problems

More
07 Jul 2017 08:02 #766305 by Fox
Replied by Fox on topic problems
Hello,

i can't have a correct idle...

Pilot screw are at 1.5 turns. Spark plugs are black, too much black.

(My spark plugs was super brown before i add liquid gasket to the intake manifolds. I add this gasket because there was air form those and the bike was not starting.)

The idle is too high when i accelerate and don't go down imediately when i don't accelerate.
After 30 secondes the idle go down and the bike stop.

The bike don't stop if i let the idle at 2500 rpm !

-New spark plugs
- valves adjustement done
- carb level done with clear tube
- clean carbs
- electronic timing with dyna
- new battery (but i start with kickstarter because electronic start don't work all the times)

i don't know what to do now....
any idea is welcome

1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD
1977 kz1000-B1 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kray-Z
  • User
  • I need more power Scotty....
More
08 Jul 2017 01:10 #766388 by Kray-Z
Replied by Kray-Z on topic problems
Hi,

Sounds to me like the rubber intake manifolds are still leaking (your symptoms are typical of intake vacuum leaks). The only proper fix for bad rubber intake manifolds is to replace them. Gasket glue is not the answer here, I'm afraid. In fact, it should not be used on the manifolds at all (as was already suggested). Do a proper job of cleaning the metal surface of the cylinder head and (good or new) manifolds will seal without gasket glue or RTV. You also should check carburetor synchronization again, but only after eliminating all vacuum leaks, and after checking again for even engine compression and re-checking ignition timing.

Keep trying. I Hope you get it solved soon.

-Scott

2-04 R1, 81 CSR1000, 81 LTD1000, 2-83 GPz1100, 3-79CBX, 81 CBX, 3-XS650, 84 Venture, +parts
Quote "speed costs money...how fast do you want to go?" (Which Z movie?)
Universal formula for how many motorcycles one should own = n + 1, where n is how many motorcycles you own right now....
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fox

• Kray-Z
  • User
  • I need more power Scotty....
More
08 Jul 2017 01:30 - 08 Jul 2017 21:32 #766389 by Kray-Z
Replied by Kray-Z on topic problems
Hi, forgot two things...

1. The manual for the 81 and newer 1000 / 1100's does not apply to your 78 1000 - the engines and carbs are very different. You should be referring only to a 78 manual for the 1000. (added - 650ed 's link to a manual is the correct manual),

2. Dyna S ignitions work best with 3 ohm ignition coils. Check your coils to be sure they are within the recommended tolerance for primary resistance (I think 2.8 to 3.4 ohms is o.k.). Most OEM Japanese coils of that era are 1.5 - 2 ohms (or 4.3 to 5 ohms) and will cause the Dyna S ignition to overheat, malfunction and ultimately fail completely.

-Scott

2-04 R1, 81 CSR1000, 81 LTD1000, 2-83 GPz1100, 3-79CBX, 81 CBX, 3-XS650, 84 Venture, +parts
Quote "speed costs money...how fast do you want to go?" (Which Z movie?)
Universal formula for how many motorcycles one should own = n + 1, where n is how many motorcycles you own right now....
Last edit: 08 Jul 2017 21:32 by Kray-Z.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fox