oil breather

• Sayonara
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • The faster the better
More
02 Mar 2019 12:16 #799526 by Sayonara
oil breather was created by Sayonara
Last week I notices that there was very oily around the back of the clutch cove an when I disassemble I was coming from a hose coming from the oil breather down, so I took a oil filter for the breather and fit it. today I did a run out my back street and when I came home also noticed that there was oil driving from the breather and if I accelerate it a lot I see the breathe drip.

I grew up riding and fixing all sort of small bike until I inherited A 1977 GS 750 when I was 16, that changed my life completely I love metric bike and I own a few fully working and have some projects.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Mar 2019 18:38 #799544 by Irish Yobbo
Replied by Irish Yobbo on topic oil breather
Not sure what bike you have, but as a general rule oil shouldn't come out (except a minuscule amount as vapour) when the bike is new. However when they get older and more worn, the crankcase pressure can increase, and it will be breathing a higher volume of air, and more oil will be taken with it.

Make sure that your oil level is correct, too high and it will start coming out of the breather.

1981 KZ750 LTD

• Street Fighter LTD
  • Away
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
02 Mar 2019 20:10 #799554 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic oil breather
Is this the 1400 cc bike .

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

• Sayonara
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • The faster the better
More
03 Mar 2019 05:56 #799562 by Sayonara
Replied by Sayonara on topic oil breather
yes it is the 1979 with the 1400 cc block.
I have managed to keep it running with a lot of wrenching but I am sure that at some point that engine might give me major issues

I grew up riding and fixing all sort of small bike until I inherited A 1977 GS 750 when I was 16, that changed my life completely I love metric bike and I own a few fully working and have some projects.

• Street Fighter LTD
  • Away
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
03 Mar 2019 06:13 - 03 Mar 2019 06:15 #799563 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic oil breather

Sayonara wrote: yes it is the 1979 with the 1400 cc block.
I have managed to keep it running with a lot of wrenching but I am sure that at some point that engine might give me major issues

Without more info I will assume ( Bad word ) your motor needs more , less restrictive crankcase venting. You could try taking a hose to the existing breather and
running it in a loop up and then back down into a catch can ( aluminum beer can ).
In my high performance bike I sealed up the breather and put a fitting in my cam cover coming out the side of the chain tunnel and run it back to my drive chain inside my chain guard . The hose terminates behind the front half of my rear tire to avoid oil on the rear tire
When racing at the strip we ran this basic setup, but to meet rules the hose went from the cam cover to a catch can then that was vented to the rear of the bike up high to avoid oil on the tire and track. We also emptied the catch can after every run as part of normal post race procedure.
The can would have a bit of foamed up oil in it from high crankcase pressures.
Our bikes are all high boost turbos , but a 1400 cc motor running hard or over a period of time could cause similar conditions
Good luck and hope this helps
Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
Last edit: 03 Mar 2019 06:15 by Street Fighter LTD.

• Sayonara
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • The faster the better
More
05 Mar 2019 09:41 #799766 by Sayonara
Replied by Sayonara on topic oil breather
Thanks for all your replies without you guys I could not keep this bike running. it was a quarter over in oil so drained it and back to normal thanks.

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
More
06 Mar 2019 04:46 - 06 Mar 2019 05:00 #799809 by CoreyClough
Replied by CoreyClough on topic oil breather
Loads of different types of oil catch/breathers out there. I'd recommend inquiring with APE Raceparts. If you search here, there are a lot of threads about this subject.

'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp
Attachments:
Last edit: 06 Mar 2019 05:00 by CoreyClough.

More
06 Mar 2019 11:48 #799823 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic oil breather
At the very least run a hose from the breather up as high as possible to the seat rails or under the tank.
This will allow the oil to drop out of the pumped air and drain back into the motor.
As already mentioned a 1400 motor needs more than just the stock breather so fit another one from the oil filler and run the end into a catch tank.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-