Anyone use aftermarket cam end plugs?

More
20 Jul 2016 13:59 #735611 by Z550tim
Replied by Z550tim on topic Anyone use aftermarket cam end plugs?

Kray-Z wrote: The factory machining process uses an align boring machine to finish cut the cam bearing surfaces in the head and the caps to size. Think of a shaft running through the entire head with the cutters rotating while fed through each journal, starting at on end of the head then going all the way through to the other. The 1/2 circular holes at the ends of the head are to allow the align boring cutter shaft to extend out of the head to attach the shaft locating guides and the drive motor...

Thanks! that makes sense now. I've always been interested in engines and technical stuff, but this is new to me. I thought maybe those rubber plugs were kind of a dumper if camshafts start moving form side to side.

Anyway just an update to my oversized aftermarket camplugs issue. I fit two of them at one side, without the paper gasket, just to see whether i manage to compress them enough with cover on. I tightened all the cover bolts from the center to the sides, gradually increasing the torque, but still there was very small gap at the aftermarket camplugs side. While on the other side where i left factory ones, the cover touched the head. Such gap is unacceptable, especially if there was additional paper gasket.

Attachment camplug03.jpg not found

Anyway i'll think it over, either i'll try to return them or keep them but i'd have to file the top just a tiny bit like 0.5mm with a sanding paper, and then they should fit perfectly.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
20 Jul 2016 14:15 #735614 by SWest

More
20 Jul 2016 14:19 - 20 Jul 2016 14:21 #735615 by Z550tim
Replied by Z550tim on topic Anyone use aftermarket cam end plugs?

missionkz wrote: I'm not sure this applies here due to the through bolt but I've always installed end caps with the lip on the outside of the casting....??.

Mines were with the lip inside the engine, thats how my factory ones were installed when i bought the bike, but they could have been put wrong by previous owner, Eg all the exhaust collars were installed the opposite way, obviously it didn't work causing leaks.
Anyway, i'll just add one more picture of my aftermarket plug next to the factory one,

Attachment camplug04.jpg not found

They really look identical, even feel the same, hard rubber with some metal reinforcement inside. Its just the issue with height, so they are sticking out above the head surface, a little bit too much. The bolt hole, shape, is the same.
Attachments:
Last edit: 20 Jul 2016 14:21 by Z550tim.

More
20 Jul 2016 16:08 #735638 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic Anyone use aftermarket cam end plugs?
They are supposed to stick up over the aluminum casting a bit.
The new, soft gasket and rubber edge of the plug dig into each other to seal up.
And for some reason, I can't remember seeing those plugs with the lip anywhere other then the outside of the casting.
I think you should do some more research on this.
I'd hate to steer you wrong.

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado