WTF happened to this 750 twin ?

More
12 Aug 2016 03:46 #738361 by Mk2Rookie
WTF happened to this 750 twin ? was created by Mk2Rookie
Hi,
I just bought a KZ750B from '76 kind of cheap.
Took it apart because of a horrible idle and I was unable to keep the cam chain in the right tension.
I found that the cam chain installed has 132 links and the new chain I bought is 130 links. Can anybody tell me what the correct number of links is for this model ?
And what happened here ?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Aug 2016 06:10 #738371 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic WTF happened to this 750 twin ?
I believe that it should be a 130 link cam chain. The excessive wear may be due to the too long 132 cam chain.

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
12 Aug 2016 08:41 #738385 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic WTF happened to this 750 twin ?
A idjit happened. Be prepared for more creative repairs and maintenance. :( :pinch:

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
12 Aug 2016 08:54 #738386 by wrenchmonkey
Replied by wrenchmonkey on topic WTF happened to this 750 twin ?

TexasKZ wrote: A idjit happened. Be prepared for more creative repairs and maintenance. :( :pinch:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
But it's a hobby, for like, fun... :laugh:

More
12 Aug 2016 08:59 #738388 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic WTF happened to this 750 twin ?
For sure. Sometimes we just have to laugh at what previous owners and pseudo-mechanics will do to avoid doing something the right way.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
12 Aug 2016 12:17 #738404 by Mk2Rookie
Replied by Mk2Rookie on topic WTF happened to this 750 twin ?
Thank you for replying!

It's not the cam chain guide, it's the guide for one of the balancer axles ... Do any of you guys have experience with these chains wearing and getting longer ?

Oh man you have no idea what I am fixing on this bike so far, wrong clutch cable, wrong throttle cables, there mounted 2 relays for hi and low beam inside the headlight, both ends of the wiring harness is put together with those home electricity collector things, the amount of liquid gasket used with the head gasket, wrong camshaft timing and wrong cam chain... But! The bottom of the engine has never been apart, only drove 30000 kilometers but still the head has a recent rebuild !
It will be a good daily driver when I get it sorted.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
12 Aug 2016 17:01 #738435 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic WTF happened to this 750 twin ?
I had one in my bay back in the 80's. The balancer skipped and that thing shook like hell. Even then parts took FOREVER to get from Kawasaki. Being the cam chain was way too long I'd pull the head and check the valves. You can get a peen over master link. Z!E has links with clips but I don't trust them. Pics will help too. B)
Steve

More
13 Aug 2016 03:14 #738475 by Mk2Rookie
I was wondering if i could run the engine without the balancer axles, i guess thats out of the question! Unless, when you say shook like hell, is that more or less than a Yamaha SR 500 ? Because i got used to that!

I already have the head off, i didn't remove the cam chain tensioner assembly completely when i was changing the cam chain, so i dropped the inder part with the springs and it got stock under the crank. That's how i found the worn out parts, i was really hoping i would not have to take the bottom off it before winter. But that thing was stock and i had to. So... I have to assembly it with the worn balancer chain guide, i can only find it the US, it will cost way more with import taxes than i am prepared to spend on this bike right now, this was supposed to be a temporary bike until i get my KZ1000J together.
If anybody out there have parts for this here in Europe, please let me know!

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
13 Aug 2016 07:23 #738500 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic WTF happened to this 750 twin ?
You need the counterbalance equipment. As for parts, can someone buy it here then mail it to you?
Steve

More
13 Aug 2016 16:41 #738572 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic WTF happened to this 750 twin ?
I've sent stuff to some buddies in the UK using the US Postal System's, international Priority Mail and although not cheap, you can tag it as a gift and set the value very low .... so, when doing that, they and I have have lost nothing in transit, nothing was ever damaged and everything always showed up OK ..... and I've been told there is very little to "no" VAT or import fees that way.
Comments?

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

More
15 Aug 2016 10:30 #738758 by Mk2Rookie
Sending parts as gifts or person to person instead of a company name is a good idea. Is anybody up for sending me some parts if I buy them of eBay and ship them too you?

More
15 Aug 2016 10:38 #738759 by Mk2Rookie
I got the balancer chain timed correctly. Found the 4 links that used be brighter than the rest of the chain, marked them with a marker and used a cable tie to fixate the chain to the guide so the timing would not change when putting the lower case on the upper case. Easy enough when you know how!
BUT ! The balancer chain is pushed so far down by the tensioner it is touching the inside of the casing.
Can anybody tell me if this is because of chain wear or tensioner wear? Can't find anything in the manual. Can't font parts. I'm lost!
The engine only has 18000 miles on it, how could that big of a chain wear that much so fast? Or am I missing something about the tensioner ... Any experience with this ? Anybody ?