Cam timing one tooth off

• SWest
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
03 Feb 2018 12:52 #778152 by SWest
Cam timing one tooth off was created by SWest
Would the exhaust valves be bent if the cams are one tooth retarded?
Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Feb 2018 13:02 - 03 Feb 2018 13:02 #778153 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Cam timing one tooth off
Shouldn't be.
I've had plenty of Z engines in with the timing 1 tooth out and all they do is run a bit flat.
Once it's been corrected they run fine.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Last edit: 03 Feb 2018 13:02 by zed1015.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest

• SWest
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
03 Feb 2018 13:32 #778154 by SWest

More
03 Feb 2018 14:09 - 03 Feb 2018 14:10 #778156 by zed1015
I've had them in with both advanced and retarded by a tooth and luckily nothing has clashed.
It's usually where either they've got the timing marks wrong and counted 28 back from the wrong tooth or jumped a tooth on the crank one way or the other.
Only way to tell for sure though without pulling the head is to do a leak down once the timing has been corrected.
I use a coupling in the plug hole for the compressor ( can make one from an old spark plug ) and lightly pressurise each cylinder at tdc on compression/firing stroke whilst listening for leaks at the exhaust.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS

Last edit: 03 Feb 2018 14:10 by zed1015.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mopguy

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
09 Feb 2018 12:35 #778424 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Cam timing one tooth off
I had it happen once a million years ago. 20 miles from home in bad area of town
.Didnt know what it was until I got home and opened it up.
No damage . Just ran like a city bus. Slowwwwwwwwwwwwww acceleration
Dave B) B) B)

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

• SWest
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
09 Feb 2018 13:19 #778426 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Cam timing one tooth off
I rotated the engine and didn't feel any resistance. The valves seemed louder once I got it right but I suspect I may have nicked the exhaust valves. It's running good and is quieting down. I'll be installing my new APE studs soon so I'll be checking them then. I planed on "tipping" them anyway. :unsure:
Steve

More
09 Feb 2018 14:43 #778430 by Nessism

• SWest
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
09 Feb 2018 15:55 #778435 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Cam timing one tooth off
I didn't intend to start a flame war over this subject. I appreciate the positive responses.
I have Wiseco K 1015 10.25/1 pistons
Andrews 1X cams
Grind Lift Duration Timing TDC CL ANGLE LASH
1X in .344 260 deg 24/56 .104 106 .004
ex .344 260 deg 56/24 104 106 .004
With stock pistons and cams I wouldn't have been so concerned.
Thoughts?
Steve

• Street Fighter LTD
More
09 Feb 2018 16:30 #778438 by Street Fighter LTD

SWest wrote: I didn't intend to start a flame war over this subject. I appreciate the positive responses.
I have Wiseco K 1015 10.25/1 pistons
Andrews 1X cams
Grind Lift Duration Timing TDC CL ANGLE LASH
1X in .344 260 deg 24/56 .104 106 .004
ex .344 260 deg 56/24 104 106 .004
With stock pistons and cams I wouldn't have been so concerned.
Thoughts?
Steve

Steve
When I had my cam chain jump I was running almost the same combo you are now running
IE, 1075 wiscos 10.5 to 1 Kenny Harmon cams , APE valve springs
NO Damage other than to my pride LOL
Also on a side note, If you can afford to get the APE cylinder head nuts , Its not a bad thing to do with the APE cylinder studs. That being said I ran stock nuts for a long time but had them start to strip out on my last overhaul. Just a heads up on a future issue.
Dave B) B) B)

Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

• Street Fighter LTD
More
09 Feb 2018 17:00 #778440 by Street Fighter LTD
I got thinking about this and went on APE site nosing around.
I have in my motor a little trick that I installed after the cam chain jumped during my turbo conversion/ or maybe it was when I installed the 1200cc kitprior to turbo...
APE used to make a insert that installed inside the main bearing cap that filled the gap between the chain and the cap with a hard plastic ( Kinda like the material snowmobile track slides are made of ) And this prevented the chain from ever jumping time as the room needed to do so was now gone. It is still in my motor now so I cant take a picture with out a teardown ( sorry )
Maybe some one has one or some one should make these again

Dave

More
10 Feb 2018 02:41 - 10 Feb 2018 02:45 #778452 by zed1015

Street Fighter LTD wrote: I got thinking about this and went on APE site nosing around.
I have in my motor a little trick that I installed after the cam chain jumped during my turbo conversion/ or maybe it was when I installed the 1200cc kitprior to turbo...
APE used to make a insert that installed inside the main bearing cap that filled the gap between the chain and the cap with a hard plastic ( Kinda like the material snowmobile track slides are made of ) And this prevented the chain from ever jumping time as the room needed to do so was now gone. It is still in my motor now so I cant take a picture with out a teardown ( sorry )
Maybe some one has one or some one should make these again

Dave

Here you go.
This one is alloy from Pogue Machine which I use as a pattern for making my own.
I wouldn't use this one as it's a bit of a vintage piece now.
Does the same job as the bolt in the later J/GPZ motors and stops the chain skipping teeth when pulling the top end.
Saves a lot of time at the track.

Attachments:
Last edit: 10 Feb 2018 02:45 by zed1015.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Street Fighter LTD, SWest

More
10 Feb 2018 07:10 #778462 by KZB2 650
Replied by KZB2 650 on topic Cam timing one tooth off
Didn't want to admit this but back in 06 I changed out a few shims on the exc side and buttoned it up and put it away for the winter. Next spring it fired up pretty decent and rode it a few times. Took it out a few more and although first through 3rd seemed pretty strong 4th and 5th was pretty doggy and I thought well maybe new plugs and a timing check might be in order (not even thinking about being a tooth off).

A little later I took it out to our two lane 1/4 mile blacktop and ran it though missing 4th gear very badly ( I can still picture it how slowly I reacted) (had 3 or 4 vodka and orange juice just before and I in partly blame it on that) .... (along with being retarded)...... started running on 1 or two cylinders and it hit me like a ton of bricks that I changed out the exc cam the year before and it was because of that.......... I was right no comp in 2 and 3.... 25 lbs in 4 and "1 had a normal 150 so I got home limping on it and 4. After checking the timing I saw I was one tooth retarded on the exc. (Trust me I felt a little retarded over the whole thing too).

After taking the head off all 4 exc valves had a half round mark where they slammed into the pistons. (Same matching mark on the pistons too so I didn't trust them either thinking it might have cracked or weakened them)......It then sat till 2012 when I re did it......... so to make a long story short no normal running will not bend a valve but a hard miss shift very likely will.

1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.