Engine won't stay running; need help

More
28 May 2018 13:43 #784251 by kz900robert
Replied by kz900robert on topic Engine won't stay running; need help
That's what it looks like. I screwed it completely in and it doesn't touch. if I removed the spring, it might touch. There's maybe a 1/16 inch to 1/32 in ch gap. Not much. But enough. Or ... not enough. Depending on whether you're a pessimist or optimist. lol

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
28 May 2018 14:03 #784256 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Engine won't stay running; need help
Set it in the center of it's travel then adjust the slides using a small drill bit or wire. It's called bench syncing.
Steve
Start it at 3:30

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
28 May 2018 14:25 #784259 by Scirocco
Replied by Scirocco on topic Engine won't stay running; need help
Can you please upload a pic of the carb set with the idle adjuster in.

Attachments:

More
29 May 2018 08:06 #784304 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Engine won't stay running; need help
Some of the info in this thread is good stuff. I would add to slmjim's list of to-dos to replace cables and lube them and replace brake lines with modern stuff and disassemble master cylinder(s) and rebuild as needed and replace brake fluid. Replace the pads as well. This stuff is often neglected.

A common reason for the idle adjust screw not contacting the bellcrank is the wrong (too long) spring OR someone attempted to bench sync the carbs and used the adjust screws to lower the sync assemblies too low. In this case, first bend back the washer things on the M5 hex head screws. Loosen the hex head screws with a 7mm socket. Then loosen the locknuts on the adjusting screws. Back all four out and then tighten them till the slides barely touch the venturi. You MUST do all four. Now tighten your idle adjust screw so it opens up the slides just a tad. Now use the sync adjust screws with flat screwdriver to tighten them to just closed. If you leave an eyelash opening and the same on all four slides you can now tighten the hex head screws first then then hold the adjuster screws with a flat blade screwdriver and lightly tighten the lock nut. Bend the washer thing back up over the hex head screw so it doesn't loosen.

Now open your slides and you will note the assembly is bench sync'd. Open about an 1/8" so the bike will idle high when started and you will have to throttle it down once warmed. Don't put your hand on the throttle when using the choke.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
01 Jun 2018 10:39 #784460 by kz900robert
OK folks, sorry for the late reply. The gap at the idle adjuster was bugging me, so I took the carbs out and found a bolt that locks the throttle pulley to the rod that runs through the carbs. I loosened it and readjusted the pulley on that rod, reinstalled the carbs and .... it ran perfectly! With a little adjustment to the idle, which is now possible with the adjuster.

So ... I took it for a ride!!! AMAZING! I made it 9 miles and it stopped running. Electrical problem. Turned out to be a blown main fuse. Replaced it and was able to drive it home again.

So now the question is ... is there a problem somewhere that caused that fuse to blow or what? I haven't been able to get down there to mess with it anymore, but my plan is to just ride it and carry a bunch of fuses until I can figure out what might be causing fuses to blow. I found some troubleshooting guides in the Clymer manual, but haven't had a chance to run through them yet.

Anyway, just didn't want to leave anyone hanging with this topic. Also, for those asking for pictures, I haven't had a phone to take any with, so no new pictures. But I have received my phone in the mail since then and will take more the next time I'm down there.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
01 Jun 2018 10:44 - 01 Jun 2018 10:44 #784461 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Engine won't stay running; need help
Bad contacts or connections can make them run hot. Also check your main ground to the engine.
Steve
Last edit: 01 Jun 2018 10:44 by SWest.

More
01 Jun 2018 11:58 #784462 by kz900robert
Will do. The box and fuses were in perfect shape as far as I could see. No corrosion or anything. I didn't check the ground though. Not yet anyway. I'll be riding with a pocket full of fuses though. lol

More
01 Jun 2018 17:10 - 01 Jun 2018 17:19 #784485 by VTEC
Replied by VTEC on topic Engine won't stay running; need help
If you have a schematic look at the path from the main fuse to the several fused circuits after that. It can be rubbed through wire insulation causing a short to ground between the two. Less resistance with the same voltage causes increased current flow. A hot wire touching the frame is no resistance and will pop the fuse.

KZ1000-K2
ZRX1100
XR400R
Last edit: 01 Jun 2018 17:19 by VTEC.

More
02 Jun 2018 04:15 #784499 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Engine won't stay running; need help

VTEC wrote: If you have a schematic look at the path from the main fuse to the several fused circuits after that. It can be rubbed through wire insulation causing a short to ground between the two. Less resistance with the same voltage causes increased current flow. A hot wire touching the frame is no resistance and will pop the fuse.

I will point out that any short; that is bare wire that is a hot wire touching a ground will blow a fuse. In almost every case, the main fuse will blow. If you have a dark garage you can foll the bike into and take off seat, side cover and perhaps the gas tank, if you turn the bike on and the fuse blows, you can often see where in the dark. If it takes awhile for the fuse to blow and it only happens when riding the bike, this method won't work too well, of course.

Many times when checking over wires, you will see a little evidence of where it arced on the ground. Also check inside the headlight shell,

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
08 Jun 2018 20:16 #784812 by kz900robert
I took my chances the other day and drove the bike. I didn't have any issues with electrical or anything. Everything was perfect. I probably put on 50 miles. For the time being, I think I'm going to button it all back up and just ride it. I love being on a bike again. :) It's been too long.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
08 Jun 2018 20:40 #784813 by SWest

More
08 Jun 2018 21:03 #784817 by kz900robert
Here's a new pic of her.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest