Needed: Engine rebuild warning, tips, and tricks

More
11 Dec 2016 18:00 - 11 Dec 2016 19:03 #749993 by KZB2 650
Pistons rings, head gasket and bore job alone ran around 625 or just over ...... 8 guides put in and sized, new springs set up, seals, new ex valves, perf valve job, head skim cut .004 .....around 550 w/ the valves ...... base gasket, valve cover, end plugs, clutch, pan, chain adjuster spring and gasket etc maybe a hundred ..... a used set of 750 cams off Ebay 40 bucks or so...... Ape assembled the head with there parts and bored the cyl...... I put it all together...... Liska, couple rollers, rubber pads and blocks, orings at least 120 (yours is probably more like 200) without a cam chain...... clutch disks and springs 70.... few shims, loctite, sealer, couple cans spray cleaner, assembly lube oil, filter 60-70,.... put in heli coils in all cam holder holes maybe 35 for the kit..... carb holders 45 or 50 ...... x ring chain and sprokets...... rear tire...... battery......Dyna coils, ignition and wires......few jets and o rings for the carbs.....didn't split the bottom end or that would a been more. Crap adds up and I know I'm for getting some Had most of the basic tools but needed a Clutch hub holder, elect impact, inch lb torgue wrench, few large sockets, ring grinder, cheap auto engine holder, etc... should a replaced the starter clutch when I was in there could a saved me tearing into it again a couple years later.

1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.
Last edit: 11 Dec 2016 19:03 by KZB2 650.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Dec 2016 04:45 #750018 by JOE MKII
Operating a real business with a shop and even one employee gets expensive fast…..so saying something is too expensive is relative to who is available and who you know and how they run there business. Written warranty good idea… asking lots of questions may or may not piss off the mechanic, but if he is any good he will take the opportunity to show you what he knows and answer all your questions. And I suggest (if it hasn't been suggested already ) to make sure you get back all the broken bits and pieces as piece of mind that they were in need of replacement and they were replaced .Hopefully he will let you be part of the process and invite you to see what he is doing once and a while.

I myself have had enough bad experiences that I now try assemble why I can myself…..now if I could only do machine work!

I believe its called "Oppositional Defiance Disorder"

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
More
12 Dec 2016 07:42 #750024 by Nessism
As Bozo says, with only 27k on the engine the bores and valve guides should be fine unless something got botched up when the guide broke. Use a bottle brush hone in the cylinders to break the glaze and install new OEM rings. Lap the valves after a good cleaning and install new valve stem seals. Use OEM Kawasaki gaskets during the rebuild. The wild card is damage from the broken guide. As for labor, I'm not sure. I don't trust shops to work on my bike. In my way of thinking old bikes are best owned by guys that do their own wrenching. If doing your own work doesn't interest you then I'd just get a newer bike and be done with 35 year old rides that need constant attention.

Hopefully this shop owner is a benevolent sort of fellow. Throwing yourself at his mercy is risky so good luck with that.

More
12 Dec 2016 07:50 #750027 by rrsmsw9999
Replied by rrsmsw9999 on topic Needed: Engine rebuild warning, tips, and tricks
Get another bike, $2600 is a not worth it. You could find a complete unbroken 1100 motor or bike for half that and have the remaining parts from your motor. My advice - don't do it. R

1980 KZ 1000E2
Crashed 6/2016

1980 KZ550A
Sold 3/2016
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism

More
12 Dec 2016 16:30 #750059 by zukdave
That ain't a lot of money to work with if you are paying a shop for labor think about it a big bore piston kit is what $600.00
and a mild Larry C. head is an easy $1200.00 and you still have to bore the block ($200.00) buy all the paper and rubber
stuff to assemble it, do the carbs and all the little shit you never think about when planning a "simple" refresh.

1980 KZ650 F1
ZX750A1 motor.
Wiseco 810cc kit.
Zukiworks racing ported head.
VM 29 smooth bore's.
Dyna 2000 Ign. w/Dyna mini coil's
APE cylinder stud's and nut's.
APE valve spring's.
APE Track King clutch.
V/H KZ1000 sidewinder.
3.5x18 laced to a KZ1000 disk hub.
150/60/18 Shinko 006 Podium.
63" wheel base.

