Spark Plug Gap with Dyna

More
07 Sep 2016 23:54 - 07 Sep 2016 23:58 #741495 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic Spark Plug Gap with Dyna
Actually I thiought they did do that with modern high output ignition systems and wider spark plug gaps. Maybe that's all just EPA emission stuff. But most all air cooled aircraft engines, with two spark plugs per combustion chamber, fire their respective plugs about two degrees off from each other to further increase combustion, rpm and power.

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado
Last edit: 07 Sep 2016 23:58 by missionkz.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Sep 2016 05:54 - 08 Sep 2016 05:57 #741511 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Spark Plug Gap with Dyna
Well, it's been said multiple times on this site, but the idea is that longer spark distance creates a larger initial flame kernel by virtue of being a larger gap. It should be obvious that when the spark is initially struck, if the gap is twice as big, the flame front is twice as long. A larger initial kernel will then spread through the whole charge faster. It's not difficult to test, but is detrimental to the ignition to test it to the extreme. Once you get near 50% to 100% larger than the stock spark gap you can feel the difference. But you are then also running the risk of permanently damaging the ignition. If the ignition stumbles, then you have gone too far.

At about a 50% increase, I've noticed the motor was livelier. Beyond that, the spark starts to find other pathways, so the motor stumbles. I didn't feel like buying new coils so I put the gap back to stock.

Spark energy and duration are not really factors for this. Longer time duration of spark, at a time of high throttle, will only fire through exhausted gases since the flame should be spreading faster than the gases can swirl through the remaining spark. The only instance where duration may be an issue is at idle and lower RPMs when the gases are moving slower, and there is less of it. In that case, a longer duration may promote a smoother idle, but that is usually on motors with a condition issue, or bad carburetion, or bad design.

Racers usually push the limit of spark gap by using CDI. For a stock system or even common aftermarket systems, it is safer to just use the stock gap. Like Ed said, when I buy plugs, they are usually already gapped at the stock value.
Last edit: 08 Sep 2016 05:57 by loudhvx.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.