment Measurements 24 May 2019 13:28 #804522

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
Check to make sure it isn't just an exhaust leak where the pipe and head meet. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Valve Adjustment Measurements 28 May 2019 08:53 #804718

• lousankz
  • User
Thanks for the reply, Ed.

Would changing the valve clearance cause an exhaust leak to start occurring? I believe that cylinder #4 exhaust clearance was nil before I corrected the valve measurements.

Thanks!
1981 KZ750E

Valve Adjustment Measurements 28 May 2019 10:16 #804719

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2621
If you mean at the head it could be. If the valve itself is chirping it's been burned.
Steve