• ThatGPzGuy
  • Sustaining Member
  • More Sparky than Speed Racer
More
12 Dec 2016 16:33 #750060 by ThatGPzGuy
Replied by ThatGPzGuy on topic Needed: Engine rebuild warning, tips, and tricks
What these other guys said...
I am in the middle of rebuilding my KZ1000P. The head was done for $195 but it didn't need guides or new valves. The jugs were bored for $153 and the then the head and block were lightly skimmed for $108. I paid $332 for new IMD pistons.
Leaving the bottom end alone...

Jim
North GA
2016 Yamaha FJR1300ES
1982 GPz750 R1
1974 Kawasaki H1
1976 Kawasaki KZ400
1979 Yamaha XS650 cafe'
2001 KZ1000P
2001 Yamaha YZ426
1981 Honda XR200 stroked in an '89 CR125 chassis
1965 Mustang
1967 Triumph GT6
1976 Bronco
"If you didn't build it, it's not really yours"

More
13 Dec 2016 06:14 #750097 by SmokyOwl
Well I had a decision to make.

1. Sell the broken bike for $500 to (if I'm lucky) $1,000....good luck selling it with winter here too. Then I have to spend several weeks if not months finding another bike, spend another >$3k that EVERYBODY around here wants for their bike regardless of age, make, or mileage,

2. Have the only competent shop in town willing to work on my bike for the same losses as I'd have buying a new untested bike. Seriously my choice around here is either a real hack shop that, from what I hear, can't do spark plug changes (heard this three times), Or this new company that has a good reputation with HIGH charging rates. I haven't heard one complaint about them other than their rates.

I get it...I'm getting robbed. But this job is more than I can handle, and I'm not comfortable having a shop an hour away do the job. The guy has worked on KZs before, and he's either familiar with them or he's a very good liar. Right now I'm stuck with my decision regardless, as I have no way of transporting the bike.

1982 Kawasaki KZ1100 A2, Shaft

Never trade the thrill of living for the safety of existance.

More
13 Dec 2016 06:36 #750100 by SmokyOwl

Nessism wrote: As Bozo says, with only 27k on the engine the bores and valve guides should be fine unless something got botched up when the guide broke. Use a bottle brush hone in the cylinders to break the glaze and install new OEM rings. Lap the valves after a good cleaning and install new valve stem seals. Use OEM Kawasaki gaskets during the rebuild. The wild card is damage from the broken guide. As for labor, I'm not sure. I don't trust shops to work on my bike. In my way of thinking old bikes are best owned by guys that do their own wrenching. If doing your own work doesn't interest you then I'd just get a newer bike and be done with 35 year old rides that need constant attention.

Hopefully this shop owner is a benevolent sort of fellow. Throwing yourself at his mercy is risky so good luck with that.

I know EXACTLY what you mean with shops doing the work. I hate it too, I've been burned bad recently and I am very nervous about a shop doing this job. My car's valve broke, and was fixed under warranty....new block, head, and turbo...awesome. But then they left air in the clutch and broke the radiator causing it to leak....and they refuse to fix it (after 1 attempt) saying the radiator was like that before, and the clutch is aftermarket and that's the way it is. Now guess who has two thumbs and gets to fix it?

Opening up the head and dealing with camshaft and timing issues is where I draw the line with my mechanical aptitude. Especially in winter...working on anything outside in winter just sucks. Really wish I had a heated garage. If the job takes more than an hour in witner....I usually have a shop do it if I can afford it.

Yeah the shop owner was adamant about using Kawasaki oem seals and gaskets. I'll tell him your recommendations, thanks.

1982 Kawasaki KZ1100 A2, Shaft

Never trade the thrill of living for the safety of existance.

More
13 Dec 2016 06:57 #750104 by rrsmsw9999
Replied by rrsmsw9999 on topic Needed: Engine rebuild warning, tips, and tricks
Well, ya gotta do what ya gotta do. One thing I would make sure of is if the valves are bent, busted pistons, or completely trashed the head. If it is that guy's price is gonna go up and you will end up with 500lb paper weight. Have you looked for a nearby member here to perhaps help you fix it? If ya want to trailer it them and pay for all parts and very modest labor, I'd bet someone would consider doing it. R

1980 KZ 1000E2
Crashed 6/2016

1980 KZ550A
Sold 3/2016