Oil in Fuel ?

More
08 Jul 2016 19:08 #734320 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Oil in Fuel ?

650ed wrote: True. My BSA Cyclone engine had the breather tube on an port in the engine case directly above the counter sprocket to keep the chain lubed. Ed

I like it! :side:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TexasKZ
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
More
08 Jul 2016 19:27 #734323 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Oil in Fuel ?
All automotive engines built prior to 1967 had the same system, it was called a road draft tube.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

• kzdcw
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
More
08 Jul 2016 20:05 - 08 Jul 2016 20:08 #734331 by kzdcw
Replied by kzdcw on topic Oil in Fuel ?
I don't believe I have any contaminants in the gas tank but who knows ? I've ran a couple of tank fill ups so far but will keep an eye on my observations. I have ran some Techron fuel additive but didn't think that would cause a problem ?

I really like the vent tube idea from the canister that Patton has pictured :) :)

I was thinking that with the possibility of bad oil rings or valve stem seals, that maybe the oil I am observing is blow by from those areas but maybe that's a stretch :unsure: :unsure:

77' KZ1000A
Last edit: 08 Jul 2016 20:08 by kzdcw.

More
09 Jul 2016 03:21 - 09 Jul 2016 03:23 #734342 by flhwesty
Replied by flhwesty on topic Oil in Fuel ?
I just bought the WRONG crank case filter. Glad I read this thread. I am not buying another, just a length of tube.
Thanks!!!!!!

1983 GPZ750
1977 KZ1000LTD
1978 Z1R
1981 GPz1100 KZ1100-B1
Last edit: 09 Jul 2016 03:23 by flhwesty. Reason: spelling mistake
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

• Street Fighter LTD
  • Away
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
09 Jul 2016 16:00 #734371 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Oil in Fuel ?
Take your oil vent hose to the drive chain making sure that the hose is fastened inside your chain guard PAST the leading side of the rear tire. Itherwise you risk oil being directed on to the rear tire tread.
Oil coming out of the tube should be minimal but still a hazard to traction. Boosted motors are a whole different ball game as the crankcase is now under pressure of the turbo and much more prone to large amounts of oil blow by.
If oil valve seals are old that is the first place I would look for smoking motor syndrome ..
Good Luck
Dave B) B) B)

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

• kzdcw
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
More
09 Jul 2016 18:54 - 09 Jul 2016 18:57 #734392 by kzdcw
Motor doesn't smoke during start-up or even while being ridden. I can't see any oil smoke of any color coming out of muffler so maybe oil rings and valve stem seals are still good :whistle:

Is that what you refer to as "smoking motor syndrome" ?

77' KZ1000A
Last edit: 09 Jul 2016 18:57 by kzdcw.

• Street Fighter LTD
  • Away
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
10 Jul 2016 05:45 #734422 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Oil in Fuel ?

kzdcw wrote: Motor doesn't smoke during start-up or even while being ridden. I can't see any oil smoke of any color coming out of muffler so maybe oil rings and valve stem seals are still good :whistle:

Is that what you refer to as "smoking motor syndrome" ?

YES

Dont have Xray vision so I dont know anything for sure as to the condition of rings, Valvetrain, so unless you check things its all best guess.
How old are all internal rubber seals and o rings ? Meaning when is last time motor was apart ?
From what you say that you have no visible smoke so OK fine.
Light oil residue in the area near the crankcase vent tube is normal.
1rst the motor has to warm up and expell all moisture which condensed in the crankcase during engine cool down.
2nd while coming up to temp the heated water turns to water vapor and expanses causing it to be forced out the vent.
This water still carries some oil so as it hits the area behind the motor it sticks to all surfaces. This all can be hard to spot , but it is happening. Take your vent hose to a catch can or to the chain and it will stop this condition from leaving oil mist on the motor and carbs.
Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

• kzdcw
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
More
10 Jul 2016 15:23 #734477 by kzdcw
Motor to my knowledge was never apart. As I said when I first purchased this bike and put it back together to where it's running now, from the look of things as I was repairing it, it looked like it had seen better days. As the old saying goes "rode hard and put away wet".

77' KZ1000A