Copper cylinder head washers

More
13 Jul 2016 23:13 #734870 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Copper cylinder head washers
The copper ones harden with age.
The outer ones need to seal to prevent oil weeping up from the outer oil gallery studs.
New ones are work hardened from new due to being stamped out of sheet copper when made and really need annealing before use.
Heat them till they glow orange and either let them cool naturally or quench in cold water .
Either way produces the same result but quenching removes any oxides and leaves them clean .

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Z1Driver
  • User
  • love the smell of triple smoke
More
14 Jul 2016 00:44 #734872 by Z1Driver
Replied by Z1Driver on topic Copper cylinder head washers

zed1015 wrote: The copper ones harden with age.
The outer ones need to seal to prevent oil weeping up from the outer oil gallery studs.
New ones are work hardened from new due to being stamped out of sheet copper when made and really need annealing before use.
Heat them till they glow orange and either let them cool naturally or quench in cold water .
Either way produces the same result but quenching removes any oxides and leaves them clean .

Makes some since and agree with dropping in water. My new washers are not leaking. Yea!

Blue 1975 Z1B
Red 2009 Concours 14

• Bozo
  • Sustaining Member
  • Ride it like u stole it
More
14 Jul 2016 03:47 #734876 by Bozo
Replied by Bozo on topic Copper cylinder head washers
I re-use my copper washers by annealing, I also used to anneal the H1 copper head gaskets, especially when the heads used to be removed regularly

First Permanent ride the Z1R since Dec1977 (220,000km) as of June 2015
Second permanent bike 1989 FJ1200 dyno'd 140RWH, great bike.
Third ride is now the Frankenstein 1981 GPZ1100B1, 1983 fully recon motor fitted LOVE THIS BIKE
Forth my work bike FJ1200 1989 (same type as FJ above)