Gpz oiling system vs kz, oil cooler vs non.

More
10 Sep 2016 11:58 #741789 by MadShad
Ok I'll start by saying I'm convinced that I need a larger oil cooler and most likley fittings.
Several people tried to tell me that. (Hi Steve and Lou!)
I also read conflicting info saying my setup would be fine, and that was backed up with the fact that I have a stock Gpz1100 factory oil cooler in my garage to inspect. The factory cooler has a smaller line ID throughout than what I'm using, in fact the smallest opening is around 1/8".

Now I want to know why.

The Z1/KZ pumps are very simple. There's a pressure releif valve in the top of the filter cavity that lets oil back into the pan when pressure gets too high.
On the GPz oil pump that pressure relief valve was moved to the pump and also allows oil back into the pan at a specific pressure, my guess is that its set to open at a higher pressure to deal with pushing oil up and thru the cooler using smaller lines.
Am I making any sense?
Can someone confirm or deny?

The second difference I see is in the filter and the filter bolt itself.
The Z1/KZ part is just a hollow tube with holes for the filter oil to pass thru.
The GPz has a check valve built in that I'm guessing is used to keep the oil cooler oil from draining back out, preventing dry startups.

Confirm deny?

The third difference I'm not sure about, the GPz uses a shorter oil filter with some sort of plate above it.
No Idea why. Higher flow open element? Cheaper or better availability?

Here's what I'm looking at.

And this is the stuff that keeps me up at night, I'm cursed. I just have to know.

Shelbyville, Indiana. '80 KZ1000
No more of that talk or I'll put the leeches on you, understand?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Sep 2016 10:48 #741858 by G-tron
Replied by G-tron on topic Gpz oiling system vs kz, oil cooler vs non.
Also keen to know.

I'm adding a bigger oil cooler to my KZ750.

Eat, Sleep, Ride

More
11 Sep 2016 12:15 - 11 Sep 2016 12:18 #741864 by SmokyOwl
Replied by SmokyOwl on topic Gpz oiling system vs kz, oil cooler vs non.
Also like to learn more about oil coolers, I'd like to add one on my KZ1100. There's a lot of confusion on different models and components required.

1982 Kawasaki KZ1100 A2, Shaft

Never trade the thrill of living for the safety of existance.
Last edit: 11 Sep 2016 12:18 by SmokyOwl.

More
11 Sep 2016 13:25 - 12 Sep 2016 05:49 #741872 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Gpz oiling system vs kz, oil cooler vs non.

By G-tron: Also keen to know. ... I'm adding a bigger oil cooler to my KZ750.

this reply is not related to the topic post or the 1000/1100.
Just an FYI. the 2000-2005 ZR750 ZR7/ZR7S has a bigger oil pump (more flow) that is a direct bolt-on to the KZ750. pretty sure. There are a couple of topics about it. search for topics by Turboguzzi (sp?). I don't know if blown gaskets are a possibility from the higher flow.
Last edit: 12 Sep 2016 05:49 by martin_csr.

More
11 Sep 2016 13:28 #741873 by MadShad
Replied by MadShad on topic Gpz oiling system vs kz, oil cooler vs non.
My questions is very specefic and only pertains to the bikes listed in my original post.

Not the same as the smaller bikes.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
11 Sep 2016 14:25 #741876 by SWest

MadShad wrote: Ok I'll start by saying I'm convinced that I need a larger oil cooler and most likley fittings.
Several people tried to tell me that. (Hi Steve and Lou!)
I also read conflicting info saying my setup would be fine, and that was backed up with the fact that I have a stock Gpz1100 factory oil cooler in my garage to inspect. The factory cooler has a smaller line ID throughout than what I'm using, in fact the smallest opening is around 1/8".

Now I want to know why.

The Z1/KZ pumps are very simple. There's a pressure releif valve in the top of the filter cavity that lets oil back into the pan when pressure gets too high.
On the GPz oil pump that pressure relief valve was moved to the pump and also allows oil back into the pan at a specific pressure, my guess is that its set to open at a higher pressure to deal with pushing oil up and thru the cooler using smaller lines.
Am I making any sense?
Can someone confirm or deny?

The second difference I see is in the filter and the filter bolt itself.
The Z1/KZ part is just a hollow tube with holes for the filter oil to pass thru.
The GPz has a check valve built in that I'm guessing is used to keep the oil cooler oil from draining back out, preventing dry startups.

Confirm deny?

The third difference I'm not sure about, the GPz uses a shorter oil filter with some sort of plate above it.
No Idea why. Higher flow open element? Cheaper or better availability?

Here's what I'm looking at.

And this is the stuff that keeps me up at night, I'm cursed. I just have to know.

The Z1/KZ oil pump doesn't have a pressure relief valve. That is a bypass valve in case the filter gets clogged. The lines and fittings should not be less than 13mm ID. As for the later pump, I have no experiance with them. It could be they are a higher pressure pump and that is a release valve. I'd like to know more about that system.
Steve

More
11 Sep 2016 14:30 #741877 by MadShad
The valve on the kz dumps oil back into the pan' just like the gpz.
I've got my pan off and can see it.

More
11 Sep 2016 14:43 #741879 by MadShad

MadShad wrote: The valve on the kz dumps oil back into the pan' just like the gpz.
I've got my pan off and can see it.

Just kidding.
I see now that it rerouts back into the oil supply.
That throws my theory out the window and is the info I needed.

Thanks!

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
11 Sep 2016 15:35 #741886 by SWest
Can anyone with a 1100 share a diagram of the oiling system on their bike?
Steve

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
11 Sep 2016 20:55 #741914 by SWest
It will soon be time to install a thermo valve for cooler weather.
Steve

Attachments:

• Kray-Z
  • User
  • I need more power Scotty....
More
11 Sep 2016 20:55 - 11 Sep 2016 20:58 #741915 by Kray-Z
Replied by Kray-Z on topic Gpz oiling system vs kz, oil cooler vs non.

Attachment Kawasakikz10001100.jpg not found

The 81 and up "J" bikes w/o factory oil coolers (above) have a fitting bolted onto the crank case just behind the cylinders that houses the oil pressure sending unit (item no. 11). The oil from the pump and filter pushes the spring plunger on the sending unit open, which breaks the oil light ground circuit and extinguishes the light. The oil then flows directly thru the fitting body to the main oil gallery running transversely behind the cylinders to feed the transmission, crankshaft, and head.

As far as I can tell, the bikes that had a factory cooler (my '83 GPz1100 is one) have a different style fitting bolted to the case top that just directs the flow from the pump up thru the cooler hose lines, where all the oil is pumped thru the cooler, then returns into the main gallery. The '81 and '82 GPz1100's still had an oil pressure sensor there.

Attachment Kawasaki81GPz1100coolerfitting.jpg not found

My 83 GPz1100 does not have an oil pressure sending unit, or light / gauge...it relies only on a low oil level sensor in the sump cover at the bottom of the engine.

Other than the two styles of fittings that bolt to the upper crank case, and the oil level sensor in the sump cover, there is no difference that I'm aware of.....the pumps look identical except for the pressure relief valve fitted to the oil - cooler equipped bikes (at least the two I have sitting on the spare parts shelves in my shop)
GPz:

Attachment Kawasaki81GPz1100OilPump.jpg not found

KZ:

Attachment Kawasakikz10001100OilPump.jpg not found

....I don't think there is any advantage of having the pressure relief valve unless they (Kawasaki) were worried about splitting a cooler hose...

2-04 R1, 81 CSR1000, 81 LTD1000, 2-83 GPz1100, 3-79CBX, 81 CBX, 3-XS650, 84 Venture, +parts
Quote "speed costs money...how fast do you want to go?" (Which Z movie?)
Universal formula for how many motorcycles one should own = n + 1, where n is how many motorcycles you own right now....
Attachments:
Last edit: 11 Sep 2016 20:58 by Kray-Z.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest, MadShad

More
11 Sep 2016 21:16 #741917 by MadShad

Kray-Z wrote:

Attachment Kawasakikz10001100.jpg not found

As far as I can tell, the bikes that had a factory cooler (my '83 GPz1100 is one) have a different style fitting bolted to the case top that just directs the flow from the pump up thru the cooler hose lines, where all the oil is pumped thru the cooler, then returns into the main gallery. The '81 and '82 GPz1100's still had an oil pressure sensor there.

....I don't think there is any advantage of having the pressure relief valve unless they (Kawasaki) were worried about splitting a cooler hose...

Well I can say for sure that the fitting plays a part in why the smaller lines aren't working well on the kz.
The fitting used on the Gpz that route oil to the cooler an back again has a passage that bypasses the cooler.
I have one on the bench (earlier GPz one wth pressure switch) and i just now noticed the passage.
Not ALL of the oil goes thru the cooler.

I'll get a pic

The setup I'm using pushes ALL of the oil up into the cooler, which help explain why gpz oil cooler lines are too small for me to run.

I like your logic in the regulatir valve, that could be it.